X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burd
    replied
    Re: POTUS 45.23 - Wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross

My likely son-in-law grew up in Montgomery and moved to Atlanta in his early 20s, where he met my daughter. He and his family are blue collar all the way, and although he is an outspoken advocate of LGBT rights and is clearly not racist, he is not as liberal as D. He sometimes expresses frustration/regret that northerners do not understand much of what is good about the South, given their assumptions. If you want to select one racist shythole, Montgomery has to be high on the leaderboard. I haven't discussed Moore with him but am looking forward to that discussion. He's too young to have personal memories of the guy's DA past, but he will know the context and understand the cultural dynamics.

They chose to live in Vancouver, so I guess that says something about the culture they were looking for.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    It's politics.
    It's the South.
    It's the guy in power.
    It seems all too common.
    No matter the side of the aisle.

We've seen the pattern before with a Southern governor who walked away unscathed.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...crimes/545729/

I'm surprised "The Atlantic" sees (their words) a "reckoning" for him at this point.

Roy Moore's political career deserves to become Ol' Roy; however, we've seen the pattern of escape happen for politicians in the South.
    I suspect it's hard for many of us in the northern states, and especially outside a place like NYC, to understand what southern political races are like. I have to believe that allegations of corruption, sleazy personal behavior and the like is the norm rather than an exception. Allegations that would, in a place like Des Moines, IA, cause the candidate to immediately withdraw and be replaced, are instead contested with the "it wasn't me" defense down south.

I suspect the reason candidates like Moore persist is, a) they have personally prevailed, or seen other candidates prevail, despite such allegations, b) allegation fatigue caused by all contests containing some sort of corruption or sleaziness charge, and c) knowing that you will receive the support of your base even if they believe your accusers, simply because they still like you or like you more than the other candidate.

It's certainly a unique area of the country, and always has been.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Out him under oath, please.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

It seems all too common.
    This may be the heart of it. Start casting those stones and there won't be a house left standing. Mix in the creepy Old Testament misogyny and general sexual perversity of the South, and the sexual predator register may be the phone book.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I'm surprised "The Atlantic" sees (their words) a "reckoning" for him at this point.
    If you're surprised maybe you should read more of The Atlantic, New Republic, Slate, etc.

One of things about the smarties -- they constantly rake themselves over the coals of analysis. The left and the right treat this very differently, because on the right the great virtue is "strength" while on the left it is "truth." Both terms deserve their bunny ears.

The soul of the right is marketing -- make up your mind then push, bluster, and bluff it out. The soul of the left is academia -- always double back, always doubt, never take anything as given. We don't just analyze ourselves, we over-over-over-over-analyze ourselves.

Many of the silly misconceptions the right holds about the left stem from their inability to see this basic difference in orientation. It makes you guys see phantoms and conspiracies everywhere. It also, happily, makes you miss some of our weaknesses. It's a combination of both over- and under-estimating us.

No doubt we have the same blindness the other way.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-14-2017, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X