Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Actually facing death certainly changes perspective on things doesn't it? Even the light hearted and mundane.
    Given my close calls, including a surgical wound that popped open and continued bleeding while I was sleeping in 2010,.a hemoglobin level of 6 in 2010, extreme weight swings, and a car accident where the difference between death/serious injury and minor pain was a matter of inches ...

"I never learned nothing by playing it safe I say fate should not tempt me"- Mary Chapin Carpenter

Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      My friends baby went down for a nap this week and never woke up.

looks like SIDS but they aren’t likely to ever know.
      My daughter turned 2yo over the weekend. You might as well chop off my ****ing head if that would’ve happened to us.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• This is one of those things I won't even discuss with my wife. Her sister is 39 weeks pregnant and they've been trying for six years. So this kind of **** would just cause everyone in the room to start crying and having nightmares for a month.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Today was ****ing awful.

child was over a year so it’s actually SUDC not SIDS.

i never want to see another toddler coffin again

Comment

• I'm so sorry DGF
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• You have all of my family's sympathy, DGF.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Yeah, they’re looking. I had another friend this happened to years ago and despite the medical investigation, no clear answer ever came.

nothing makes the family feel any better, I guess? No way to feel good here
                Just stay close. Be there. Don't offer any words, words are totally not up to this. Just be a source of love and warmth and comfort.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• About 20 years ago, I was working as a pharmacy tech and doing live sound for club bands. One day I mixed a death metal band called Dying Fetus (they were kinda big in the underground scene at the time) and it was a big thing for me.

I show up to work the next day and two coworkers were asking me about the show... including what the band names were (they loved hearing death metal band names since they're always hilariously goofy). Before I answered, my brain screamed at me to consider the fact that of those two coworkers, one was 9 months pregnant and the other had miscarried twins maybe 6 months earlier.

I wouldn't say the name. They poked and prodded but I held firm. I'd have felt awful if I pinwheeled anyone into depression...
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                    About 20 years ago, I was working as a pharmacy tech and doing live sound for club bands. One day I mixed a death metal band called Dying Fetus (they were kinda big in the underground scene at the time) and it was a big thing for me.

I show up to work the next day and two coworkers were asking me about the show... including what the band names were (they loved hearing death metal band names since they're always hilariously goofy). Before I answered, my brain screamed at me to consider the fact that of those two coworkers, one was 9 months pregnant and the other had miscarried twins maybe 6 months earlier.

I wouldn't say the name. They poked and prodded but I held firm. I'd have felt awful if I pinwheeled anyone into depression...
                    This is beginning of enlightenment. Well done!
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Discovered one of the screws in my right foot is coming loose and is pushing up against the skin.

Plan is to call the orthopedic in the morning and see what the office recommends.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Whoa!

https://newatlas.com/science/lsd-for...early-results/
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Interesting! And this study was specifically looking at the results without associated therapy.

Between this and the recent studies using psilocybin to treat PTSD, I just get more frustrated at the effects of the ridiculous reefer madness garbage that we've been taught for decades.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• My homework this week was to write up a case of a fictional human being and how they would be treated in an Integrated Care setting. This is my story:

Jimbo McCann is a 47 year old white cisgender heterosexual male. He currently works at Conglom-O, Inc, as a mid-level manager. He checked into Brighter Days Health in Kentwood, MI, complaining of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and fatigue. When the office took his weight, he checked in at 265 lbs, more than 50 lbs overweight. At home, his marriage is strained due to the fact he stays at the office 14 hours a day and is hardly ever home to take care of their two year old daughter, Isabelle Jean. Their other children, a 15, 12, and 7, have sacrificed extracurriculars to help with the two year old. He also reports spending most of his free time at a local bar with his friends Mike and Steve. On the intake form, Jimbo indicated he drinks three beers or two very stiff cocktails every night. He did not indicate marijuana or other drug use. Jimbo reports his father sat on the board at Conglom-O and “greased enough palms” so Jimbo could be employed with the company out of high school. Jimbo earned his MBA while employed with the company, but despite additional training and networking, Jimbo has not risen past middle management. His father, now retired, has expressed “extreme disappointment” that Jimbo has not risen higher in the company and has threatened to call in some favors so Jimbo gets fired. Jimbo has a performance review for his job coming up in 2 weeks, and his department is last in sales for the company. He feels hopeless, depressed, and after drinking with Mike and Steve at the bar one night, he reports he “called his father and told him to F off, the dirty mother f-cker. GO AHEAD AND FIRE ME!” Jimbo reports he has never seen a therapist in his life; he says “the McCann boys were told to suck it up and be men.”

Comment

• Well, ****.

My mom (late 70s) has had a nagging cough and lethargy for a few weeks now. They identified anemia right away and have been chasing the cause for the last week or so. As a result, she is about to get the 5th (and maybe even more) cancer diagnosis of her lifetime: thyroid cancer in the '70s, two unrelated breast cancers in the '90s, basal cell in the '10s, squamous cell earlier this summer, and just today a terrifying abdominal CT scan with swollen lymph nodes and at least 5 other sites of concern including colon and pancreas.

If there's a way, though, she's not a bad bet. She completed her 11th marathon 4 weeks after her second mastectomy and went on to do 10 more - one tough mother.

Give that cancer the business, mom.

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• I'm sorry Lynah. Best to your mom and the family. We're rooting for her.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X