Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

If the USA makes it to the Gold Medal game, that will be on NBC.
    Maybe.

the Westminister's dog show might have that same time slot too
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

NBC's expecting to lose $200 million on the Games. Hopefully they follow the money right offstage and someone competent can start showing them.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Who watches figure skating?

70% of women consider themselves figure skating fans
        54% of the total population 12+ is interested in figure skating
        68% are women age 25-54
        65% 1+ years in college
        63% are in $50M+ income households
        Figure skating fans are educated and affluent
        Figure skating is the highest-ranked sport among the U.S. population 12+ in fan base
        Women sports fans prefer to watch figure skating over college basketball, college football, tennis and the NHL
        Figure skating is the most popular spectator sport among American women and their teenage daughters

Also, don't be fooled by the "NBC loses $200 million" stuff. They may lose $200 million in direct P & L advertising revenue compared to the price they paid for the game and production costs they incur, but NBC will make more money on the backside through the cross-promotion and migration of viewer to post-Olympic prime time programming, as well as gains in brand prestige, locking out competitors, and the huge money-making backstage that the Olympics provides to sponsors and prospective sponsors for future deals. NBC likes to talk about losses so it brings the bid price down for future games, but make no mistake - if networks didn't find enormous "below-the-line" value in bidding on the games, they just wouldn't do it. NBC is smart.

Comment

That's all nice, Swami, but figure skating gets exactly as much money from NBC for showing their events as the NHL does. Nothing. Their response to a judge scandal was to make all the judge's scores anonymous. The US championships in late January had a total of "5.3 million viewers". Last year's game 7 between Pittsburgh and Detroit got 7.51 million.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tv-viewership/

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articl....aspx?id=34129

This isn't 1994 Lillehammer with Tonya clubbing Nancy anymore.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            That's all nice, Swami, but figure skating gets exactly as much money from NBC for showing their events as the NHL does. Nothing. Their response to a judge scandal was to make all the judge's scores anonymous. The US championships in late January had a total of "5.3 million viewers". Last year's game 7 between Pittsburgh and Detroit got 7.51 million.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tv-viewership/

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articl....aspx?id=34129

This isn't 1994 Lillehammer with Tonya clubbing Nancy anymore.
            It's not about fees. Figure skating totally dominates Olympic ratings every Winter Games vs every othre Olympic Winter Sport, Tonya or Not. And that's where the women viewers are. And that's why hockey gets shunted to MSNBC or CNBC, etc. Stanely Cup games and US Championships don't matter to Olympic Ratings. Put the Rings on it, and people watch.

Comment

Just think how great of ratings figure skating would get if they skanked it up a little bit! Low cut tops, a little more bulging out, some jiggling...then they could capture the male audience too!
              NBC is smart.
              I wouldn't go that far.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Just think how great of ratings figure skating would get if they skanked it up a little bit! Low cut tops, a little more bulging out, some jiggling...then they could capture the male audience too!
                and if more than half of the competitors were of age
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Here's a thought... maybe they can sell more adverts for an ice skating event than for an ice hockey event. I have to figure if you go to commerical after every 1-2 routines then you may be able to squeeze in more ads than you do for ice hockey. Do we even know if they will have TV time outs for the ice hockey competition?
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    and if more than half of the competitors were of age
                    a .500 average is good enough to get you in the MLB Hall of Fame.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The doping issues have already begun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4905798
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        a .500 average is good enough to get you in the MLB Hall of Fame.
                        ...assuming you get enough times at bat...

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          ...assuming you get enough times at bat...
                          I'd settle for 3 or 4 "at bats" with most of those figure skaters.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            The doping issues have already begun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4905798
                            **** curlers.

Comment

NBC is smart.
                              Yeah, which is why they gutted Sci-Fi...err.."SyFy", consistently screw up their late night programming, and are dead last in prime time ratings among the 4 networks.

NBC is anything but smart.

Comment

Who watches figure skating?

70% of women consider themselves figure skating fans
                                54% of the total population 12+ is interested in figure skating
                                68% are women age 25-54
                                65% 1+ years in college
                                63% are in $50M+ income households
                                Figure skating fans are educated and affluent
                                Figure skating is the highest-ranked sport among the U.S. population 12+ in fan base
                                Women sports fans prefer to watch figure skating over college basketball, college football, tennis and the NHL
                                Figure skating is the most popular spectator sport among American women and their teenage daughters.
                                Bingo. I tell my wife the Winter Olympics start tomorrow and the first thing she says: "When does the Figure Skating start?"
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X