Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

I started taking collagen protein in my morning coffee. I recover faster after working (knees and feet feel way better) and my nails grow faster than ever. That's one option.

Another would be to visit your doctor and kill that nail bed. You don't have to have a big toe nail.
    With the rate at which my wife and toddler have stepped on that specific toe in the past month, I need that specific toenail. It’s amazing, but they never seem to step on any of the other toes.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Another would be to visit your doctor and kill that nail bed. You don't have to have a big toe nail.
      I know someone that runs multiple 100 mile races per year. She ended up having a couple nails permanently removed because she just couldn't get them to heal while putting in the miles she did.

Comment

• Had a follow up with the orthopedic surgeon today. No changes, which is good, but at the same time, no changes, which makes me feel awful. I wanted badly to believe my foot would heal and I could do what I loved. And yet, it didn't. No time for sad lament, though...
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I think it depends on if the nailbed itself is permanently injured. In most cases the nail will grow back but it can be deformed. Usually some start to regrowth happens within a month. Dr D is the Derm guy. He should know.
          looked on a medical site- this is what I got "The nail grows at a rate of approximately 1.8-4.5 mm/month or 0.1 mm/day ; thus, the average nail can regrow completely in 6-9 months." Another reference said full regrowth can take 12 months.

Comment

• Not Fun thing I learned: routine exposure to other people's trauma can make you sick and can permanently alter your worldview for the worse.

No wonder self-care and finding a place that offers good agency care is preached so often in my MSW classes.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              ... routine exposure to other people's trauma ...
              Your brain is just a soft, moist computer: What you input to it is programming it.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Not Fun thing I learned: routine exposure to other people's trauma can make you sick and can permanently alter your worldview for the worse.

No wonder self-care and finding a place that offers good agency care is preached so often in my MSW classes.
                100%

I work through a lot of this with my wife. She struggled to watch some of the shows I like (GoT, Westworld, etc.) because there are sometimes scenes that have sexual violence in them that are too similar to what she hears from patients at work. Definitely an issue and we've started to work around them.

But she definitely carries a heavy burden and I imagine a lot of people in the mental health world are similar.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

100%

I work through a lot of this with my wife. She struggled to watch some of the shows I like (GoT, Westworld, etc.) because there are sometimes scenes that have sexual violence in them that are too similar to what she hears from patients at work. Definitely an issue and we've started to work around them.

But she definitely carries a heavy burden and I imagine a lot of people in the mental health world are similar.
                  And it took me a few months to understand this, but if I'm not in a good place myself, then I'm not going to be able to handle clients. It is quite a transition going from "who cares how you're feeling? Come in or get fired" in retail/service/mfg to "hey, you're in a rough patch and you can take time before you come back" in mental health and service professionalism.

Comment

• My best friend. And I say that honestly, has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. I am NOT a happy camper right now.

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And it took me a few months to understand this, but if I'm not in a good place myself, then I'm not going to be able to handle clients. It is quite a transition going from "who cares how you're feeling? Come in or get fired" in retail/service/mfg to "hey, you're in a rough patch and you can take time before you come back" in mental health and service professionalism.
                      Two people on my team suffer from mental health issues (one of them was an inpatient for several months about 18 months ago), and it's extremely important to me that they know that I - as their manager - have their back and want them feeling as good as they possibly can. If they need time, they take time, no questions asked. I know not everyone who manages manages people that are professional and responsible, but the fact is I work with adults and I'd like to treat them accordingly. If you tell me you can't work because (who gives a **** why), then you can't work.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        My best friend. And I say that honestly, has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. I am NOT a happy camper right now.
                        Sorry scoobs. Thinking of you and your friend tonight. :-(
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My best friend. And I say that honestly, has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. I am NOT a happy camper right now.
                          I'm sorry man
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

That's tough to take, and it's easy to let your spirits down, so don't. Stay positive.

Remind your friend of Jon Lester, diagnosed at age 22 with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and pitching for the Nats 16 seasons (and 3 World Series rings) later.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Hope things are heading in the right direction Scooby!

Spent 28 yrs dealing with all sorts of dysfunction in my patients- and some of the staff who were struggling. After awhile it becomes predictable enough that it is loses its shock factor and it took a lot to get to me. Not that I didn't care but I had seen it enough to be prepared and I had a responsibility to help the person as best as I was able. I also started praying/going to church because I needed to give it off to someone/something.

That said, I still abhor Hallmark movies, sitcoms or most popular fiction that revels in the dysfunction. If it is accurate I already had my fill of that at work. If it isn't then I can't let go of wanting to tell them they are stupid. After 5 yrs out I still want escapism. I do not want reality.

Comment

• I'm finding that being back on my mood meds and being titrated back up is helping immensely. Now I need to get back into therapy.

Comment

Working...
                                X