No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember seeing tidbits about the non-alcohol bars in NYC and one here in Chicago pop up before the pandemic. It was definitely spun as a hipster thing for those venues (probably LGBTQ friendly, but not totally geared to them). If the owners can make a go of the place, good on them!

I also wonder how much being booze free saves on the back end of the books... I'm sure liquor licenses and insurance are a good chunk of change...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      I remember seeing tidbits about the non-alcohol bars in NYC and one here in Chicago pop up before the pandemic. It was definitely spun as a hipster thing for those venues (probably LGBTQ friendly, but not totally geared to them). If the owners can make a go of the place, good on them!

I also wonder how much being booze free saves on the back end of the books... I'm sure liquor licenses and insurance are a good chunk of change...
      Not much. If the cost of a license breaks your bank, you were never going to survive. (Except for PA, which is the dumbest possible law)
      https://ballotpedia.org/Liquor_licen...by_state,_2018

Insurance, OTOH, I have no idea.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I remember seeing tidbits about the non-alcohol bars in NYC and one here in Chicago pop up before the pandemic. It was definitely spun as a hipster thing for those venues (probably LGBTQ friendly, but not totally geared to them). If the owners can make a go of the place, good on them!

My BIL’s bar in Maplewood was charged almost $29k to renew his liquor license this year. I can’t imagine why the fee is for the big cities.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

My BIL’s bar in Maplewood was charged almost $29k to renew his liquor license this year. I can’t imagine why the fee is for the big cities.
          That doesn't make sense. St Paul is around 5k for a 180+ seat restaurant
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

That doesn't make sense. St Paul is around 5k for a 180+ seat restaurant
            I might be confusing the liquor license fee with another. He’s been having issues with the city regarding a host of things surrounding his ability to add outdoor seating in response to COVID. That might’ve been the $29k.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• https://***********/danshuftan/statu...123629059?s=21

lotta old names on that list
              Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Well the dudes that are attached to those names are quickly dying off.... The 21-24 crowd will drink whatever is on sale for $12.99 for a 30-pack. Companies are realizing that the college kids will "outgrow" the party swill and won't form a life long love with a particular brand.

Comment

• Olde English HG 8000?! What am I supposed to play Edward Fortyhands with now? Colt?!!
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Olde English HG 8000?! What am I supposed to play Edward Fortyhands with now? Colt?!!
                    Bacardi 151.

Go big or go home.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well the dudes that are attached to those names are quickly dying off.... The 21-24 crowd will drink whatever is on sale for $12.99 for a 30-pack. Companies are realizing that the college kids will "outgrow" the party swill and won't form a life long love with a particular brand.
                      Not exactly sure of that. Currently in retail and I still count 60-70 customers walking out with 30s of Busch Light; these people are in their mid 40s or later.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

Not exactly sure of that. Currently in retail and I still count 60-70 customers walking out with 30s of Busch Light; these people are in their mid 40s or later.
                        Most younger drinkers get exposed to the variety of options that are available however. Those of us currently in our late 30s are really the 1st "drinking generation" to be exposed to the idea of craft/local brewing. Anyone in their 40s or older knew basically Bud/Coors/Miller and that is it. It's a game changer when you are looking to establish a life long brand relationship.

Also you have to think of economics as well. People buying a 30-pack at Meijer probably have things to say about single cans of beer in the $2-5 range.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Olde English HG 8000?! What am I supposed to play Edward Fortyhands with now? Colt?!!
                          Mickey's will still be around...it's Mickey's Ice that is going away.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Straffe Hendrik Quad. ****in A.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• For the gin drinkers out there, highly, highly recommend Lussa. A little harder to find than Vikre (also excellent, try the cedar) but in that same tier. Really good neat.
                              Code:

Comment

• On our trip up to Duluth last weekend, we made our usual stop at vikre and decided to grab one of their cocktail kits.

Cider and Cedar

apple cider, a bag of spices they put together, a 375 of their cedar gin, and a lemon. Instructions to simmer the spices in the cider for 20 minutes. 1.5 oz of gin, 4 oz of the spiced cider, and a squeeze of lemon. Holy cow this is INCREDIBLE. I'll need to pull that spice bag apart and inventory the contents.

Also, their cedar gin is worth seeking out. Top three gins I've ever had.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X