Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wait, MS can cause memory issues? I had no idea. I'm sorry man... That absolutely sucks...
    Or could you not remember? :-O
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Or could you not remember? :-O
      I dunno. My aunt has MS, though there’s no record of anyone else in my family having it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Fark cancer. That is all.
        Just to reiterate, fark cancer. My father in law went from almost singlehandedly deforesting an entire acerage in August after the derecho swept through to passing away last night less than 5 months later. The last month in particular sucked monkey balls after the first few months gave us hope.

Comment

Just to reiterate, fark cancer. My father in law went from almost singlehandedly deforesting an entire acerage in August after the derecho swept through to passing away last night less than 5 months later. The last month in particular sucked monkey balls after the first few months gave us hope.
          Sorry to hear that, uno.

Comment

Jesus man. I'm so sorry.

Cancer sucks.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I’m sorry uno. My condolences to you and your family.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Sorry to hear this uno. The best to you and the family.

Comment

• Not sure where to put this, so I'm going to put this here.

There was a real interesting story in the Grand Forks Herald about medical insurance, and a rule of which I was completely unaware. The story is behind a paywall, so I will just sort of summarize it.

Apparently if a married couple each have their own health insurance through their place of work, and they then have a child, coverage for the child is governed by something called the "birthday rule." Basically, the parent whose birthday falls first during the calendar year provides the primary insurance for the child.

This rule created an issue which lead to the Herald story because the father, whose coverage ended up as primary coverage, had terrible insurance and as a result, when the child was born with some really bad medical problems the family got stuck with some very large bills.

The problem apparently could have been avoided had the father simply dropped his insurance and signed up under his wife's coverage, which probably explains why I was unaware of the rule, since my family was always covered under my insurance.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Not sure where to put this, so I'm going to put this here.

There was a real interesting story in the Grand Forks Herald about medical insurance, and a rule of which I was completely unaware. The story is behind a paywall, so I will just sort of summarize it.

Apparently if a married couple each have their own health insurance through their place of work, and they then have a child, coverage for the child is governed by something called the "birthday rule." Basically, the parent whose birthday falls first during the calendar year provides the primary insurance for the child.

This rule created an issue which lead to the Herald story because the father, whose coverage ended up as primary coverage, had terrible insurance and as a result, when the child was born with some really bad medical problems the family got stuck with some very large bills.

The problem apparently could have been avoided had the father simply dropped his insurance and signed up under his wife's coverage, which probably explains why I was unaware of the rule, since my family was always covered under my insurance.
                    The parents can't just choose?

Who the hell wrote that rule? (I know, the insurance industry did and I suspect your party helped since hey it monetizes pain).
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Who the hell wrote that rule? (I know, the insurance industry did and I suspect your party helped since hey it monetizes pain).
                      I don't even think it's a law. I think it's just part of the concept of "coordination of benefits" which insurers work out among themselves. I suppose it works out equally for the insurers, and I suspect for a lot of people it probably doesn't matter a whole lot since the coverage might be similar for each parent. Anyway, I thought people would be interested in it. Our kids are off my tab, so I guess it won't matter to me unless a surprise pops up.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

A baby is initially covered under the policy of one of their parents basically as an extension of the individual. When our some was born the hospital gave us a choice (mother or fathers insurance) for initial coverage for the baby, but said most people choose the mother (we were both on the same plan, so it didn’t matter that much). After that, I don’t see why either parent couldn’t add them to their employer based policy as having a baby allows you to make changes outside the open enrollment period.

Comment

• Sorry uno. Fvck Cancer.

WHat BassAle said- we had a choice of which person to put the kiddo on. In all the yrs I was in Practice I never heard of the rule of which parent. Parents always chose. I wonder if it is a particular State thing. Or maybe HR?

Comment

• Two friends under the age of 42 have died in last two weeks, both of “heart issues” one with pre existing condition of hypertension.

Both had been exposed to covid, so this will be yet another few cases where it’s hard to say if covid caused it- but there’s certainly evidence of covid being nasty if you have these conditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              After that, I don’t see why either parent couldn’t add them to their employer based policy as having a baby allows you to make changes outside the open enrollment period.
                              So it's just an arbitrary rule in the absence of the parents fixing it themselves, because some parents are idiots?

OK, I can see that.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I realized I have ADHD. But I understand why my parents didn't send me for a diagnosis when I was a child. All that would have happened in the late 1980s is I would have been removed from regular education, put in with the "special" kids, and given a Ritalin prescription. And Ritalin was the answer to everything then.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X