Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 NASCAR Season: You might be a redneck

Originally posted by The Incredible Gulk View Post
    He would be doing the sport a favor. Kesolowski sucks, and doesn't deserve a Cup ride. If he wants respect from the other drivers out there he needs to earn it.
    You're the kind of fan that has ruined NASCAR. Really, even if you are joking about killing a driver, it's still sick. Ugh. Kesolowski is a young jerk but he doesn't deserve that.

Originally posted by The Incredible Gulk View Post
    As a fan, I have witnessed spectators getting killed during a race, so yeah that is exactly what I would like to see happen.
    I would have thought people were smart enough to know I was being facetious, but I guess you aren't. Next time I will add the just for you.
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Reports are that NASCAR will announce today no suspension for Edwards.

Translation: Almost killing a guy - and admitting it - is worth less than the ratings they'll get next week.

Edit: Or as a Tweeter put it: "Apparently, it means if you send a car into the fans, you're ok. If you use an illegal wheel nut, you lose $250k & 100pts."
      Last edited by Priceless; 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Reports are that NASCAR will announce today no suspension for Edwards.

Translation: Almost killing a guy - and admitting it - is worth less than the ratings they'll get next week.

Edit: Or as a Tweeter put it: "Apparently, it means if you send a car into the fans, you're ok. If you use an illegal wheel nut, you lose $250k & 100pts."
        I am gonna catch some s*** for this, but hear me out...

NASCAR was built on rivalry... You have it going all the way back into the 50's... Unfortunately, NASCAR has not had a true rivalry since Kurt Busch/Jimmy Spencer. And by true rivalry, I mean one where the guys simply don't like each other, not one where the media hypes it, yet the two guys go and grab lunch together after Friday practice is over...

NASCAR is slowly learning that they effed up majorly over the past 7-8 years, and are slowly trying to return to their core values (insert Redneck joke here)... In that world, you have to have some volitility, IMO... You see it week in and week out at the short tracks across the country... Rivalry is a racing staple, not just a NASCAR staple... Allowing the drivers to police themselves is key to bringing this back...

It seems kinda hypocritical that everyone bashes NASCAR for micromanaging things, yet when they stop doing so, everyone is up in arms about it... Was it a bonehead move by Carl? Certainly... Obviously he had no idea that the car would become airborne (and honestly, when was the last time anyone saw a car get air outside Dega or Daytona?)... That was just a freak occurance... I think NASCAR is going down the right path by allowing Brad K. to simply take notes, and wait for Bristol in a few weeks... Allow the drivers to police themselves...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

NASCAR was built on rivalry... You have it going all the way back into the 50's... Unfortunately, NASCAR has not had a true rivalry since Kurt Busch/Jimmy Spencer. And by true rivalry, I mean one where the guys simply don't like each other, not one where the media hypes it, yet the two guys go and grab lunch together after Friday practice is over...

NASCAR is slowly learning that they effed up majorly over the past 7-8 years, and are slowly trying to return to their core values (insert Redneck joke here)... In that world, you have to have some volitility, IMO... You see it week in and week out at the short tracks across the country... Rivalry is a racing staple, not just a NASCAR staple... Allowing the drivers to police themselves is key to bringing this back...

It seems kinda hypocritical that everyone bashes NASCAR for micromanaging things, yet when they stop doing so, everyone is up in arms about it... Was it a bonehead move by Carl? Certainly... Obviously he had no idea that the car would become airborne (and honestly, when was the last time anyone saw a car get air outside Dega or Daytona?)... That was just a freak occurance... I think NASCAR is going down the right path by allowing Brad K. to simply take notes, and wait for Bristol in a few weeks... Allow the drivers to police themselves...
          Rivalry is fine, but booting someone at 190 miles per hour is unnecessarily dangerous. Wait for a slower track, or slower place at Atlanta and do it there.

Comment

Once again, NASCAR is taking sides and playing favorites. I can think of plenty of other times where this exact same thing happened and the offending driver didnt get parked.
            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
            Originally posted by MadCityRich
            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

I agree with Juve, Edwards defiantly owed Kesolowski some pay back, but he has to be smarter about it. Atlanta and 150 laps down, taking out a top 10 ride with three laps to go is not the right time or place. Edwards hiding behind his Facebook explanation that if he did it at Bristol, it would collect other drivers is a joke. Bristol isn't really known for the "Big One". All he had on his mind was revenge, and the move was a little Days of Thunderish. If Edwards had waited until Bristol, I think 99% of us would has said, "Yep he owed him that, nice job, move on.", now instead we're ready to crucify him.

The other thing the stupidity did was take away an exciting "Can Montoya catch Busch?" and gave us a two G-W-C finish, which in the end was boring.
              Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                Rivalry is fine, but booting someone at 190 miles per hour is unnecessarily dangerous. Wait for a slower track, or slower place at Atlanta and do it there.
                i would prefer they fight outside the garage. sock each other in the face a couple times.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                  You're the kind of fan that has ruined NASCAR. Really, even if you are joking about killing a driver, it's still sick. Ugh. Kesolowski is a young jerk but he doesn't deserve that.

I would have thought people were smart enough to know I was being facetious, but I guess you aren't. Next time I will add the just for you.
                  Yes he does.

Some people need to learn how to take a joke. Seeing a driver get killed is probably the last thing I would want to happen. I hated Dale Earnhardt when he was out on the track (cool guy otherwise), and I hate to admit it but I cried when he passed away.

Really, I couldn't care less about what you think, but calling me the kind of fan that has ruined NASCAR is completely off-base. I have been a race fan since I was a little kid, and its little punks like Kesolowski that are ruining the sport of NASCAR. Sadly, NASCAR drivers aren't necessarily the best drivers out there, just the ones who's mommy and daddy paid for all their race cars when they were kids. Race drivers aren't born anymore they are bred.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  guklke did you fick that dude at te vbar tongiht5, he awas all iover youi. and way over your haead.
                  Whats the difference between the Tech Hockey Team and the Huskies Pep Band?

WE'RE NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS!

Comment

I didn't say that what Carl did was right... I just applauded NASCAR for not fining him or taking any additional action... They said that they are going to allow the drivers to police themselves and are sticking to their statement...

Comment

• Re: 2010 NASCAR Season: You might be a redneck

I didn't say that what Carl did was right... I just applauded NASCAR for not fining him or taking any additional action... They said that they are going to allow the drivers to police themselves and are sticking to their statement...
                      The problem I have with self policing is who decides when enough is enough?Does Kesolowski now feel like he has to pay Edwards back for blowing up a top 10 finish? Does Edwards think he's even with Kesolowski now, or in Edwards eyes does Kesolowski deserve more?

And in a broader sense, will driver A ever really know why driver B hit him? When dealing with policing, intent is everything. Driver B could have made an honest mistake and driver A thinks it was intentional. Now you've got an innocent driver B who simply made a mistake getting hammered by driver A.

And, all this bs is going to cost the teams more money to fix the cars up. That flies right in the face of cost containment.

And there is the rick of physical injury involved, to the drivers, crews and fans. Surely NASCAR's risk management people don't like this idea. They are 1 hot away from a lawsuit.

I was a big NASCAR fan until the common template came out and they took away any ability to gain speed through aerodynamic innovation. The COT was a horrendous idea. This is just another reason not to watch.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        The problem I have with self policing is who decides when enough is enough?Does Kesolowski now feel like he has to pay Edwards back for blowing up a top 10 finish? Does Edwards think he's even with Kesolowski now, or in Edwards eyes does Kesolowski deserve more?

And in a broader sense, will driver A ever really know why driver B hit him? When dealing with policing, intent is everything. Driver B could have made an honest mistake and driver A thinks it was intentional. Now you've got an innocent driver B who simply made a mistake getting hammered by driver A.

And, all this bs is going to cost the teams more money to fix the cars up. That flies right in the face of cost containment.

And there is the rick of physical injury involved, to the drivers, crews and fans. Surely NASCAR's risk management people don't like this idea. They are 1 hot away from a lawsuit.

I was a big NASCAR fan until the common template came out and they took away any ability to gain speed through aerodynamic innovation. The COT was a horrendous idea. This is just another reason not to watch.
                        That's racing though... It's like in baseball when a pitcher lets one go high and inside... Was the pitch put there or did it just get away from him? Only the ones involved truly know, and that's what makes it fun...

Also, cost containment at this level is an absolute joke... If a team has a budget of X dollars, they will just go and spend it elsewhere...

Comment

This is old but classic.

******* width="480" height="430">****** name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />****** name="movie" value="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonio n.com%2Fcontent%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2FNASCAR_0.jpg&videoid=64433&title=NASCAR%20Coach%20Reveals%20Winning%20Strateg y%3A%20'Drive%20Fast'" />****** name="wmode" value="transparent" />****** src="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="430"flashvars="image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Fcontent%2Ffi les%2Fimages%2FNASCAR_0.jpg&videoid=64433&title=NASCAR%20Coach%20Reveals%20Winning%20Strateg y%3A%20'Drive%20Fast'">
                          NASCAR Coach Reveals Winning Strategy: 'Drive Fast'
                          WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

That's racing though... It's like in baseball when a pitcher lets one go high and inside... Was the pitch put there or did it just get away from him? Only the ones involved truly know, and that's what makes it fun...

Also, cost containment at this level is an absolute joke... If a team has a budget of X dollars, they will just go and spend it elsewhere...
                            And the teams would rather spend that money on making the cars go faster than on repairs or building a new one because it was totaled.

The days of unlimited budgets are gone. I know of at least one major team that has had to cut budgets in the last couple of years. Plus these teams are businesses, they want to make a profit. Hard to make a profit when your repair budget just ballooned out of control due to a feud between your driver and someone else.
                            Orginally Posted by Sloe Gin - Legal is the Queen of the board.

Race Diva and "Ruler of the South"

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1
                            I must say that I was impressed by the amount of alcohol she coud handle.

Originally posted by Markt
                            That almost lifts the sadness of realizing just how far out of my league Legal is. Almost.

Comment

The anonymous driver reporting for ESPN wrote this

A better spot to send a message is usually coming off one of the corners and onto the straightaway; that's always a good place to give a guy the bump because everyone is just getting back up to speed and there's little or no banking. At most, a guy likely goes into a flat spin. The backstretch is also an ideal place to send a message because there are fewer eyewitnesses in the stands and you're away from pit row. You don't want to put those guys in danger.

Whichever spot you choose, you don't want the other guy to hit anything. We've all spent long nights repairing wrecked racecars, and no one wants to be the guy who caused someone's crew to end up doing the same. Your goal is to penalize the guy behind the wheel, not the poor guys who do all the work.
                              Makes sense, conflicts are between drivers not teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

As long as you race cleanly most of the time and dont think you can knock someone out of you way to win, most drivers would never feel the need to, "pay you back".
                                Drivers understand that at the end of the race, anything goes. However, when its the middle of the race and you practically knock someone's rear bumper off going down the straightaway; thats whats going to cause problems because it shows a lack of respect for the other drivers.
                                A lot of these younger drivers like Keselowski have no respect for their fellow drivers and think they can put anyone they want in the wall and its guys like that who are going to cause problems. They forget the fact that no matter how good you are, you have to pay your dues and prove that you belong.
                                Look at one the most respected drivers: Mark Martin. He has won plenty of races and hasnt needed to put people in the wall to do it. He wins on skill and intellect, not by using cheap shots such as bump drafting people in the turns, getting people aero loose and tapping their left rear quarter panel.
                                A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                                Originally posted by MadCityRich
                                He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                                "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                X