Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Well, today is the last day of Dry May. I think the hard reset on alcohol was needed. I have no idea if sobriety is a permanent thing with me, or if I'll go back to my 1-2 drinks on the weekend and call it good.

I never moved/dumped what I had in my fridge and freezer, although ignoring it became much easier after two weeks.

Before Pandemic 2020, I had an okay relationship with booze, but it became easy to say "**** it" every night and have something every night in April. But getting "blasmed" before class wasn't the best idea.

If I decide to drink, I have my rules in place. We'll see what happens tomorrow night.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

MT, this isn't directed to you but a general rule. If somebody thinks they might have a drinking issue, the first rule of thumb is: never drink alone.

It's neither necessary nor sufficient, but it's quite useful and it's a bright line.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        MT, this isn't directed to you but a general rule. If somebody thinks they might have a drinking issue, the first rule of thumb is: never drink alone.

It's neither necessary nor sufficient, but it's quite useful and it's a bright line.
        Never get drunk alone.

Having a nightcap alone, as you relax with a book, or the internet, or a movie, sure. That's ok.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I guess I'm projecting. I never need alcohol unless it's to deal with other people. "I drink to make other people more interesting." -- Hemmingway.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• 9/1: Surly Brewhall employees notified management of their intent to unuonize

9/2: Surly shutting down brewhall 11/2

This guy won’t be buying surly anymore.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              9/1: Surly Brewhall employees notified management of their intent to unuonize

9/2: Surly shutting down brewhall 11/2

This guy won’t be buying surly anymore.
              It has been very popular on social media to list these two as "cause and effect," but I think that's an extreme over-simplification of what occurred.

First, all the employees did is provide notice of their intent to unionize. This is notification to the employer that they have obtained signatures from at least 50% of the employees (I think it's still 50%) stating they have an interest in unionizing.

No union has been formed yet. The next step, after the NLRB looks into certain issues, is for the union and the employer to engage in a "campaign" during which time the union tries to persuade employees to vote for a union and the employer tries to persuade employees to not vote for the union.

Just because you got 50% of the employees to sign a card doesn't mean there is going to be a union. Many campaigns fail. I don't know the exact percentage but the last time that I looked something like close to 35-40% of union campaigns fail once a vote is taken. It's a lot easier for a union organizer to get someone to just sign a card (it's only a card saying we should have a vote, is usually the argument), than it is to actually vote in the union. Plus, the employer will put incredible pressure on the employees to keep the union out.

So yeah, there might have ended up being a union at Surly, but they were a long way away from it.

In the meantime, they have this giant beer hall that used to be jammed with customers and events that sits there empty due to Covid. They probably got a PPP loan which carried them for awhile, but in the end they are like pretty much every other bar and restaurant in the state, which is to say, they are probably very close to closing (maybe for good). It seems like every day I read about a bar or restaurant that is shuttering its doors. I'm just surprised the toll hasn't been larger, although it's been my assumption that once summer is over and outdoor dining and socializing becomes impossible here in Minnesota, they're going to start dropping like flies. That's why Surly picked November. Their outdoor area will be useless after that.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• I'll agree with Hovey's take on this... These are two independent events that happened to come to light at the same time...

This is just coincidental bad timing...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Saw this kerfuffle via MN Twitter friends yesterday, and I'd have to agree with Hovey's take, despite the rosebots losing their sh*t and declaring them cancelled.

Of course, I don't even drink anymore so this is a moot debate for me.

Comment

• It could be coincidence. I'll give you that. Either way, not a great look. Unless you have a very compelling reason to announce the closure 24 hours after your employees announce intent to unionize, it seems pretty stupid.

https://***********/mattdelong/statu...35600134205441

Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It could be coincidence. I'll give you that. Either way, not a great look. Unless you have a very compelling reason to announce the closure 24 hours after your employees announce intent to unionize, it seems pretty stupid.

https://***********/mattdelong/statu...35600134205441
                      As Surly's owners were weighing the decision to keep the beer hall open or not, certainly the union announcement didn't help tip the scales in favor of remaining open. Undoubtedly the cost of a union campaign and the additional hassles associated with shutting down a plant and laying off union employees if/when a union gets voted in was something on the minds of the owners. I don't know how those economic issues couldn't be, along with all of the other economic issues to consider. It would sort of be like learning the cost of other inputs (say, kegs) are about to go up. In all likelihood it was a factor. I just don't know that it was the factor.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

As Surly's owners were weighing the decision to keep the beer hall open or not, certainly the union announcement didn't help tip the scales in favor of remaining open. Undoubtedly the cost of a union campaign and the additional hassles associated with shutting down a plant and laying off union employees if/when a union gets voted in was something on the minds of the owners. I don't know how those economic issues couldn't be, along with all of the other economic issues to consider. It would sort of be like learning the cost of other inputs (say, kegs) are about to go up. In all likelihood it was a factor. I just don't know that it was the factor.
                        Don't disagree.
                        Code:

Comment

• When I was drinking, I told my supervisor at my internship what I was drinking when I was drinking. I was drinking Rose, Moscato, and whipped cream vodka. She told me she was judging me under her mask and called me a Basic White B-tch. All done with love.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Some of my employees ponied up for the birthday this year. 1 bottle each of Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Balvenie DoubleWood 12!

Comment

• I thought you couldn’t get those. A mutual friend once sent you several bottles a couple years ago. :-)
                              Code:

Comment

I thought you couldn’t get those. A mutual friend once sent you several bottles a couple years ago. :-)
                                Depending upon the bottle some are easier than others to buy locally. : )

Comment

Working...
                                X