Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    At 38... I can't process hard liquor like I could at 23-24.
    Said literally everyone.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm currently going dry, but when I have alcohol again, I set some basic rules to help me keep it in moderation instead of every night.

1. Drink 1-2 nights a week. Not on nights I have to wake up for work.
      2. 1 glass at a time. Don't kill the bottle of wine, don't have another beer, don't have two glasses of hard liquor when I clearly cannot handle it. Processing liquor at 38 is different than at 23.
      3. Establish a drop dead time for drinking. If the clock reads 7:30 PM or later, no alcohol. Fs up my sleep.
      4. Even though I have plenty of it in the house, I keep bringing home new bottles from Meijer or Aldi. No more. Use what I have, THEN get more.

I notice when I followed these rules in the past, I felt better and I had it under control. And I also know right now, hardly anything is under my control, so I've been drinking to cope. Hence the need to go dry until the SIPs are lifted.
      Good on you for realizing something had to change, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Good on you for realizing something had to change, and good luck.
        And the last couple mornings, I've felt a bit tired, but it's not "lay in bed until 8 because you had two glasses of whiskey last night."

And I will tell you this: Wednesday night, I had two glasses of Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey. It's good, yes. However, during my 9:30 PM class, I was out of it. I didn't take notes on an assessment I had to do, I wanted to go to bed, and I wanted to throw up. The instructor asked me to wait for her after class, but after a few minutes, I grew impatient and left the Zoom meeting. Right after I clicked "Leave Meeting," I started to cry. The alcohol had ramped up my anxiety to the point of tears, saying I can't do this, I'm a fraud and a failure, etc.

Thursday morning, I was supposed to drive for Door Dash. Instead, I deleted my dash and laid in bed until 8 AM, then struggled to get moving. That's when I realized things had to change.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I just know that my amygdala loves booze. The rest of my body does not and it eventually rebels.

Comment

I just know that my amygdala loves booze. The rest of my body does not and it eventually rebels.
            I also have people planning to reach out to me on occasion. Not to establish co-dependency, but to ask me how my day was. I also have some very light 15-30 minute yoga and Pilates workouts I can pop in to distract myself if need me.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I also have people planning to reach out to me on occasion. Not to establish co-dependency, but to ask me how my day was. I also have some very light 15-30 minute yoga and Pilates workouts I can pop in to distract myself if need me.
              If you're doing other things, you are not drinking. That's key.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                If you're doing other things, you are not drinking. That's key.
                In my job, we call that Reinforcement of Incompatible Behaviors. And workouts are their own reinforcement.

Comment

In my job, we call that Reinforcement of Incompatible Behaviors. And workouts are their own reinforcement.
                  I know for ex-smokers, they buy something like licorice, or toothpicks, beef sticks, etc. Something to literally chew on, in place of a cigarette.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I know for ex-smokers, they buy something like licorice, or toothpicks, beef sticks, etc. Something to literally chew on, in place of a cigarette.
                    Mmm. Licorice.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

When Alice Cooper quit drinking, he took up golf. Got good enough to play in celebrity pro-am charity tournaments.

Comment

When Alice Cooper quit drinking, he took up golf. Got good enough to play in celebrity pro-am charity tournaments.
                        Yep. He's actually quite the golfer, all things considered.

Comment

Note to self: start drinking heavily, so I can quit drinking and then get better at golf.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Note to self: start drinking heavily, so I can quit drinking and then get better at golf.
                            That is a sound plan. Good thinking on your part!

I'd listen to me, I'm pre-med.

Comment

That is a sound plan. Good thinking on your part!

I'd listen to me, I'm pre-med.
                              I thought you were pre-law?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I thought you were pre-law?
                                Double major...
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X