Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good news is it looks to be clearing up.

But when Kep talks about makeup, I just hear "Old Man Yells At Clouds."
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      And makeup is stupid and ruins looks.

The things people do for their consumerist Masters.
      I hate it and don’t wear much at all. It’s just how I prefer myself and feel more comfortable. Many women feel better wearing it, I’m just not one.

of course most men claim to love the minimalist make up look, which actually can take quite a bit of time and makeup.

Comment

• And for a trans woman, makeup is often the difference between being treated with respect or not.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• In my Mental Health and Health Care Policy class, I learned Reagan gutted mental health funding (the 2007 housing crisis finished the job) and that jails and prisons house a solid majority of the nation's mentally ill. There are the "Betty Ford" clinics for those who can afford it, but everyone else has to fight for scraps.

Today, I wanted to pee on Reagan's grave, but it was unavailable.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            In my Mental Health and Health Care Policy class, I learned Reagan gutted mental health funding (the 2007 housing crisis finished the job) and that jails and prisons house a solid majority of the nation's mentally ill. There are the "Betty Ford" clinics for those who can afford it, but everyone else has to fight for scraps.

Today, I wanted to pee on Reagan's grave, but it was unavailable.
            I'm not as down on Reagan as many, but one of his worst acts was to eliminate mental health funding. The system needed an overhaul badly, not to be destroyed.

(his other truly shameful act was to so actively ignore HIV, but that's another issue entirely)
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Many in the medical field look down on mental health, and their clout and representation in state houses and Washington dwarfs that of ours. Their needs have come before ours for a long time now, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                (his other truly shameful act was to so actively ignore HIV, but that's another issue entirely)
                Reagan's shameful acts could fill a book.

His election is still the worst mistake America made -- an America that elected Dump.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                  Many in the medical field look down on mental health
                  There's a reason that in med schools psychiatry is known as the specialty for average students who couldn't get into better residencies.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

There's a reason that in med schools psychiatry is known as the specialty for average students who couldn't get into better residencies.
                    Unfortunate. Mental health is quite important, and frequently under-diagnosed in the general population. Persistent, elevated stress leads to all kinds of physical ailments. Sound mind, sound body. But, the way our healthcare system is set up, we’ll stay the little b-tch stepchild we are, probably for my career.

Comment

Frasier and Niles crane would argue that!

Comment

• OTOH you have dermatologists, whose residency programs are extremely competitive and hard to get a spot in without top grades. Probably because they make a sh*tload of money once they're in practice. ;-)

Comment

OTOH you have dermatologists, whose residency programs are extremely competitive and hard to get a spot in without top grades. Probably because they make a sh*tload of money once they're in practice. ;-)
                          And don't forget, Dermatology offers a lifestyle without nearly as many emergency calls and far more flexible hours. These are major reasons the residency positions are so competitive and difficult to obtain and also why so many women who graduate medical school try to get into a dermatology program. Many can balance raising children while still maintaining a dermatology practice either part or full time.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• And the Doc chimes in with what I was going to post. I can remember many a time where no one was available for a consult after hours. How many derm emergencies are there? I know there are some but not many.

I worked in Family Practice beginning in the late 80s. I actually had patients that were booted out of the 'institutions'. It was awful and unconscionable. Some of these patients had lived in the same place for decades. They formed bonds with staff and other patients that they lost and were thrown into unsuitable situations with no support and no skills. I had one lady I rounded on in a nursing home who was mourning the loss of her 'family' for yrs after she had been transferred. Heartbreaking.

Originally posted by psych View Post

Unfortunate. Mental health is quite important, and frequently under-diagnosed in the general population. Persistent, elevated stress leads to all kinds of physical ailments. Sound mind, sound body. But, the way our healthcare system is set up, we’ll stay the little b-tch stepchild we are, probably for my career.
                            All of this!!

Anyone in Family Practice who has even one working synapse agrees with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Worse than under-diagnosed. In my experience we knew there was an underlying condition but it was literally impossible to get the patient in to see psych- there were not enough providers, insurance didn't cover or under-covered, many times the places that were covered were >30 minutes away and only had availability in the middle of the work day. It wasn't treated so they were in to see us constantly because when you can't from without you cry from within.

I taught health assessment to nursing students for a couple of yrs and one thing I pounded into them was it is imperative you look at the whole pt. You can't ignore psychosocial issues and be successful in helping the patient.

If they ever treated all the psych stuff much of the other specialties would stop making so much money.
                            Last edited by leswp1; 05-10-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

OTOH you have dermatologists, whose residency programs are extremely competitive and hard to get a spot in without top grades. Probably because they make a sh*tload of money once they're in practice. ;-)
                              If it’s wet, keep it dry. If it’s dry keep it wet.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

If it?s wet, keep it dry. If it?s dry keep it wet.
                                Advice from the guy who couldn’t figure out what kind of kitty to get his wife!

Comment

Working...
                                X