Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Yamazaki 18 is an ok tasting whiskey. It’s about 4-8x the cost I would put it at. It’s driven mostly by hype and scarcity. I’ve had the 12 and the 18 side-by-side and the only thing they reallly, really have going for them is their flawlessness. And I don’t necessarily mean that in a good way. Because they lose a lot of character being perfect. I wouldn’t pay anywhere close to face or market price. Fun once or twice to say you’ve had it, but I wouldn’t spend it on a bottle. It’s just a little too boring.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Yamazaki 18 is an ok tasting whiskey. It’s about 4-8x the cost I would put it at. It’s driven mostly by hype and scarcity. I’ve had the 12 and the 18 side-by-side and the only thing they reallly, really have going for them is their flawlessness. And I don’t necessarily mean that in a good way. Because they lose a lot of character being perfect. I wouldn’t pay anywhere close to face or market price. Fun once or twice to say you’ve had it, but I wouldn’t spend it on a bottle. It’s just a little too boring.
      I wouldn't pay the price right now for the 18, no way. I would've have probably paid what it was being sold for a couple years ago. Also have had both, and I can see your point on the flawlessness.

BTW, that restaurant/bar in Hopkins finally sold out of the 18, about a month ago.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I had the 12 when it was still a shelf gnome and you could get it under $40.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I had the 12 when it was still a shelf gnome and you could get it under $40.
          It took a LONG time for people to accept Japanese whiskey, because 'Murica! (actually this is rather true; they didn't trust regular whiskey from Japan).
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I don’t think that’s true at all. It was very highly regarded at the time. And it has been for a very long time. It wasn’t until the Asian demand for it took off that it’s become a unicorn over here in the states.
            Code:

Comment

I don’t think that’s true at all. It was very highly regarded at the time. And it has been for a very long time. It wasn’t until the Asian demand for it took off that it’s become a unicorn over here in the states.
              It was highly regarded, but it didn't sell in the States very well. Over the past couple years, having talked to a few liquor store owners, and they had trouble selling it until it finally broke through to the common crowd (so to speak).

Comment

Had a Summit Saga tonight. In itself, pretty unremarkable, but since I had it along with a juicy burger from Kings, I figured it was worth a mention.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Had a Summit Saga tonight. In itself, pretty unremarkable, but since I had it along with a juicy burger from Kings, I figured it was worth a mention.
                  I hate you
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I need to get back to Kings. Maybe after Houghton sometime, make a day trip to Forager, and then hit Ansari's on the way back.

Comment

I hate you
                      Me too, probably (never been to Kings)...
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Me too, probably (never been to Kings)...
                        House Of Coates? Awesome. Kings? Don't even try to make an argument. Serious. Anything in the TC? Pffffffffft.

Comment

I just want booze and burgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            ...the only thing they reallly, really have going for them is their flawlessness. And I don’t necessarily mean that in a good way. Because they lose a lot of character being perfect.
                            My argument against Wynton Marsalis as a jazz trumpeter, almost verbatim.

Mich Golden Light for me on the macro discussion. Love it. It's terrible, but I love it. I doubt drink much of it these days. My go-to is Nordeast. Nothing special whatsoever. But there's nothing off-putting to me. Of course I think a ton of beers are far better, and drink them when I can, but Nordeast will always be my go-to in a pinch.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...18-story.html#

The guys doing the tasting have their hands in some of the best beer coming out of Chicago right now, so it is interesting when you look at the results...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...18-story.html#

The guys doing the tasting have their hands in some of the best beer coming out of Chicago right now, so it is interesting when you look at the results...
                                Light lagers suck, no matter who brews them.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X