Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
    Are you kidding, you know how many people will tune in to watch after they hear about this?

Don't forget, we're a sick, sick society.
    Sadly i feel you're exactly right, which is probably part of the reason why the IOC didn't care about the danger of the course.

As far as America...it's the "That's awful...I'm glad that's not me" mentality that drives people to watch this kind of horrific story in record numbers.

NBC just got their golden egg. Instant ratings boost for tonight's opening ceremony.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Are you kidding, you know how many people will tune in to watch after they hear about this?

That's true, just look at NASCAR. Think they'd get ratings if they never had crashes?

Comment

I was talking more about legal liability for the IOC, not the people who will inevitably tune in to rubber neck.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
          I was talking more about legal liability for the IOC, not the people who will inevitably tune in to rubber neck.
          If this was an athlete from the US the nation would be up in arms and we'd be calling for heads. I agree with you. This can't go on. The lawsuits are going to fly.
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: oops
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

God knows you need one with the way you've been jumping on everyone's d!ck today.

Did you forget to take your tampon out?
            How is that different than any other day?
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Point taken. But still, the fact that the IOC is trying to cover their arses over the media mess this should become rather than thinking ahead of time and designing a safer course is B.S.

Why is it copyright infringement if people are posting videos from news sources? The IOC shouldn't be able to claim copyright to that.
              The IOC doesn't design the venues.

And the IOC gives media sites the license to broadcast their events. They don't give joe blow youtube poster the right to, and the media can't, either.

Comment

Anybody that goes down a ice chute in spandex at 90 mph is risking death. That's the very attraction of the sport. That's why people watch. All tracks are inherently unsafe. Just as life is sometimes unsafe. People die every day in the bathtub - do we cancel baths? Do we stop driving our cars? Come on now, That's what separates lugers from the rest of the population - it's their tolerance for severe danger.

Nodar died doing what he loved, and the competition should go on. The lugers have toiled in obscurity for four years, and have worked very hard for their moment of triumph. It should be up to them if they want to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  Anybody that goes down a ice chute in spandex at 90 mph is risking death. That's the very attraction of the sport. That's why people watch. All tracks are inherently unsafe. Just as life is sometimes unsafe. People die every day in the bathtub - do we cancel baths? Do we stop driving our cars? Come on now, That's what separates lugers from the rest of the population - it's their tolerance for severe danger.

Nodar died doing what he loved, and the competition should go on. The lugers have toiled in obscurity for four years, and have worked very hard for their moment of triumph. It should be up to them if they want to compete.
                  With all due respect, do you honestly believe that a luge track should have steel posts in place where a lugers body could end up? Seems like insanity to me.........but I digress.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    Anybody that goes down a ice chute in spandex at 90 mph is risking death. That's the very attraction of the sport. That's why people watch. All tracks are inherently unsafe. Just as life is sometimes unsafe. People die every day the bathtub - do we cancel baths? Come on now, That's what separates lugers from the rest of the population - it's their tolerance for severe danger.

Call me crazy but I don't care to die at 21 even if I'm in the middle of the thing I love the most.

There's a difference between inherenty unsafe and the design of this track. They were reckless in trying to create some sort of super-luge track that pushed the envelope way too far. Look at the portion he died on. There are steel beems completely exposed right after a turn. This is the definition of negligent. There is a corner on the bobsled track that the athletes are calling "50:50 corner" because it's so dangerous that you have about a 50:50 shot at crashing.

They pushed the envelope and someone died as a direct result of their incompetence.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      The IOC doesn't design the venues.

And the IOC gives media sites the license to broadcast their events. They don't give joe blow youtube poster the right to, and the media can't, either.
                      They may not design the venues but I'm pretty sure they have to give the okay on the venue meeting their standards etc yada yada. They had to have known the inherent danger of this course beforehand and still gave the okay.

Yes the IOC gives the media sites the license to broadcast their events and some of those clips that were posted were news stories. If a youtube poster posts a video of a news story isn't that video now the property of the media source and not the IOC?

Puckswami,

I agree that you can obviously have accidents in any situation. But in this case they knew they were creating the world's fastest course and testing these athletes abilities and limits even more than in the past.

When does it go too far?

It's pretty obvious the human body has limits and obviously there are physics involved in a human being sliding down an ice sheet into a turn that might be too tight or too much banking for the speed the athlete will be reaching and almost certainly result in a crash, which is the way some of the athletes have described it and jugding by the amount of crashes on the course, there is legitimacy to that claim.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Call me crazy but I don't care to die at 21 even if I'm in the middle of the thing I love the most.

There's a difference between inherenty unsafe and the design of this track. They were reckless in trying to create some sort of super-luge track that pushed the envelope way too far. Look at the portion he died on. There are steel beems completely exposed right after a turn. This is the definition of negligent. There is a corner on the bobsled track that the athletes are calling "50:50 corner" because it's so dangerous that you have about a 50:50 shot at crashing.

They pushed the envelope and someone died as a direct result of their incompetence.
                        Exactly.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Signs were all over the place that this was a real probability, including a quote from a female last night that, "we're talking about our lives" and, "they're using us as guinea pigs" or something like that. This goes way beyond the sport being dangerous, this is pure and utter negligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Signs were all over the place that this was a real probability, including a quote from a female last night that, "we're talking about our lives" and, "they're using us as guinea pigs" or something like that. This goes way beyond the sport being dangerous, this is pure and utter negligence.
                            I watched him crash live. It was horrific. If they do not cancel the luge I will not watch.
                            Code:

Comment

It's up to the athlete to decide whether or not to participate. 10 of the 16 winter Olympic sports require helmets because of severe danger. Everyone who participates knows the dangerous and severe risks involved in sports invloving high speed, slick surfaces, sharp edges, flying objects or other inherent risks. Safety? There is no such thing as a safe luge track. If it were about safety, they'd all be curling. If you fly off the ice track at 40, 60, or 90 mph, you can clearly die from that. What is an acceptable level of risk in a daredevil sport? The human body was never really designed to hurtle down a chute of ice at 90 mph. Lugers challenge and defy physics every day - they love the adrenalin rush and the chance to "conquer" difficult courses. That's why they do it, and that's why we watch it.

Track designers push the envelope just as athletes do. That's how you go faster, higher, stronger. It's the path of human progress, and some people DO die as collateral damage.

We can argue about placement of unpadded poles and barriers and other hazards, but the fact remains that these sports are designed to be seriously dangerous from day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I watched him crash live. It was horrific. If they do not cancel the luge I will not watch.
                                They could move it to the Calgary run--some of us talked about that as a possibility.

Don't they usually do test competitions or World Cup runs on these tracks before the Olympics to be certain of their safety?
                                Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                                My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X