Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

    A colonoscopy is a screening test that can also be curative. It is one of the most successful advances in medicine in terms of years saved of morbidity and mortality. You should have a **** solid reason not to get one when recommended by your primary care doc.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

    Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by geezer View Post
      You're probably right, he is 16 so I hate to dictate his choices. But man...
      16 is a good age to begin contact in a helmet sport. If he wants to, support him.

      Just make sure the coaches are teaching rugby tackles not flying body missile hits.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

        Originally posted by joecct View Post
        16 is a good age to begin contact in a helmet sport. If he wants to, support him.

        Just make sure the coaches are teaching rugby tackles not flying body missile hits.
        This. Don't try to make the highlight reel.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

          I'm not giving my kids, if I have any, the choice to play football. It's like handing him a pack of cigarettes in high school and saying, "Your choice."

          No, this is a case where you need to be the adult and say no. For the health of your children.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I'm not giving my kids, if I have any, the choice to play football. It's like handing him a pack of cigarettes in high school and saying, "Your choice."

            No, this is a case where you need to be the adult and say no. For the health of your children.
            CTE also happens to hockey players. You gonna stop them from playing that, too?

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

              Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              CTE also happens to hockey players. You gonna stop them from playing that, too?
              Pretty sure soccer is on that list.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                CTE also happens to hockey players. You gonna stop them from playing that, too?
                Probably.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                  Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  CTE also happens to hockey players. You gonna stop them from playing that, too?
                  Depends on the percentage risk. If CTE happens to 1 hockey player in a thousand then that's a debate. For football that number seems to be something like 1 in 2.

                  It's on its way out like boxing and good riddance. I'm sure if we still had gladiatorial games people would be like "oh, so the snowflakes don't want to get impaled? Why, when I was your age..."
                  Last edited by Kepler; 09-22-2017, 11:29 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Depends on the percentage risk. If CTE happens to 1 hockey player in a thousand then that's a debate. For football that number seems to be something like 1 in 2.

                    It's on its way out like boxing and good riddance. I'm sure if we still had gladiatorial games people would be like "oh, so the snowflakes don't want to get impaled? Why, when I was your age..."
                    Exactly. But 1 in 2 seems low.

                    Football has a half life and I'm guessing the NFL as we know it dies before Super Bowl 75. The more we learn about the science of concussions, the more insane playing football is going to be. Some day, playing football is going to be viewed the exact same way we view cigarettes today.

                    Seriously, the average football player lives something like 30 fewer years than the average basketball player. That's just not a product long for this world.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                      Again, I mention soccer. Headers is the key in this sport:

                      http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/health...udy/index.html
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                        And when we find that 90+% of soccer players have CTE, I'll cross that bridge when we get there. Unfortunately for you trying to score cheap points, we aren't there yet.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                          Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          And when we find that 90+% of soccer players have CTE, I'll cross that bridge when we get there. Unfortunately for you trying to score cheap points, we aren't there yet.
                          For soccer, it's still fairly new. And I know there is NO comparison to the NFL/NHL in percentages. It's dam near impossible to reach those numbers. But it is a factor. Where is the line?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                            The line to me would be young kids and headers. If 16 is the magic age then maybe its ok after that??
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                            Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

                              They don't allow the goalies to punt or heading in youth soccer here until 11. There was recently a study on football that showed starting after 12 decreased the risk some as well.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                They don't allow the goalies to punt or heading in youth soccer here until 11. There was recently a study on football that showed starting after 12 decreased the risk some as well.
                                Same here. Now if they could get kids to kick with the left foot.....
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

                                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X