Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

I got nagged into the flu shot by my doctor after my 9 month hospital stay a few years back. Now I'll just agree to it from which of my five that I see when it starts (usually the GP or my lung doctor)
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I've never gotten a flu shot. I don't think it causes autism and I don't think it's a conspiracy. I'm part of the crowd who doesn't see the value when it seems like they have to make educated guesses which strains will be big this season.
      A) it’s free. At almost any clinic, most large employers clinics on site, grocery stores, targets, etc. so really the cost is $0

B) You get it because it will prevent you from getting the flu if “they guessed right” which is borderline ignorance and you’re not a dumb person. And even if they don’t precisely nail the strain, it reduces the severity.

C) it’s not just about you. It’s about helping protect those around you who can’t get the vaccine. Whether they are allergic to eggs or have some other condition that prevents it.

D) If you’ve ever had real influenza, you would make sure you never get it again.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        A) it’s free. At almost any clinic, most large employers clinics on site, grocery stores, targets, etc. so really the cost is $0

B) You get it because it will prevent you from getting the flu if “they guessed right” which is borderline ignorance and you’re not a dumb person. And even if they don’t precisely nail the strain, it reduces the severity.

C) it’s not just about you. It’s about helping protect those around you who can’t get the vaccine. Whether they are allergic to eggs or have some other condition that prevents it.

D) If you’ve ever had real influenza, you would make sure you never get it again.
        D x 100. There is no way I won’t get the vaccine now

My in laws don’t get it, probably because they had some mild illness after they got the flu shot (I guarantee it wasn’t influenza). They either think it makes them sick or it doesn’t work. My mother in law also thinks she has side effects from every medication no matter how rare and unlikely the side effect is

Comment

I admittedly used to be in the "I'm young and healthy, I can deal with the flu, if my immune system ain't broke don't fix it, save my vaccine for someone who really needs it" camp, but I've since decided there's no excuse given where I work (it's offered free to all employees if that's a nudge) and now I get one every year.

Also, there are exactly 184 Q-tips left in the box in my bathroom.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The Flu can be a killer and it's vaccine can save lives. Those are facts that cannot be disputed. They will be though by those who are entitled to their own set of facts.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I was trying not to chime in because as a Healthcare person I am always on the soap box about it. You saved me all the typing so all I will say is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!1!11!1!!!

Comment

My doc walked in, saw my chart, and said, “I see you got your flu shot.”
                Me: Yep. Every year.
                Dr: That just warms the cockles of my heart

I laughed out loud. She’s so awesome.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I've never gotten a flu shot. I don't think it causes autism and I don't think it's a conspiracy. I'm part of the crowd who doesn't see the value when it seems like they have to make educated guesses which strains will be big this season.
                  I'm almost a hermit, whether it be personal or job (I work with one other person 1/2 a day, and contact is minimal). I don't have a tinfoil hat. I don't think it causes any other illness, other than possibly a 6 month cold. (that last sentence was stolen from a comedian, btw). I *ing hate needles. No flu shot for me.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I'm almost a hermit, whether it be personal or job (I work with one other person 1/2 a day, and contact is minimal). I don't have a tinfoil hat. I don't think it causes any other illness, other than possibly a 6 month cold. (that last sentence was stolen from a comedian, btw). I *ing hate needles. No flu shot for me.
                    Um .... Not .... Quite ... correct.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      Um .... Not .... Quite ... correct.
                      You missed the part where I took that line from a comedian, which meant it was a joke.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You missed the part where I took that line from a comedian, which meant it was a joke.
                        My bad.

However, your final sentence is both your bad and our bad. You will probably be more than healthy enough to fight off the flu. The people you could expose may not have that luxury. And believe me, unless you literally live in a bubble, you will be exposing people.
                        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                        Groucho Marx
                        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                        Ron White
                        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                        Milo Bloom

Comment

I typically view the flu as a chance for me to lose weight, and thus don't get the flu shot. This year, for other reasons, I figured it was in my best interest to get one.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

I’d rather run a marathon than get the flu again.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I’d rather run a marathon than get the flu again.
                              I came down with the flu about a week or so before I was scheduled to get the shot through my employer's program had a mass-vaccination effort scheduled for employees. That was a tough few weeks.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

https://www.webmd.com/children/vacci...-nasal-spray#1

Comment

Working...
                                X