Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Just found out today Massachusetts passed a law in 2016 that you can't sue your employer for pain and suffering unless there's a 3rd party involved in your injury, like a contractor.
    I mean, that's fairly standard for worker's comp. It's the tradeoff for them covering all work-related injuries.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Talking with my lawyer regarding my slip and fall in work, he said they're paying your medical bills and you're getting a tax free work comp check every week. The only thing I could possibly get after all is said and done is a disability check.

Employers must have gotten every lobbyist in the state to hound the legislature.
    Workers compensation laws are actually a pretty good compromise for employees. Without them, injured employees would have to prove negligence on the part of the employer, a very difficult and awkward task, given the large disparity in power and the obvious problems related to continuing employment. Most, if not all, state WC statutes do not require the employee to prove any negligence, just that they were injured during the course of their employment. WC laws might only pay 2/3 of the previous wage, but they are not taxed, and the employer is on the hook for past and future medical treatments. In addition, attorney's fees are limited. In Wisconsin, the first state with a workers compensation law, atty's fees are limited to 20 percent, another effort to benefit the employee. It's a pretty fair deal for employees.

Now, do WC insurance companies try to f*ck the employee by claiming the injury either was not work-related or was only temporary? Absolutely, but that would be a problem pre-WC statutes anyway.
    Last edited by burd; 02-24-2024, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

What caused the slip and fall? You may be able to work in a 3d party there somehow.
    Hydraulic fluid. I worked in an automotive shop as a service writer and was walking out in the shop to look for a mechanic(he worked in the back). I didn't see him there so I started to head back to the office, another mechanic was coming the same way I had just walked to the back, and gentleman that I am took 1 step to the right to let him go by and went down like a ton of bricks landing directly on my hip. Hyd fluid is clear and I didn't notice any on the floor going out and I sure as hell didn't notice any on the way back.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied
    Talking with my lawyer regarding my slip and fall in work, he said they're paying your medical bills and you're getting a tax free work comp check every week. The only thing I could possibly get after all is said and done is a disability check.

Employers must have gotten every lobbyist in the state to hound the legislature.
    What caused the slip and fall? You may be able to work in a 3d party there somehow.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Wait what?

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Just found out today Massachusetts passed a law in 2016 that you can't sue your employer for pain and suffering unless there's a 3rd party involved in your injury, like a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

I guess I can understand this now. Was only in my splint and sling for 3 weeks and the range of motion for my elbow is completely out of whack. Gets a little better every day and started physical therapy to really push it (within the realm of my lifting restrictions), but if that all happened after just 3 weeks I can't imagine how bad it'd be after a longer time in a hard cast.
    Arthroscopic surgery has also changed the game as far as adhesions go. 40 years ago, I tore up a knee, and they opened it up for repairs. I went at PT hard, but I still had adhesions that limited my range of movement until I fell on ice and tore the adhesions loose. Hurt like hell for a while, but it saved my surgeon from having to do it surgically (which my sadist drill sergeant physical therapist threatened would happen if I didn't meet my ROM goals). Today that surgery would be arthroscopic.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    As it was explained when I busted my left wrist in 2018, there is a strong push to get away from hard casts whenever possible. You want to retain movement whenever possible to limit degradation. Allowing some movement also allows things to heal better in many cases. There are also the Quality of Life factors to consider (Ex: no more shower/bath problems).

Obviously casts aren't going away, but they are no longer required equipment for any and all broken bones.
    I guess I can understand this now. Was only in my splint and sling for 3 weeks and the range of motion for my elbow is completely out of whack. Gets a little better every day and started physical therapy to really push it (within the realm of my lifting restrictions), but if that all happened after just 3 weeks I can't imagine how bad it'd be after a longer time in a hard cast.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    I couldn’t decide between a few threads for this one.

https://www.threads.net/@thetnholler...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Leave a comment:

• jjuliajul11
    replied
    I don't trust almost any nutritionists in my city. I began to read a lot and learn on my own. I remember how a month ago I found a very interesting article on https://betterme.world/articles/1000-calorie-keto-diet/ . Now I often read similar articles and try out some diets that I find interesting and effective. I am satisfied now with my results and I hope it will continue to be so
    Last edited by jjuliajul11; 02-27-2024, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Cool. I've got walking pneumonia. Urgent care doc wasn't so sure because it's so mild.

walked back in after radiology "Wow, you called it haha"

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    I take one prescription med for my headaches. I can only get 9 at a time. I only take when I need them. Every time I order them, the price has never been more than $10. Last month it was $5.35. I had my PCP renew the prescription at my physical on Wednesday as I was out of refills.

Picked up the prescription today, it was just under $14. Huh? Then I looked at them and it wasn’t the manufacturer I usually get so I said I wanted the kind I always get. I thought maybe that’s why the difference in price was different. I get the brand I liked - $22!!!!! OMG. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s the start of the new year or something. I need to double check and make sure when I redid my benefits my healthcare still comes with the prescription program.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    So, I took my mom for a second appoint at a pretty well respected memory clinic yesterday. Her memory has been in decline quite a bit the past 10 months or so. Actually longer than that but it's been more noticeable. Official diagnosis from the doctor there was Alzheimers, which I thought was different than senile dementia which is what I thought she had but based on what they said, senile dementia is a kind of Alzheimers. Or something like that. She's in the early to mid stage.

Anyway, reason for the post today - the doctor said she was eligible to take part in a clinical trial as part of her treatment. It's totally non-invasive. It's a set of headphones and glasses that people in the trial have been asked to wear for one hour a day. Apparently it's been having some success. They're on the third round of the trial. He said they're expecting FDA approval in the next couple of years. I feel like I should get more information from them, though. Like some documentation about what the trial is all about, what they expect it to do...he did explain it, but I left there empty handed. I wanted to discuss it with my brothers before agreeing to anything. My mom, of course, doesn't remember the conversation at all so I'm worried she will forget to put it on. It will require me to stay with her for the first week or so till she gets used to doing it. There are no side effects - no meds or anything. I don't see much downside. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Has anyone here ever been part of a clinical trial for anything?
    Sorry to hear about you mom scarlet. Hopefully the trial helps.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

Hopes for fast healing. I assume the cast is over the elbow? That'll be fun getting it to bend 4-6 weeks from now (been there).

I ended up getting more severely injured playing no-check beer league than I ever did playing full check in high school. Sprained MCL, 5 stitches in my chin, separated shoulder, cracked ribs (twice). The Percocet for the ribs made me hallucinate at night so I just lived with the pain.
    Similar to me. I never made in the high school team - couldn’t even crack the JV squad. That said, worst I had growing up was a mostly torn ACL (the smallest bit of ACL didn’t tear, saving me the scary part), but that was a non-contact injury. Playing as an adult, no-contact leagues, I’ve had two separate torn labrum injuries in my left shoulder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X