Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You’re probably right. I still think the best bourbon on the shelves is Woodford Reserve. And it’s barely middle of the pack in price for common brands. It’s about the 15th percentile in cost. The stuff at the 99th percentile like pappy doesn’t warrant the price.

The best wines are probably in the $40-$75 range. Great wines are in the $30-$50 range. Very good, $20-40. Most of my table wines are in the $10-$15 range. I really struggle with a lot of the stuff under $10.

Some wines really punch way above their price though. Those are the diamonds. Trader Joe’s grand reserve batch 92 or 94 was ****ing GREAT for its price.
    I just found an amazing sauv Blanc for about 30- that 25-35 price can be a real sweet spot

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Yeah. I just wish the wine community had better 21st century resources to find stuff that matches your tasting profile better. Untappd is AMAZING but there isn’t anything like it for wine or hooch. Vivino is barely tolerable.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        For beer it wasn't the cost of the beer itself, but it became the additional costs associated with trying to get your hands on something that wasn't distributed to every single store. Around Chicago many of the specialty shops have beer clubs/memberships (~$70-125/year) that get you access to limited releases and vintage stock. Stores that don't have that going play the game where only 1/3 of their order goes out for sale to the general population. The other 2/3 get set aside for their "regulars". Which I get, but at the same time, those are people that are in the shop 2-3 times per week and are spending $100+ regularly on trips there. Been told a couple of times that even though I've been a regular, I don't spend nearly enough to get special treatment.

I don't mind spending on a good or unique bottle of beer for occasions. It's just a tremendous amount of time/money/effort to acquire them...
        I've run into that. I prefer stores that have straight up lists for stuff, but those are disappearing. Thankfully, I know a good amount of people that will mule for me, and I mule for them. For example, pretty easy to get Dark Lord (Three Floyds) for rather cheap. You throw out an "In Search Of" and you'll prob get a response or two. Also, you get the "I'm going here, anyone want anything?" factor.

There is some stuff I would like, but as you said, money factor. Not worth it. Time, IMO, is the biggest factor. Forager Brewing (Rochester MN) is becoming very time consuming. Last bottle release, showed up at 2pm the day before the release, and was about 18th in line.

Surly Darkness Day eventually moved to Somerset, WI, to deal with the crowds.

And now the bourbon market is also beyond crazy.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Not sure if I want bourbon and Coke, the Miss Thundercat (bourbon and chocolate chili liqueur), St. Julian Social Butterfly (basically their Rosé), or Middle Sister Sweet & Sassy Moscato.

I just know I can't drink 1.5 bottles of wine in one night again.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Not sure if I want bourbon and Coke, the Miss Thundercat (bourbon and chocolate chili liqueur), St. Julian Social Butterfly (basically their Rosé), or Middle Sister Sweet & Sassy Moscato.

I just know I can't drink 1.5 bottles of wine in one night again.
            Sounds like you're flipping between heavy and light. Try an Irish whiskey/hard cider mix.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              Sounds like you're flipping between heavy and light. Try an Irish whiskey/hard cider mix.
              I have neither right now. Though those two things will be on the list when I go back to the store.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                I have neither right now. Though those two things will be on the list when I go back to the store.
                One oz whiskey per 12 oz cider. Called a Johnny Jump Up. Quite refreshing.

Comment

Careful with Johnny jump ups. They sneak up on you. You’re consuming two drinks in one. Two of those is almost equivalent to a bottle of wine.

Better for refreshing is a very weak gin and tonic. You can drink one or a couple. When I want a sip on a gorgeous day I do tonic, lime juice, and a splash of gin. Better yet can be seltzer and bitters. Sounds kind of weird but it’s actully kind of awesome.

I also make homemade raspberry iced tea. Brew several bags of black tea with a little honey, then let it chill for a couple minutes undiluted. I like to make it very concentrated. Then before it’s had a chance to cool too much, I dump in frozen raspberries from my mom’s garden. It goes great with a little bourbon in it.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Settled on the Middle Sister Sweet and Sassy Moscato. Sweet enough for me to finish the bottle tonight.

Next time, I should have this with or after cake and ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Careful with Johnny jump ups. They sneak up on you. You’re consuming two drinks in one. Two of those is almost equivalent to a bottle of wine.

Better for refreshing is a very weak gin and tonic. You can drink one or a couple. When I want a sip on a gorgeous day I do tonic, lime juice, and a splash of gin. Better yet can be seltzer and bitters. Sounds kind of weird but it’s actully kind of awesome.

I also make homemade raspberry iced tea. Brew several bags of black tea with a little honey, then let it chill for a couple minutes undiluted. I like to make it very concentrated. Then before it’s had a chance to cool too much, I dump in frozen raspberries from my mom’s garden. It goes great with a little bourbon in it.
                      Agreed on the Johnnys. They are dangerous.

Comment

I just wanna see God, even if the mead is a little harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Last week, when I drank 1.5 bottles of wine, I saw her. She looked upset...

"My child, why did you DO THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Mead? This is all you need to know:

https://www.schrammsmead.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              Mead? This is all you need to know:

https://www.schrammsmead.com/
                              The only problem with mead is it is about 80 proof light.

Give me mead with the alcohol content of Austria schnapps, please.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The only problem with mead is it is about 80 proof light.

Give me mead with the alcohol content of Austria schnapps, please.
                                We all have hopes and dreams. Honestly Schramm's is outstanding. The only other one I've had that I've loved is https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/pr...533/?ba=Wobbly Viking Blod. Very traditional, although still only at 19%.

B Nektar is nice and all, but it's definitely mead-lite.

Comment

Working...
                                X