Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I watch about 5 minutes of the Kentucky Derby coverage each year. 3 minutes leading up to the race and 2 minutes to watch the race itself. I don't need to see what kind of hat Jessica Simpson is wearing.
    The same, and I'm an avid horse racing fan. The hubbub surrounding the Derby is stupid.

I can see their point about being able to cut away, I guess. It's just irritating.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

I watch about 5 minutes of the Kentucky Derby coverage each year. 3 minutes leading up to the race and 2 minutes to watch the race itself. I don't need to see what kind of hat Jessica Simpson is wearing.
      Yes, that's what YOU watch, but you're (allegedly) not a woman. WOMEN watch the Derby because of what I said earlier. Men watch it because it's an excuse to drink lots of whiskey in the afternoon.
      Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Would the Olympics get more female viewers if NBC didn't fark up the coverage so much? My guess is that if they presented the Olympics like every other sporting event, namely as a sporting event, the viewership numbers would return to normal.
      What do you mean by "return to normal"? You mean with more male viewers than female? Because that pretty clearly is not what NBC is going for in this situation. And from that standpoint, their coverage isn't messed up, it's what's drawing people who don't normally watch sports to watch sports.
      Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
      The same, and I'm an avid horse racing fan. The hubbub surrounding the Derby is stupid.
      Right, but again, the reason it draws female viewers so well is because of the hubbub, not because of the horse racing.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        Yes, that's what YOU watch, but you're (allegedly) not a woman. WOMEN watch the Derby because of what I said earlier. Men watch it because it's an excuse to drink lots of whiskey in the afternoon.

Right, but again, the reason it draws female viewers so well is because of the hubbub, not because of the horse racing.
        We need an excuse to drink lots of whiskey in the afternoon? Must be an eastern thing.

Apparently not all female viewers...
        at least I think BUT09 is female, if not, my bad
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Yes, that's what YOU watch, but you're (allegedly) not a woman. WOMEN watch the Derby because of what I said earlier. Men watch it because it's an excuse to drink lots of whiskey in the afternoon.What do you mean by "return to normal"? You mean with more male viewers than female? Because that pretty clearly is not what NBC is going for in this situation. And from that standpoint, their coverage isn't messed up, it's what's drawing people who don't normally watch sports to watch sports.Right, but again, the reason it draws female viewers so well is because of the hubbub, not because of the horse racing.
          It's no surprise that the 3 sporting events which draw more women than men are all on NBC. The Derby's a freaking fashion show, and NBC's primetime coverage is one giant soap opera with some tumbling (gymnastics) and twirling (figure skating) mixed in.

The fact that NBC is losing $200 million on this year's games says that maybe the soap opera element isn't worth it; it may increase female viewership, but at what cost of male viewers who make up most of the sports world's viewers?

CBS used to do tie-ins with the Olympics when they had em (I remember Letterman sending his Mom to a few games, for instance), but it seemed to be more about the games than the background stories back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            One of the great things about Olympic coverage evolution is that there are multiple channels of coverage now, and that at least for hockey fans, we don't need to sit through hours of simpering figure skaters on NBC's prime time coverage with so many live hockey games on channels such as MSNBC and CNBC (etc.). I plan on gorging myself on hockey over the next two weeks.
            Still doesn't excuse NBC forbidding people access to live events for things they won't even show elsewhere, or for things they're forcing you to watch on tape delay during prime time. The cameras are there anyway as part of the media pool coverage available to all rights holders, so it's not like it would cost NBC more than bandwidth.

Our local NBC affiliate shows Universal Sports on its secondary digital channel, I've been watching lots of cross country skiing, bobsled, luge, etc. over the last few weeks on my lunch break. Odds anymore than a few clips of the winners of those see the light of day on NBC? I'd say 20-1.
            Last edited by unofan; 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              You look at her hat? She has other assets...

MSNBC is not available in HD on DirecTV. I find it hard to believe Dish Network has it in HD.

I wonder if it will be available in HD on the on-demand channel.
              For some reason, I get all of the major "news" networks in HD. It really doesn't make sense.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So today I heard the ice sheet in Vancouver won't be olympic size. I'm assuming that all the ice sheets they use will not be the correct size. I think that sucks. I love the large ice sheet. I think if Vancouver couldn't/didn't want to use the right sized ice sheets, then they should not have been awarded the games.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'd settle for 3 or 4 "at bats" with most of those figure skaters.
                  I love South Korea....

*****http://www.asiaenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kim-yu-na-samsung.jpg******

*****http://www.risingsunofnihon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Kim-Yu-Na-204x300.jpg******
                  Fighting the good fight

Comment

omg. I think i watched someone die on the live feed from the luge track today... The guy came out of the track at 100 mph and plowed right into a steel beam.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      omg. I think i watched someone die on the live feed from the luge track today... The guy came out of the track at 100 mph and plowed right into a steel beam.

Holy crap.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4909034

That's the story from ESPN. Doesn't sound too promising right now.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

omg... the toronto sun is reporting he's dead...
                          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There is no way they hold the event this year after that.
                            Code:

Comment

I love Rickj Reilly... Let's be nice to Canuckistan
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

There is no way they hold the event this year after that.
                                I watched the video and read some of the articles and with the speed of that track and the area and the way it was designed where that accident occurred someone was out to lunch when they made that track.

Apparently there have been a number of wipe outs on that track already before this happened.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X