Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Excelsior has a dragonfruit milkshake IPA that tastes like a dragonfruit milkshake. It’s phenomenal. I’m not sure bbdl has had raw dragonfruit before else I don’t think he would have tagged on it.

Dragonfruit is NOT sweet. The flavor is absolutely spot on. Delicious.

Also: two new tin signs in three stops! My garage is starting to fill up.
    That beer was terrible, at least the batch I had. It was cloyingly sweet, like an artificial sweetened syrup was added, with a sharp bitterness. It tasted to me like they screwed up the base NE IPA, making it too bitter, or using the wrong types of hops for that style, and they tried to fix it by adding more and more lactose. The issues I had with that beer had nothing to do with dragonfruit, it was just a poorly brewed beer.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      That beer was terrible, at least the batch I had. It was cloyingly sweet, like an artificial sweetened syrup was added, with a sharp bitterness. It tasted to me like they screwed up the base NE IPA, making it too bitter, or using the wrong types of hops for that style, and they tried to fix it by adding more and more lactose. The issues I had with that beer had nothing to do with dragonfruit, it was just a poorly brewed beer.
      fair enough. Maybe I got a different one?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

fair enough. Maybe I got a different one?
        Well, I had it several months ago, so this must be a new batch by now, hopefully they improved on it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Omni FAD (NE IIPA):

Their tropical milkshake IPA was delicious. Decided to give this one a go. The taste is overly hoppy, although they did get the hazy juicy texture down to a T. I think a tweak or two, and it'd be up there for this style. I give credit on the "Freakin' Awesome Delicious" name, though. Nice play on that.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Brits throw a spanner into the works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45283401

To which I reply:
            https://youtu.be/OI3Bcgh4Jko
            Last edited by joecct; 08-24-2018, 04:16 AM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Waconia Brewing is solid. On my way home from Hutchinson and it’s worth the slight detour.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Waconia Brewing is solid. On my way home from Hutchinson and it’s worth the slight detour.
                Very good beer. Love their peanut butter porter and raspberry wheat, both of which you can get in cans.

Per post on GPL, Tallgrass Brewing is suspending operations, and that could be permanent. Their Buffalo Sweat is outstanding.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

BBC radio ran a feature this morning on speedway stout (and its 22.50 pound pint price) being introduced in a London craft beer pub.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    BBC radio ran a feature this morning on speedway stout (and its 22.50 pound pint price) being introduced in a London craft beer pub.
                    Speedway Stout (and its variants) is a solid beer.

Comment

Lagunitas: isn't that a macro disguised as craft?
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        Lagunitas: isn't that a macro disguised as craft?
                        IIRC, yes. Heineken owns it. From what I know, Heineken just wants the money, they are not messing with the brewery itself, unlike what InBev does. To that point, Ballast Point is also a macro.

Look for the upside down bottle logo: https://www.brewersassociation.org/b...t-brewer-seal/

Definition of craft brew to get the seal: https://www.brewersassociation.org/s...rewer-defined/

Comment

Ignore that craft brew marketing crap. If the brewery produces quality stuff, who cares?

And craft shouldn’t be determined by parent companies. If it’s run independent of the parent and under the BBLs/yr limit or whatever nonsense they assign to it now, it’s still craft. I don’t care what some marketer pays to have a super special seal on it. Especially if it’s good stuff like Lagunitas.

I know some people get bent out of shape about it, but I say drink whatever tastes good.
                          Code:

Comment

Ignore that craft brew marketing crap. If the brewery produces quality stuff, who cares?

And craft shouldn’t be determined by parent companies. If it’s run independent of the parent and under the BBLs/yr limit or whatever nonsense they assign to it now, it’s still craft. I don’t care what some marketer pays to have a super special seal on it. Especially if it’s good stuff like Lagunitas.

I know some people get bent out of shape about it, but I say drink whatever tastes good.
                            The seal is free. It just signifies completely independent craft.
                            InBev *ed up Goose Island.
                            Some other places just bought the craft places for the dollar, and are not messing with the beer. I will still buy from those places on occasion, but still try to stick to indie craft places.

Comment

Well, then don’t drink goose island.

I highly doubt the seal is free. Trade groups like that almost always charge a fee to put their mark on your product. You know beer pretty well so I could be wrong.
                              Code:

Comment

Well, then don’t drink goose island.

I highly doubt the seal is free. Trade groups like that almost always charge a fee to put their mark on your product. You know beer pretty well so I could be wrong.
                                This was created simply to differentiate indie craft brewers that have no possible influence from bigger companies. It's basically an internet sticker to inform the consumer that they are truly independent. Micro-craft-macro definitions are defined by volume produced. Sam Adams is (was?) in danger of being defined as a macro, due to the volume they produced, and they tried (are trying) to up the limits (which I think is bs). They don't want to be labeled as a macro. There's a stigma with that amongst craft beer consumers.

I still buy Ballast Point, once it was determined that their parent company flat out said, "We're not messing with the product." When InBev took over Goose, they put in their own brewers (and the Goose brewers started Off Color brewing). When InBev bought up Wicked Weed, the head brewer quit that day and went to work for BrewDog (I believe that was the name of the brewery).

It's just more info for the consumer, so the consumer knows what they are buying.

Edit: I still buy a bottle of BCS every year, and also every year I come closer to not buying it at all. 2 of the last 3 years, they've made it easier by screwing up the quality of what once was a grand beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X