Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by akerry
    Mental illnesses are really hard to deal with
    Like ransomware?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

    Comment


    • Always fun when OECD data is shown

      https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/s/1Wc2h9Oo5t

      link to actual data

      https://www.oecd.org/health/health-at-a-glance/

      Comment


      • https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2023/11...ealth-care#_=_

        It has taken a few yrs for people to start talking about it but OMG was it good to hear it be acknowledged. Have 4 people over the age of 86 in my family. Have watched incredibly bad medicine with lack of cohesive care, ridiculous roadblocks to people trying to practice good medicine and been told I should accept the way things are... I am unreasonable when I expect things that would have gotten people [fired, written up, or loss of licensure] if they weren't done before. Bad outcomes due to bad medicine because the money grubbers have set things up to prevent good medicine. I have averted a few disasters but stepping in but not always there or capable.

        Currently one of my family is in hospital after near death d/t no one dealing with the thing that would have prevented the event, lack of timely care, and most important no coordination of care. Went from very active- walking a mile a day, running a business to intubated, MI, bypass vessel failure, kidney failure, all of which prevents treatment of another condition that will now be fatal.

        I spent 3 days agitating before we could get anyone discuss how all the diagnoses affected what could be done. More importantly- it took 7 days to get anyone to discuss his full code status= they thought coding would be disastrous but no one seemed to think it was on them to discuss. They all said changing it should be top priority 4+ days ago.

        NO movement from medicals on offering the change. I continued to ask. This guy is a medical mess and could crash at any time. Nothing. Finally his long time specialist got wind of this (he only rounds inhouse one time a week) and talked to the pt. The person agreed but wanted to talk to family then change their status. Staff was informed in early evening- would be "handled the next day".

        The next morning nothing mentioned so family brought up again first thing. Asked multiple times to get the paper to review. 8, EIGHT, hours of waiting and being told a Dr would come in to sign- nurse had put in multiple requests (during the day, hospitalists in house) at 7p I made such a stink they called the Nursing Supervisor who managed to get someone in to sign.

        Un-be-lievable. (no one can tell I am a little, just a little, beside myself about all of this)

        Uffda. We need to move to a country that has a real medical system. This goes beyond I have insurance and or money to get attention.
        Last edited by leswp1; 11-15-2023, 09:03 AM.

        Comment


        • I'm sorry you have to deal with that, what an awful situation, and how lucky your family member to have you around to advocate for them. I don't have much to add as I won't pretend to know the actual delivery of healthcare better than you.

          But I agree that our system is basically broken so badly that I don't know how to reasonably fix it. Like, sure we could do things. Single payer. Eliminate for-profit healthcare (somehow define that properly, whatever "properly" even means). Align processes nationally so your situation doesn't just get dropped.


          Canada, Asia and Europe all have issues with their healthcare systems, but they're still orders of magnitude better than what we have here. We go on and on and on about how we're the best country in the world but... my god are we behind.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Swansong View Post


            Canada, Asia and Europe all have issues with their healthcare systems, but they're still orders of magnitude better than what we have here. We go on and on and on about how we're the best country in the world but... my god are we behind.
            i need this tattooed to my forehead. Americans are so effing dumb.

            im no longer with the evil empire - which is great- but their layoffs are legit to just offshore more work and make execs more money. The sheer amount of execs there that are over 300k base pay would make people sick

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Swansong View Post
              We go on and on and on about how we're the best country in the world but... my god are we behind.
              Nobody with a brain in their head considers us among even the top 10 countries in the world. There's an argument to be made we are not even top 20.

              We sure used to be, though.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                Nobody with a brain in their head considers us among even the top 10 countries in the world. There's an argument to be made we are not even top 20.

                We sure used to be, though.
                Then what's so wrong with Making America Great Again?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by burd View Post

                  Then what's so wrong with Making America Great Again?
                  Nothing in principle.

                  Make Amerika a Fascist Ethnostate is not ideal OTOH.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                    I'm sorry you have to deal with that, what an awful situation, and how lucky your family member to have you around to advocate for them. I don't have much to add as I won't pretend to know the actual delivery of healthcare better than you.

                    But I agree that our system is basically broken so badly that I don't know how to reasonably fix it. Like, sure we could do things. Single payer. Eliminate for-profit healthcare (somehow define that properly, whatever "properly" even means). Align processes nationally so your situation doesn't just get dropped.


                    Canada, Asia and Europe all have issues with their healthcare systems, but they're still orders of magnitude better than what we have here. We go on and on and on about how we're the best country in the world but... my god are we behind.
                    Thing is, even if we were to do those things, we have a whole generation of medicals trained and told this system is acceptable. They are taught to think of what the accountants, insurance, money grubbers expect. They are not trained to think of what is best for the patient without factoring in non-medical influences. We would need to retrain and revamp the programs to undo the teaching that is all about surviving the demands of pushing people thru, keeping numbers up, what the particular insurance will allow, how best to manipulate the system to attempt to get appropriate care with the caveat that if you can't get it, then you have to accept it and move on.

                    Today's challenge- it looks as though things are stabilized (Yay, the man has 9 lives). Rehab is the next step. No one can say when or if they will be doing this. No one has talked about how that would work, what we need to do to prepare. He doesn't get to chose. They send him where there is a bed.

                    Scarier- if he doesn't make progress he can't stay in Rehab. Depending on the situation they may say he will go to Long term care. He lives in a house with 2 businesses in the building. He doesn't qualify for assistance to pay for that. Which means if this transpires, they may have to sell the building displacing the businesses and the person he lives with.

                    Probably jumping the gun a little but so far I have been a step ahead, every time, of what they are telling the family

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                      I'm sorry you have to deal with that, what an awful situation, and how lucky your family member to have you around to advocate for them. I don't have much to add as I won't pretend to know the actual delivery of healthcare better than you.

                      But I agree that our system is basically broken so badly that I don't know how to reasonably fix it. Like, sure we could do things. Single payer. Eliminate for-profit healthcare (somehow define that properly, whatever "properly" even means). Align processes nationally so your situation doesn't just get dropped.


                      Canada, Asia and Europe all have issues with their healthcare systems, but they're still orders of magnitude better than what we have here. We go on and on and on about how we're the best country in the world but... my god are we behind.
                      For sure. Whenever anyone in our family has the slightest inkling of a medical issue, our first calls are not to our doctors, hospitals, or even insurance companies. No, we immediately reach out to our friends who are doctors or even friends of friends who are doctors so they can get us seen right away and we consult with those personal contacts regularly throughout whatever process transpires. Without those insider contacts, I seriously do not think it’s possible to obtain adequate health care in this country.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                        Today's challenge- it looks as though things are stabilized (Yay, the man has 9 lives). Rehab is the next step. No one can say when or if they will be doing this. No one has talked about how that would work, what we need to do to prepare. He doesn't get to chose. They send him where there is a bed.

                        Scarier- if he doesn't make progress he can't stay in Rehab. Depending on the situation they may say he will go to Long term care. He lives in a house with 2 businesses in the building. He doesn't qualify for assistance to pay for that. Which means if this transpires, they may have to sell the building displacing the businesses and the person he lives with.

                        Probably jumping the gun a little but so far I have been a step ahead, every time, of what they are telling the family
                        This was the situation we faced with my mother a few years ago. Too wealthy for assistance but nowhere near wealthy enough to afford it. We ended up with her on home hospice for a few months. Which is great, but that wasn't remotely enough to the care needed. We managed to take care of her, between me working remotely a few times a week and some family friends who would sit with her while my dad was at work, but without that family and friend network for support, what were we supposed to do? Being a caretaker like that is a full time job, period. It is virtually impossible to work.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

                        Comment


                        • Slip and fell in work yesterday. Surgery this am for a fractured left hip.
                          A bad cause requires many words.

                          Comment


                          • Ouch! Good luck.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                            "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                            "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                              Slip and fell in work yesterday. Surgery this am for a fractured left hip.
                              F-ck. Good luck and feel better soon.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Ouch man! Best of luck and a quick healing time for you.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X