Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Ans there are tons of permutations on how to fund. Germany Switzerland France etc.

thidbis one of my stress of expertise but I’ll wait and be mansplained to by concerned people
    Multiple ways to do it, and all seem quite successful- certainly more so than our system.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

In a broad sense, maybe. Personally I think that there should be a certain level of those items that needs to be socialized, instead of just socializing the entirety of them.
      Like, say, preventive care?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Ugh. Is there no screening test available to you?
        For better or worse, I work in a field that history and the physical exam are by far the most important element. So my screening test is just that, to localize the problem and then, if appropriate, seek the right imaging (I am actually on the very low end of ordering MRIs in my department as I trained in a hospital system with a high poverty/low insurance population).

I very much have a patient population that consists of atypical presentations of atypical conditions which is intellectually rewarding but makes cases very challenging. There are few of us in the field, and it is almost on a weekly basis I am emailing experts across the country/world to get input on a case. When I call in to do a "peer to peer" there is never anyone who is close to a "peer" on the other end except that we both hold MDs (most of the time). Therefore, I usually am speaking Greek to them and just trying to find the random magic word that fits their actuarial table to get the needed test approved.

Once as a fellow I had a patient with spinal cord impingement. It was obvious on history and exam and they needed a semi-urgent MRI. Insurance denied the MRI. I fought it over 2 weeks and eventually talked to a "peer." I stated the patient was myelopathic (medical term for a spinal cord issue) and my "peer" stated that was not an approved word. I went through a list of things, pleading to get it approved and eventually said a positive babinski sign (which is less specific than myelopathy) and that was a magic word that they approved. MRI approved, but unfortunately, the patient worsened before it could be scheduled, went to the ED which did a full spine MRI (she just needed a cervical spine MRI) and she underwent emergent surgery, all which could have been prevented if the first MRI was approved. I would have saved the system tens of thousands of dollars if not for insurance.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Like, say, preventive care?
          On a very, very basic level, sure.

The problem with healthcare is this insurance model we've developed. Insurance works fine for protecting you against catastrophic losses, like your house burns down. It doesn't work well for things that you may need more frequently, or think you need more frequently. None of us would choose an insurance model for food or clothing needs for instance. Our food system would quickly be as screwed up as our medical system.

But, unfortunately, we've gone a long, long way down this road and I'm not sure there is a great way out.

Now, admittedly, I take a fairly morbid view of healthcare. At the end of the day it isn't going to save us.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Don't people need food and shelter way more than they need healthcare to live?
            Yes. And there are literally hundreds of (socialized) government programs to ensure that people don't starve to death.

Sure you want to go down this route?
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Yes. And there are literally hundreds of (socialized) government programs to ensure that people don't starve to death.

Sure you want to go down this route?
              There is a basic safety net, that honestly has more holes in it than netting, to address food needs in this country, but it is a long way away from socialized food. In fact, I'd suggest that the current safety net we have for healthcare, between medicaid and medicare, is probably a stronger and more widespread net than our food net at this time.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

On a very, very basic level, sure.

The problem with healthcare is this insurance model we've developed. Insurance works fine for protecting you against catastrophic losses, like your house burns down. It doesn't work well for things that you may need more frequently, or think you need more frequently. None of us would choose an insurance model for food or clothing needs for instance. Our food system would quickly be as screwed up as our medical system.

But, unfortunately, we've gone a long, long way down this road and I'm not sure there is a great way out.

Now, admittedly, I take a fairly morbid view of healthcare. At the end of the day it isn't going to save us.
                So, according to you, what items should be socialized?
                The insurance model is likely here to stay in this country, certainly for the foreseeable future. I doubt you’ll find anyone on this board who disagrees with you that the current setup is perverse and not health-centric for people in any way, shape, or form. But, I’m not so certain insurance companies are beyond the pale of capably handling Americans who aren’t already on some kind of govt. program for healthcare already.

Comment

There is a basic safety net, that honestly has more holes in it than netting, to address food needs in this country, but it is a long way away from socialized food. In fact, I'd suggest that the current safety net we have for healthcare, between medicaid and medicare, is probably a stronger and more widespread net than our food net at this time.
                  For all its warts and ****tiness and attempts at strangling it, including by Democrats (not so much in the recent past), SNAP does a fairly admirable job. Medicaid/Medicare are wonderful too.

Comment

Don't people need food and shelter way more than they need healthcare to live?
                    Your point?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

For better or worse, I work in a field that history and the physical exam are by far the most important element. So my screening test is just that, to localize the problem and then, if appropriate, seek the right imaging (I am actually on the very low end of ordering MRIs in my department as I trained in a hospital system with a high poverty/low insurance population).

I very much have a patient population that consists of atypical presentations of atypical conditions which is intellectually rewarding but makes cases very challenging. There are few of us in the field, and it is almost on a weekly basis I am emailing experts across the country/world to get input on a case. When I call in to do a "peer to peer" there is never anyone who is close to a "peer" on the other end except that we both hold MDs (most of the time). Therefore, I usually am speaking Greek to them and just trying to find the random magic word that fits their actuarial table to get the needed test approved.

Once as a fellow I had a patient with spinal cord impingement. It was obvious on history and exam and they needed a semi-urgent MRI. Insurance denied the MRI. I fought it over 2 weeks and eventually talked to a "peer." I stated the patient was myelopathic (medical term for a spinal cord issue) and my "peer" stated that was not an approved word. I went through a list of things, pleading to get it approved and eventually said a positive babinski sign (which is less specific than myelopathy) and that was a magic word that they approved. MRI approved, but unfortunately, the patient worsened before it could be scheduled, went to the ED which did a full spine MRI (she just needed a cervical spine MRI) and she underwent emergent surgery, all which could have been prevented if the first MRI was approved. I would have saved the system tens of thousands of dollars if not for insurance.
                      Crazy!

Medicare patients are now subject to a chunk of PAMA (Protecting Access to Medicare Act) that requires the documentation of Clinical Indications of Use, as well as documenting which approved tool you used to determine which specific advanced imaging order you're placing. It was a gigantic undertaking, but the end result is that a provider orders a CT scan and our system generates a score on applicability. Low score = higher chance of denial, and we also offer alternative orders, based on recommendations from the American College of Radiologists. Our docs were apprehensive but seemed to embrace it pretty quickly. All they really need to do "Extra" is choose which CIU. Of course, that isn't attached to the ICD 10 diagnoses (we looked into tying them together but HOLY HELL the cost).

It's odd, despite Trump and the GQP's nonstop meddling, CMS has taken some pretty substantive steps over the last couple of years to streamline and consistify (that totally ought to be a word) reimbursement. Even when I first started, if you pitched a project with "Medicare needs..." you'd get a bunch of groans. Now? Not so much. Meanwhile BCBS refuses to accept the fact that the times are changing and are denying valid claims over and over and over for insane reasons. We're definitely getting our money's worth from our legal department, that's for sure.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I can personally attest to the extreme difficulty getting things approved for covid complications. Basically four MRIs and it was a nightmare to get peer approvals. This will be a nightmare for years.

oh and still no explanation for my issues

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          concern!
                          Gotta chime in somewhere when you’re ignoring the fact your party is taking a huge step towards total authoritarianism today

Comment

• Can we start with a system that doesn't treat teeth and eyes as luxury body parts I must pay extra for?
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Medicare runs at like 3% overhead. Private insurance is like 30%.

**** insurance companies. We'll pay for a quarter of it on executive bonuses alone. God I ****ing hope hell is a CEO who can't afford to care for a family member.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Greg? Dat you?
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X