Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Perhaps Kep is right, and we're really not far off from viable and easily reversible male birth control.
    Can't wait for the usual suspects to tell us why this makes Baby Jesus cry.

But all we need is a breakthrough somewhere. Even if the Papists and Pencian Perverts make this illegal to even whisper about in Gilead, one country making it available will make it more popular than cocaine. Being able to load or unload your pistol at will and in complete privacy is essentially the dream that men came down from the trees for. Well, that and Korean BBQ.

It's going to lead to some very unpleasant domestic conversations. "I'm going to be a Mom!" "You're going back to Mom."
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2019, 03:32 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Perhaps Kep is right, and we're really not far off from viable and easily reversible male birth control.
      Tumbtack.

Step on it and you go limp.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Tumbtack.

Step on it and you go limp.
        That and an aspirin constitutes the entirety of conservative reproductive science.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So I left work early to go to the ER for an abscess on my left calf that had started bleeding. Definitely infected. Trying to drain this thing does not seem to be going well.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            So I left work early to go to the ER for an abscess on my left calf that had started bleeding. Definitely infected. Trying to drain this thing does not seem to be going well.
            Don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper videos then.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I do wonder - what is the impact of these hormonal oral contraceptives, not just on fertility in the short-to-medium term, but also on the entire endocrine system and hormone levels in the long-term (10+ years)?

I realize, as a dude in 2019, this is rich since women have been taking them for decades, but it's definitely a legit question. Have there been long-term studies on women (even though I know we don't care about them here in America /sarc)?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I do wonder - what is the impact of these hormonal oral contraceptives, not just on fertility in the short-to-medium term, but also on the entire endocrine system and hormone levels in the long-term (10+ years)?

I realize, as a dude in 2019, this is rich since women have been taking them for decades, but it's definitely a legit question. Have there been long-term studies on women (even though I know we don't care about them here in America /sarc)?
                For women, there is an increased risk for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, and Liver Cancer by taking oral contraceptives. There is also a risk for clot formation (DVT- deep vein thrombosis or Pulmonary Embolism). In addition, weight gain, increased blood pressure, stroke, MI. Again, the risks are low (and depend on a few variables), but they are present. It can increase the risk of pancreatitis in people taking it who have an elevated triglyceride level. There is also a risk of development of ulcerative colitis and crohns.

(Info from MayoClinc and Up To Date).
                Last edited by bostonewe; 03-30-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I think there's a lot to be said for the genetic competent to cancer, just like other conditions. Yes, things like smoking, alcohol/drugs, and diet (especially sugar) play a role in accelerating or triggering the genes, but ultimately, it comes down to the raw odds.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper videos then.
                    I was actually going to start searching for those tomorrow for some techniques.

The worst part is the inconsistency of the pain. When I stand up or walk around it can be anywhere from a 0-6

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      For women, there is an increased risk for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, and Liver Cancer by taking oral contraceptives. There is also a risk for clot formation (DVT- deep vein thrombosis or Pulmonary Embolism). In addition, weight gain, increased blood pressure, stroke, MI. Again, the risks are low (and depend on a few variables), but they are present. It can increase the risk of pancreatitis in people taking it who have an elevated triglyceride level. There is also a risk of development of ulcerative colitis and crohns.

(Info from MayoClinc and Up To Date).
                      Interesting. This is kind of a bugaboo for me. I have primary relative with Ovarian CA and was put on OCs to prevent. The Nurses Study has shown OCs were PREVENTATIVE when taken LT for Ovarian CA. Risk of Ovarian CA went down by a huge margin (something like 80% if you were on OCs for >15 months). The findings for risks for Breast CA are all over the place- yes, no, maybe, it this then that... They find risk is related to increasing age and the risk reverts to baseline a short time after D/C. (or at least that was the latest I saw.)

The risks listed are compiled from all yrs and include the pills where level of hormone was massive. The current pills have levels exponentially less since the start of availability. They have to list things but they are not blanket risks. I hate stuff that lumps everything together and doesn't qualify what is connected to what. (FDA label requires it and medico-legally they do it every time). Lumping all the info together is the equivalent to saying a person in a white hoodie killed someone so everyone wearing a hoodie of any sort is dangerous. It is really a pain when trying to help people make decisions re what is the best choice for them. Things like TRG, DVT, CVA, MI are both dose related and related to particular types of estrogen or progesterone. People with inflammatory disease have both excellent results (estrogen is an antiinflammatory) and nasty results. Wt gain is very much related to type and amt of progesterone. There are certain people who should never have them (the 2 ppd smoker in late 30s that my colleague decided to give OCs to and got a PE- stupid and avoidable) and some people where the risk of pregnancy could be life threatening and OCs provide minimal risk.

Overall women should only ovulate about 25 times in life- natural is get pregnant (9 months), nurse 9 months or so before becoming fertile- get pregnant again- rinse lather repeat. If no BC and no pregnancy, can ovulate up to 450 times. They postulate this may be the cause of increases in risk of reproductive CAs. No win situation!

Haven't seen as much about the male one yet. Any time you mess with nature there are risks. The female one is theoretically correcting for our subverting nature in the first place so although you correct for particular hormones there are also known benefits (decreased anemia, decreased risk of Ovarian CA, decreased scarring from endometriosis....). I would be curious to see if there are unintentional benefits to suppressing the testosterone loop- like decreased lipids for one. Excess Testosterone activity in pills increase the risk.

Sorry- kind of a geek about OCs. I was the go to person in my practice when a person needed to have them managed or was having SE.
                      Last edited by leswp1; 03-30-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Jeebus man. Take care of yourself.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There's a cruise ship in St. Lucia that's quarantined because of a measles case. Um, that's NOT good.

From the story
                          St. Lucia Coast Guard confirmed the vessel bears the same name as one owned and operated by the Church of Scientology.
                          From Wikipedia:
                          The Freewinds is the exclusive training center for OT VIII (Operating Thetan Level 8), the highest level of Scientology and the last of the published OT levels. Members of the Church of Scientology who have reached the highest levels must receive their training on the Freewinds, as the Church does not deliver this service anywhere else.[14]

Besides the OT VIII training, the Freewinds is used for delivering lower-level classes, auditing services, and recreational activities for Scientologists. The ship hosts a "Freewinds Maiden Voyage" each June as an "OT Summit" for high-ranking Scientologists at which Scientology accomplishments and plans for the future are publicly celebrated.[15]

A significant portion of the ship is given over to its use as a religious retreat for Scientologists. As well as various course rooms and a library of L. Ron Hubbard books, the Freewinds has areas given over to the Religious Technology Center, Sea Org and International Association of Scientologists. As is common practice in other Scientology organizations, the ship also has an "LRH Office" symbolically set aside for L. Ron Hubbard's use (Hubbard died in January 1986, approximately nine months before the vessel was purchased).

Valeska Paris, a former Scientology staff member on the ship, has alleged that she was held on the ship against her will and forced into manual labor for 12 years.[16]
                          Never mind. F-ck 'em.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            There's a cruise ship in St. Lucia that's quarantined because of a measles case. Um, that's NOT good.

From the story

From Wikipedia:

Never mind. F-ck 'em.
                            The Church of Scientology's undoing will be a lack of belief in real science...

Kind of poetic, really.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

From the story

From Wikipedia:

Never mind. F-ck 'em.
                              I see your cruise ship and raise you a lady who went to see Avengers: Endgame WHILE DIAGNOSED AND UNDER QUARANTINE.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/hea...&ICID=ref_fark
                              Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-01-2019, 06:30 PM. Reason: fixed link
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                                I see your cruise ship and raise you a lady who went to see Avengers: Endgame WHILE DIAGNOSED AND UNDER QUARANTINE.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/hea...&ICID=ref_fark

Infecting Scientologists =/= Infecting the General Public

One deserves an award....
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X