Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    We all have hopes and dreams. Honestly Schramm's is outstanding. The only other one I've had that I've loved is https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/pr...533/?ba=Wobbly Viking Blod. Very traditional, although still only at 19%.

B Nektar is nice and all, but it's definitely mead-lite.
    That Viking Blod is at my local wine store -- I loved it.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am sad that I didn't pick up more Founder's Blushing Monk when I had the chance. Bought 2, drank 1, and was able to find 1 more at a local bottle shop. That stuff is delightful. Even tcbg (who thinks my taste in booze is f*ing weird) loved it .

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        I am sad that I didn't pick up more Founder's Blushing Monk when I had the chance. Bought 2, drank 1, and was able to find 1 more at a local bottle shop. That stuff is delightful. Even tcbg (who thinks my taste in booze is f*ing weird) loved it .
        Bought 2? As in four packs? They didn't do bombers this time around, from what I know. And I know there is a store by me that still has some. Not much, but some.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Bought 2? As in four packs? They didn't do bombers this time around, from what I know. And I know there is a store by me that still has some. Not much, but some.
          Nope - 2. Most of the craft beer shops around here are bottle shops - you can buy in packs or create your own 6 packs with just singles of everything in stock (some exceptions, of course, like CBS or other specialty stuff).

Comment

Nope - 2. Most of the craft beer shops around here are bottle shops - you can buy in packs or create your own 6 packs with just singles of everything in stock (some exceptions, of course, like CBS or other specialty stuff).
            Gotcha. You easterners are weird.

(although, yes, sometimes stores around here do limits for the special stuff)
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Gotcha. You easterners are weird.

(although, yes, sometimes stores around here do limits for the special stuff)
              Hardly news or a surprise
              It does make it easy to sample a lot of stuff, which is nice. Also, when you get a real dud (like Marsh Island's PB You, Who) at least you aren't stuck with a bunch.

Comment

Hardly news or a surprise
                It does make it easy to sample a lot of stuff, which is nice. Also, when you get a real dud (like Marsh Island's PB You, Who) at least you aren't stuck with a bunch.
                There is a brewery that does all sorts of amazing 1940s pinup art on its bottles and I bought some just on the strength of their aesthetic art.

The beer itself was atrocious.

That was when the singles rule really came in handy (mitigated by the fact that I'd gotten 3 or 4 different singles of theirs).

Found it; it's Fordham-Dominion out of DE.

YMMV on the taste of the beer since I detest hoppy IPAs.

Apparently they have a Tripel called Candi so maybe that's good:

Some of their other labels:

I sense a pattern.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A lot of times, I wonder why breweries don't put more effort into their beer, rather than the artwork/labels.

Found some Hoof Hearted tonight (although it's via contract brew). Still delicious.

And while I like the option of single bottles, sometimes I want that full 4 or 6 pack (and it's usually a couple bucks cheaper that way). *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    There is a brewery that does all sorts of amazing 1940s pinup art on its bottles and I bought some just on the strength of their aesthetic art.

The beer itself was atrocious.

That was when the singles rule really came in handy (mitigated by the fact that I'd gotten 3 or 4 different singles of theirs).
                    [**** lady pix]
                    I sense a pattern.
                    Well, it's hard to argue with those looks. Too bad the beer sucked.
                    A lot of times, I wonder why breweries don't put more effort into their beer, rather than the artwork/labels.

Found some Hoof Hearted tonight (although it's via contract brew). Still delicious.

And while I like the option of single bottles, sometimes I want that full 4 or 6 pack (and it's usually a couple bucks cheaper that way). *shrug*
                    Most bottle stores sell both options, though no perk usually to buying the full pack as opposed to the singles. Most of my variety came from our Monday night trivia outing at a taphouse. It seems that the place is either going under or not doing well because they got rid of the trivia guys and it's always empty regardless of time of day or day of the week (even on trivia night - it's dead until 7pm and then dies again immediately after trivia ends at 9:15). They have had zero success in keeping any sort of cook or steady menu, which is really frustrating (we have been eating dinner before we go for months, which is obnoxious since we need to leave at 6:30 to get there and park).
                    *shrug* Have to do a little more work to find new stuff and new places to drink.

ETA - we can't say $exy? Seriously?!

Comment

I know Founders KBS was about $24/4pk, but it was $6-$7/bottle in my area. Seems to be par for the course, for any beer (the discount, that is, not the actual price)

Comment

I know Founders KBS was about $24/4pk, but it was $6-$7/bottle in my area. Seems to be par for the course, for any beer (the discount, that is, not the actual price)
                        They can't seem to give it away here - It's been on sale and there are still packs left.

Comment

They can't seem to give it away here - It's been on sale and there are still packs left.
                          They massively upped production starting last year. There's still some here, too. Same with Barrel Aged Surly Darkness (and reg Darkness, although the regular sold out about a month ago, released in Oct, IIRC).

Comment

They massively upped production starting last year. There's still some here, too. Same with Barrel Aged Surly Darkness (and reg Darkness, although the regular sold out about a month ago, released in Oct, IIRC).
                            Ah - I couldn't figure out why it was still around. I have a few, but I don't need a ton. I still have 2016, 2017, and 2018 in my basement. And tcbg doesn't drink it - he doesn't really do barrel stuff (despite a fondness for bourbon). I think I had regular Surly Darkness on tap at Travail last April when we were out there.

Comment

Ah - I couldn't figure out why it was still around. I have a few, but I don't need a ton. I still have 2016, 2017, and 2018 in my basement. And tcbg doesn't drink it - he doesn't really do barrel stuff (despite a fondness for bourbon). I think I had regular Surly Darkness on tap at Travail last April when we were out there.
                              2017 was missing something, but much better after a year. 2018 is back on track. Both are good, but 2017 just tasted like a run of the mill BA Stout, not worthy of the Darkness name, IMO. There are better BA Stouts out there, for sure, in any case, even local to MN (Lift Bridge).

Comment

I’m not sure I’d put BA Silhouette above BAD. Not as a baseline assumption at least.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X