Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

What you suffered is a rather common reaction. Many who get it feel like they have gotten the flu (impossible with these shots as there is no live virus used). What you felt can occur with any of the 4 common shots given. Seniors over 65 should be getting what is called the High Dose shot. It has 4 times as much antigen in it so as to try to get a better antibody response as we old times just do not make then as easily as younger patients. Those under 65 get the regular dosage. In theory the HD dose shot for those older folks should give more frequent reactions and somewhat more severe reactions than what you suffered. But now we have to add in another variable. Eac of these two shots can be given in two fashions. The first is the traditional shot as describes above. The other is a shot containing adjuvant (an oil compound meant to elicit a much greater antibody response). When adjuvant is added to the regular shot (for those under 65) the shot is otherwise the same. When it is added to the HD shot for seniors, then they lower the dosage and give a lower dose because in theory, the HD dose is not needed.
    Any time you take any of these, try taking a couple Tylenol before you go and then again a couple hours after the hsot. most people find that helpful in avoiding the reaction you felt.
    Personally I would not take anything with adjuvant in it unless it has been used for many years before. There is a fairly large increase in Sarcoma cancers in cats and dogs when it has been shown that they received rabies shots with adjuvant included instead of simple rabies injections.
    Uh huh
    uh huh
    right
    Cool
    wait..
    OMG
    W TF?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I think I mentioned this before, but couldn’t find the post.
      On ****ty shot reactions, last year I got the flu and pneumonia vaccines the same day, same arm.

The lymph nodes under my arm swelled to the point I couldn’t comfortably keep my arm in a normal position at my side. That first day was awfully worrying. Never had any kind of reaction like it before.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        OK, Cafe docs.

So, I went for my flu shot today. I am embarrassed to admit I have not had one in years, but the realities of this year brought home how stupid I was being.

Here's two observations: (1) Needles have gotten smaller or better or something. I have virtually zero pain tolerance and shots have always been very difficult for me. I barely noticed it. (2) About 2 hours after the shot I started to feel really dizzy. But in a good way, like drunk dizzy. It lasted about an hour. I enjoyed it immensely. So, what was that about? I've never had that reaction to a shot in my life (though I read up on it to make sure I wasn't about to drop dead and sure enough it is one reaction to a flu shot).
        I had a weird reaction to my flu shot as well. My arm where I had the shot felt numb. I felt pain for a few hours. I was exhausted the rest of the night, went to bed early. Very odd. I've had a shot 3 out of the last 4 years I'm guessing. I used to never get the flu shot before that.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I had a cocktail in feb of hep/typhoid/cholera for my Asia trip that never happened and I did not feel well after that.

flu shot is tomorrow and I’m hoping for nothing crazy post covid

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I think I mentioned this before, but couldn’t find the post.
            On ****ty shot reactions, last year I got the flu and pneumonia vaccines the same day, same arm.

The lymph nodes under my arm swelled to the point I couldn’t comfortably keep my arm in a normal position at my side. That first day was awfully worrying. Never had any kind of reaction like it before.
            Some have recommended taking both e flu shot and one of the pneumonia shots the same day. personally I would do it but choose to do one in each arm. usually it is best to follow up the first pneumonia shot a bit over a year later with a second one which is more inclusive of strains (23 vs 13). As I recall when I took these shots, I had a bit of a mild reaction to both of the pneumonia shots but nothing to really mention.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I had a weird reaction to my flu shot as well. My arm where I had the shot felt numb. I felt pain for a few hours. I was exhausted the rest of the night, went to bed early. Very odd. I've had a shot 3 out of the last 4 years I'm guessing. I used to never get the flu shot before that.
              Always ask what exactly is being put into that needle that is going into your arm. There are 2 separate and different flu shots for those under age 65 and another separate and more potent set of 2 different shots for those of us over 65. you need to know which kind of shot (adjuvant containing or not) so that the following year you can determine if one gives you more of a problem than the other. Also, bears repeating, try not to ever go for any of these inoculations if you are ill or not fully recovered from something. All the reactions I have ever seen have been fairly mild but there is always the exception.

Comment

• Late to the party! I got SHingrix earlier this yr and was incapacitated. Got it in the late afternoon, by the next morning felt lousy. By afternoon I was on the couch shivering, aching and feeling like sh1t. My bro had same reaction. mr les had nothing. I guess that means my immune response was, um, vigorous.

Saw something once about Tylenol before or after an imm being contraindicated. Can't remember which journal (sorry, no linky). Theory was they want you to have an immune response. WHen you are feeling lousy it is because of the interferon release. There was some thought that the Tylenol would supress fever and mess that up. I always said I was going to look into more but when I was working I was too busy and now it doesn't matter if I know.

I still have to get my flus shot. Have been in absolute hell week at work and I usually go down for the count so couldn't risk it. Tomorrow is the plan. Followed by a reallllllllly large glass of wine and bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  Late to the party! I got SHingrix earlier this yr and was incapacitated. Got it in the late afternoon, by the next morning felt lousy. By afternoon I was on the couch shivering, aching and feeling like sh1t. My bro had same reaction. mr les had nothing. I guess that means my immune response was, um, vigorous.

Saw something once about Tylenol before or after an imm being contraindicated. Can't remember which journal (sorry, no linky). Theory was they want you to have an immune response. WHen you are feeling lousy it is because of the interferon release. There was some thought that the Tylenol would supress fever and mess that up. I always said I was going to look into more but when I was working I was too busy and now it doesn't matter if I know.

I still have to get my flus shot. Have been in absolute hell week at work and I usually go down for the count so couldn't risk it. Tomorrow is the plan. Followed by a reallllllllly large glass of wine and bed.
                  Les: you are not alone with the reaction to SHingrix. The number of people who complain to me about a reaction is far more than has been reported in the literature. I find almost 75% call me within a few hours and threaten me with retribution! The shivering can be severe but the reaction usually lasts less than about 6 hours. As far as Tylenol, the early reports that seemed to indicate it was a bad idea have been far outweighed by it's ability to lessen the post shot reactions. Not so with aspirin. Most of us still feel there is far too great a risk of Reye's syndrome. There is really no great evidence of this happening frequently, but all it takes is once as the consequences can be very serious. Once thought of as only a problem with young kids and Varicella (Chickenpox) or flu, it is just not worth the risk as a few cases have been reported and although a relationship to a previous vaccination has not been made in absolute terms, even a tenuous cause and effect is just not worth the risk.
                  Glad you joined in, although late to the party, your input is always valuable.

Comment

• What about ibuprofen? Our house got rid of all the Tylenol. I haven’t taken Tylenol in probably 15 years. Acetaminophen scares the everliving **** out of me.
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      What about ibuprofen? Our house got rid of all the Tylenol. I haven’t taken Tylenol in probably 15 years. Acetaminophen scares the everliving **** out of me.
                      Wot?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Basically, Tylenol is even worse for your liver than originally thought and should only be taken occasionally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Wot?
                          If you OD Tylenol, very bad things happen. For pain management, like post-surgical at-home, you’re usually advised to switch to every-other dose between Tylenol (or its non-union, Mexican equivalent) and ibuprofen.

What’s Shingrix? I thought les had misspelled shingles at first.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

If you OD Tylenol, very bad things happen. For pain management, like post-surgical at-home, you’re usually advised to switch to every-other dose between Tylenol (or its non-union, Mexican equivalent) and ibuprofen.

What’s Shingrix? I thought les had misspelled shingles at first.
                            Shingrix is a shingles vaccine delivered in a series of two shots a few months apart. My reaction was apparently pretty common for both shots. Sore shoulder and light flu like symptoms for a day.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

If you OD Tylenol, very bad things happen.
                              Sola dosis facit venenum.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with taking acetaminophen as prescribed. As for taking it not as prescribed...

Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Basically, Tylenol is even worse for your liver than originally thought and should only be taken occasionally.
                                Taking 4 of them in one day one time? If your liver cannot tolerate that then you have a lot more wrong than Tylenol toxicity. Ibuprofen is fine, sometimes a bit harsh on the stomach, but a good alternative.

Comment

Working...
                                X