No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here's a random, odd question...does alcohol go bad once it's opened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      So here's a random, odd question...does alcohol go bad once it's opened?
      The alcohol itself will not, but beverages aren't pure alcohol, so here's a list of when each type of beverage goes bad.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The alcohol itself will not, but beverages aren't pure alcohol, so here's a list of when each type of beverage goes bad.
        Huh. My mom has a bottle of whiskey that she uses when baking this one Greek pastry. She only needs, like, less than a shot of it each time she makes it. She doesn't drink it. She's had this one bottle since before my dad passed away two years ago. Maybe even longer. I should tell her to start buying nips instead.

Comment

Huh. My mom has a bottle of whiskey that she uses when baking this one Greek pastry. She only needs, like, less than a shot of it each time she makes it. She doesn't drink it. She's had this one bottle since before my dad passed away two years ago. Maybe even longer. I should tell her to start buying nips instead.
          I assume it's the additives, coloring, etc that go bad.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So here's a random, odd question...does alcohol go bad once it's opened?
            Yes. In a way. The good stuff oxidizes. Unless it's cheap and aggressively flavored.

A few interesting anecdotes. I've had a bottle of glenmorangie 18 for about 8 years now. Taste has improved over time despite being open.

The bottle of Kraken we finished last week has been open since college. Tasted great still.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• One thing coming to the GR area sometime next year, pending funds, is a dry LGBT nightclub. Mocktails and entertainment without the pressure of booze.

Because it sucks when you want to go out with your girls on Friday and your only options are water and Diet Coke. That there's nothing to meet your needs that isn't a "family" establishment.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Question: how on earth are they going to make money?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Question: how on earth are they going to make money?
                  Right now, lots of previews and fundraising. If the turnout for the previews are any indication, they will make a lot of money.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Grand Rapids is known as Beer City, with several mediocre breweries popping up each month.

As such, lots of recovering alcoholics.

Those of us in the LGBT community, and GR has a thriving LGBT population, are prone to higher rates of alcohol and substance use due to the mere act of living.

Us sober queers have been wanting a place to go that's not a "family" establishment or a meeting on weekends. There's a need and a demand.

And the person who has the vision knows their **** and surrounded themselves with a good team.

Comment

Question: how on earth are they going to make money?
                      If you do it right, it's feasible. The mocktails have to be a little more sophisticated than just sodas and juices, but we're talking about a prospective LGBTQ club here so I'm sure they're aware of their audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

If you do it right, it's feasible. The mocktails have to be a little more sophisticated than just sodas and juices, but we're talking about a prospective LGBTQ club here so I'm sure they're aware of their audience.
                        Yeah. I'm just wondering how many people are willing to regularly pay enough for non-alcoholic drinks to keep a place open.
                        Code:

Comment

Yeah. I'm just wondering how many people are willing to regularly pay enough for non-alcoholic drinks to keep a place open.
                          Based on what I went to Saturday, more than you think.

Comment

• Could be
                            Code:

Comment

• The 3 Types of Bars:
                              • Drunk tanks
                              • The Big Game
                              • Meat markets

Only one requires booze. So you can get people in the door but you need another way to fleece them than $8 for an 80 cent drink.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat

So, what's your solution?
                                I don't have one. I'm saying you could be right and I'm acknowledging there may be a market for that night club.

My original posts were based on general models of after dark establishments. I notice that a lot of places that don't sell alcohol in the evening tend to not do well. Most movie theaters I've been to prepandemic serve or were looking to add hooch, for example. Certainly not all businesses open after dark that don't serve alcohol will fail (Taco Bell, coffee shops, etc.) I've just never heard anyone ask "Do you know of any places we could go that don't serve alcohol?" But that's not my demo, so...

There could be a market. There could be a huge market. I have no idea. and even if there's even a small market, it's absolutely possible that an establishment will do great if it can corner that market. Especially if they are good at whatever product or service they offer.

The basic "research" I did after my post was that these establishments exist, have been growing in popularity in some respects, but struggle long term and often add alcohol as an option.

But it's a growing segment. Whether it's here to stay is tbd. I wish the project the best of luck.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X