Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Can

    Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Hard to know if these projects would have ever come to fruition without the Games as incentive...
    Which is exactly the same as saying, "hard to know if the cities would have gone into massive debt without the Games tempting them to do so."
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Can

      Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Which is exactly the same as saying, "hard to know if the cities would have gone into massive debt without the Games tempting them to do so."
      How much is Sydney in debt from the 2000 Games? Atlanta? Nagano? Lake Placid? How much is Montreal in debt from the '76 Games? Athens doesn't really count because the city was a mess when I was there in '89 and its still a mess now

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Can

        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        How much is Sydney in debt from the 2000 Games? Atlanta? Nagano? Lake Placid? How much is Montreal in debt from the '76 Games? Athens doesn't really count because the city was a mess when I was there in '89 and its still a mess now
        Here's a decent rundown on some of those legacies:

        http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...wn-901629.html

        On balance, Atlanta and LA are the most 'debt free' because they are the most privately funded games, with less public money spent on major infrastructure projects and more retrofits of existing facilities vs building new facilities.

        Barcelona probably spent more in relative terms, but used the Olympics to effectively remake their city. Similar story with Seoul. These cities are on the global business map now in large part because the Olympics were used as a national coming-out parties.

        Montreal was a financial disaster primarily due to an ambitious main stadium project that spiraled out of control in large part due to labor strikes and construction/design delay issues, but in 1976, the modern funding model that LA pioneered in 1984 with vast Olympic sponsorships didn't exist. They only recently paid off the debt.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Can

          Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Here's a decent rundown on some of those legacies:

          http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...wn-901629.html

          On balance, Atlanta and LA are the most 'debt free' because they are the most privately funded games, with less public money spent on major infrastructure projects and more retrofits of existing facilities vs building new facilities.

          Barcelona probably spent more in relative terms, but used the Olympics to effectively remake their city. Similar story with Seoul. These cities are on the global business map now in large part because the Olympics were used as a national coming-out parties.

          Montreal was a financial disaster primarily due to an ambitious main stadium project that spiraled out of control in large part due to labor strikes and construction/design delay issues, but in 1976, the modern funding model that LA pioneered in 1984 with vast Olympic sponsorships didn't exist. They only recently paid off the debt.
          So if the leaders have vision and handle things accordingly, the Games can be a financial boon to a region...if there is a lack of good leadership the Games will fiscally destroy a region.

          Whodathunkit.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

            I just finalized the last bit of my trip last night. I will be in Vancouver from 2/20 - 2/23 to see Men's Ice Hockey (Fin - Swe), women's ice hockey (semifinal game) and women's curling.

            Anyone else going to be out at the games?
            My Four Favorite teams:
            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

            If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

            I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

              Originally posted by MattS View Post
              I just finalized the last bit of my trip last night. I will be in Vancouver from 2/20 - 2/23 to see Men's Ice Hockey (Fin - Swe), women's ice hockey (semifinal game) and women's curling.

              Anyone else going to be out at the games?
              I will be there, as I go to every Olympics. Dates are still a bit unlear at this point, as they are dependent on ticket allocations from my connections.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                Paul Martin has withdrawn from the USA Hockey team. He is not healthy enough to play. No replacement has been named as of yet.

                http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_05&id=279130
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


                Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                  Since CTV outbid CBC for the Canadian Olympic TV contract, you won't be able to see it on basic cable systems in American border cities. This also affects those of you in Buffalo and Detroit who had been getting CBC on the cable. An article in the Seattle Times outlines the surprise. Break out the bunny ears.

                  Also found this morning in the Times, a claim that rooms are opening up for the Games. However, after looking around the linked websites, most of the hotels are either A) over 100 miles inland on the Trans-Canada Highway or B) on Vancouver Island, and there's a 90-minute ferry ride included in the transit time. You're better off staying in Seattle or Bellingham and chancing the border.
                  Better Dead Than Red Beyotches

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Can

                    Tim Thomas doesn't deserve #30


                    awful. simply awful.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                      Originally posted by du78 View Post
                      Paul Martin has withdrawn from the USA Hockey team. He is not healthy enough to play. No replacement has been named as of yet.

                      http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_05&id=279130
                      My guess is Ryan Whitney.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                        Originally posted by GopherRock View Post
                        Also found this morning in the Times, a claim that rooms are opening up for the Games. However, after looking around the linked websites, most of the hotels are either A) over 100 miles inland on the Trans-Canada Highway or B) on Vancouver Island, and there's a 90-minute ferry ride included in the transit time. You're better off staying in Seattle or Bellingham and chancing the border.
                        When we were at Lake Louise in August they were advertising rooms for the Olympics. 500 miles.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                          Originally posted by GopherRock View Post
                          Also found this morning in the Times, a claim that rooms are opening up for the Games. However, after looking around the linked websites, most of the hotels are either A) over 100 miles inland on the Trans-Canada Highway or B) on Vancouver Island, and there's a 90-minute ferry ride included in the transit time. You're better off staying in Seattle or Bellingham and chancing the border.
                          As of a couple of weeks ago there were still rooms in Surrey and Langley. Both within 30 miles of Vancouver. Both accessible by the Skytrain. And if someone wanted to spend a small fortune and buy a package (flight and hotel) there were still rooms in Vancouver.
                          My Four Favorite teams:
                          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

                          If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

                          I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                            The Games start on Friday, Men's hockey next Tuesday. To bump up this thread and create some discussion I offer this bold prediction: Canada will not win the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey. The Russians are the better team IMO.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

                            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                              Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              The Games start on Friday, Men's hockey next Tuesday. To bump up this thread and create some discussion I offer this bold prediction: Canada will not win the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey. The Russians are the better team IMO.
                              Many people fall into the trap of handicapping the Olympic Hockey Tourney based on the NHL reputation/NHL production levels of the players on each team. I think that's a mistake. In the last three Olympics, six different countries have played in the finals. In the Olympic Tourney, the best talent often doesn't have enough time to gel/dictate results, as you would see in a seven game Staney Cup finals. In Olympic single game elimination, a less talented team can easily advance with only hot goalie and a bounce or two.

                              In other words, Russia and Canada may have the most talent, but this tourney will likely come down to who had the hot goalie. And when that happens, you have 5-6 teams that can win it, including the USA.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: The Official Thread of the Run-Up to the XXI Olympic Winter Games, Vancouver, Canada

                                Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                The Games start on Friday, Men's hockey next Tuesday. To bump up this thread and create some discussion I offer this bold prediction: Canada will not win the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey. The Russians are the better team IMO.
                                The US will medal.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X