Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit by bit he fades away.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by akerry
      I was diagnosed with ed.
      Electrile dysfunction?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by akerry
        I was diagnosed with ed. I just found out about new effective meds for men's health - eroxon gel. I'm about to try it as I have some problems with my stamina. Does somebody hear about them?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepub...lities/ed.html
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Well, after 42 years on this planet and playing hockey for half that time, finally broke something bigger than a finger or toe. Crashed into the boards awkwardly tonight, broke my upper arm just above the elbow. Didn't want to look at the xrays myself but the wife did and said it was broken in multiple pieces. Arm mainly just went completely numb, which made it fun getting up and off the ice. Then keeping it stable on the drive to the hospital was a peach, too

ER just gave me pain meds and splinted it and sent me home. Getting an ortho consult tomorrow for surgery later this week. Fun times I tell you. Just thankful it was just the arm and not head/ neck/ back. And it's the left arm, too, so that's a bonus, too.

The er gave me percoset. Being honest, it's helped some but I don't feel like it's doing that much more than standard OTCs. Guess we'll see in the morning after it wears off if it was doing more than I think.
            Last edited by unofan; 01-21-2024, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the consult brings better news than what it sounds like...

Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Be careful out on the roads. Despite all the safety and crumpling in vehicles nowadays if you get T-Boned in the drivers side door you are screwed. A good friend from work left the office on Friday about an hour after I did and that is exactly what happened.

Concussion
                Multiple compound fractures in his lower legs
                Broken Pelvis
                Broken Ribs

Lucky to be alive. At HCMC. Has had multiple surgeries already and more to come. Still not sure if he'll be able to walk normally again. Still trying to figure out if he's maintained his cognition. It's beyond crushing to the psyche. This is one of the good guys. From what I hear in the updates he is the ideal patient for a hospital. I don't think I have ever been as good a human as he is and it's sad to hear about what his family is going through.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Well, after 42 years on this planet and playing hockey for half that time, finally broke something bigger than a finger or toe. Crashed into the boards awkwardly tonight, broke my upper arm just above the elbow. Didn't want to look at the xrays myself but the wife did and said it was broken in multiple pieces. Arm mainly just went completely numb, which made it fun getting up and off the ice. Then keeping it stable on the drive to the hospital was a peach, too

ER just gave me pain meds and splinted it and sent me home. Getting an ortho consult tomorrow for surgery later this week. Fun times I tell you. Just thankful it was just the arm and not head/ neck/ back. And it's the left arm, too, so that's a bonus, too.

The er gave me percoset. Being honest, it's helped some but I don't feel like it's doing that much more than standard OTCs. Guess we'll see in the morning after it wears off if it was doing more than I think.
                  Hopes for fast healing. I assume the cast is over the elbow? That'll be fun getting it to bend 4-6 weeks from now (been there).

I ended up getting more severely injured playing no-check beer league than I ever did playing full check in high school. Sprained MCL, 5 stitches in my chin, separated shoulder, cracked ribs (twice). The Percocet for the ribs made me hallucinate at night so I just lived with the pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

Hopes for fast healing. I assume the cast is over the elbow? That'll be fun getting it to bend 4-6 weeks from now (been there).

I ended up getting more severely injured playing no-check beer league than I ever did playing full check in high school. Sprained MCL, 5 stitches in my chin, separated shoulder, cracked ribs (twice). The Percocet for the ribs made me hallucinate at night so I just lived with the pain.
                    cast will have to be over the elbow, break is just north of it and every time it twitches in the splint I get a nice spike of pain.

still waiting for the ortho consult. The Ames hospital couldn't handle it so I've been referred to someone in Des Moines. That's always a great sign...

Comment

cast will have to be over the elbow, break is just north of it and every time it twitches in the splint I get a nice spike of pain.

still waiting for the ortho consult. The Ames hospital couldn't handle it so I've been referred to someone in Des Moines. That's always a great sign...
                      Did you regain sensation in all parts of the hand/arm? The radial nerve can be injured with humerus breaks, it provides sensation to the dorsal aspect of the thumb and motor function for wrist extension/finger extension.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Did you regain sensation in all parts of the hand/arm? The radial nerve can be injured with humerus breaks, it provides sensation to the dorsal aspect of the thumb and motor function for wrist extension/finger extension.
                        yep. been wiggling/stretching fingers since the initial shock numbness wore off. could feel everything when the docs tested it at the ER.

Comment

yep. been wiggling/stretching fingers since the initial shock numbness wore off. could feel everything when the docs tested it at the ER.
                          Glad to hear. Hopefully the break heals well.
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Metal detectors are going to love me going forward. Plate and 15 screws to put my arm back together. Shockingly, no hard cast. Just a splint and sling and lots of happy pills.

Comment

• As it was explained when I busted my left wrist in 2018, there is a strong push to get away from hard casts whenever possible. You want to retain movement whenever possible to limit degradation. Allowing some movement also allows things to heal better in many cases. There are also the Quality of Life factors to consider (Ex: no more shower/bath problems).

Obviously casts aren't going away, but they are no longer required equipment for any and all broken bones.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Metal detectors are going to love me going forward. Plate and 15 screws to put my arm back together. Shockingly, no hard cast. Just a splint and sling and lots of happy pills.
                                Iron Man uno
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X