Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Hey. It aint cancer.
    It sure ain't cancer.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Had my post-op appointment yesterday; free to wear the cute bras now. Everything healed nicely.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Had my post-op appointment yesterday; free to wear the cute bras now. Everything healed nicely.
        Pics or GTFO.

(somebody check on mookie)

Hell, it's not like we have a moderator...
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dr. Mrs. just made coffee. With the coffee cup sitting happily right next to the coffee maker. Something like this happens about once a month. Only a matter of time until it's something not funny. And there's nothing we can do about it.

F-ck MS.
          I’ve been learning about MS because I’ve already been checked for it, but of course it’s not completely ruled out. My issues stemming from covid caused an immediate brain mri to check for MS because doc said normally with MS there’s some activity that becomes apparent on the results. It doesn’t show anything yet, but it’s not crazy for a virus to trigger an auto immune disease

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

I’ve been learning about MS because I’ve already been checked for it, but of course it’s not completely ruled out. My issues stemming from covid caused an immediate brain mri to check for MS because doc said normally with MS there’s some activity that becomes apparent on the results. It doesn’t show anything yet, but it’s not crazy for a virus to trigger an auto immune disease
            Dr. Mrs.' neurologist pointed out the similarity: "one less thing to worry about, your brain's already damaged."

My understanding (which is superficial) is that COVID won't trigger MS but COVID can cause short term memory loss similar to some flavors of MS. I don't know whether the COVID version is irreparable the way the MS version is. My impression (which is even more superficial) is the COVID version is neuro-chemical and thus normal activity can return, as opposed to the MS version which is actually destroying physical brain tissue.
            Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2021, 01:15 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I made it people's business by venting about it because it sucks so bad and I need company to at least share it.

In extreme case MS turns your short term memory to porridge. You don't know what you were doing 10 seconds ago and don't know you don't know. Dr. Mrs. has this. It is horrible to watch a young PhD go through short bursts in which she essentially has Alzheimers. And then realize it a few minutes later. It's like she's being buried alive, cognitively.

Her meds are supposed to arrest it (it's lesions on the brain so they're irreparable but hopefully it won't get worse). We are incredibly lucky -- her daily pills, which didn't exist ten years ago, cost $300 each on the free market but through a combination of circumstances we get them for a tenth of that. And her doctor is (by pure chance) one of the leading researchers on her specific type of MS (and they bonded so she gets incredibly good care to the point of her doctor threatening hospitals and insurance companies). We are lucky. But it f-cking sucks. Hasa diga eebowai.
              I have a friend that has M.S. It got to the point where she couldn't work (she also had a PhD), and and was barely active. She's lucky though -- she had an amazing recovery that I don't think many people experience. At one point, she got sick of being disabled to the point of being unable to work, or get out an enjoy herself. She saw the runners for our local marathon and decided "I'm going to do that". She trained her *** off, and while she never became a "fast" runner (she's still a lot faster than me), she became a long distance runner. She's completed a bunch of marathons and then turned to ultramarathons (100 mile). She doesn't finish every ultra she enters, and she isn't the fastest, but she has completed a number 100 milers. She's doing great, working as a research scientist. It really blows my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

I have a friend that has M.S. It got to the point where she couldn't work (she also had a PhD), and and was barely active. She's lucky though -- she had an amazing recovery that I don't think many people experience. At one point, she got sick of being disabled to the point of being unable to work, or get out an enjoy herself. She saw the runners for our local marathon and decided "I'm going to do that". She trained her *** off, and while she never became a "fast" runner (she's still a lot faster than me), she became a long distance runner. She's completed a bunch of marathons and then turned to ultramarathons (100 mile). She doesn't finish every ultra she enters, and she isn't the fastest, but she has completed a number 100 milers. She's doing great, working as a research scientist. It really blows my mind.
                When she was unable to work was it physical or cognitive? According to her neurologist, Dr. Mrs. is not at risk of winding up in a wheelchair; just of being a drooling vegetable.
                Cornell University

Comment

When she was unable to work was it physical or cognitive? According to her neurologist, Dr. Mrs. is not at risk of winding up in a wheelchair; just of being a drooling vegetable.
                  I think it was a mix of both, but probably more physical than cognitive.

Comment

Pics or GTFO.

(somebody check on mookie)

Hell, it's not like we have a moderator...
                    You're not getting a free show.
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

You're not getting a free show.
                      I'm sure mookie would organize a Gofundme.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Sorry to hear Kep. That sucks.

Comment

Just link a BlackPink video and he'll be fine.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I don't care what mookie is doing, you're still not getting a free show.

Comment

Dr. Mrs. just made coffee. With the coffee cup sitting happily right next to the coffee maker. Something like this happens about once a month. Only a matter of time until it's something not funny. And there's nothing we can do about it.

F-ck MS.
                              Wait, MS can cause memory issues? I had no idea. I'm sorry man... That absolutely sucks...
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Foot update: X-rays showed no progress, but it's not getting worse. Surgeon and I both agreed that running at all will not happen for now, but said swimming, cycling, and aquabike could happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X