X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.17 - Section 4 of Amendment 25

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I think you underestimate the impact the election of Obama had on some people.
    I still find it hard to believe he was even elected. Sometimes I think his election is so bizarre I'm surprised the derps never really alleged election fraud, because he even won FRIKKIN' INDIANA once!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      I still find it hard to believe he was even elected. Sometimes I think his election is so bizarre I'm surprised the derps never really alleged election fraud, because he even won FRIKKIN' INDIANA once!
      Recall that in 2016, many counties that voted for Obama twice, flipped to Dump. Can we honestly say that the flippers in those counties are racist? Or that the racists suddenly woke up to the Trump dog whistle and turned out in droves, after being disappointed with Milquetoast Mitt and Fossil McCain?

I don't think this election was all about racism, even though it exists in far greater proportion than we'd care to acknowledge. I think this election is about a boring but competent Democratic candidate, who had bad advisers and ran a terrible campaign strategy that failed to inspire enough of Obama's voters to show up in key states.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Recall that in 2016, many counties that voted for Obama twice, flipped to Dump. Can we honestly say that the flippers in those counties are racist? Or that the racists suddenly woke up to the Trump dog whistle and turned out in droves, after being disappointed with Milquetoast Mitt and Fossil McCain?

I don't think this election was all about racism, even though it exists in far greater proportion than we'd care to acknowledge. I think this election is about a boring but competent Democratic candidate, who had bad advisers and ran a terrible campaign strategy that failed to inspire enough of Obama's voters to show up in key states.
        No. You heard over and over and over again from the centrists that they were the same. No difference. Then you had the Democrats with their purity test. Then you had the misogyny. Those 3 together took her down.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think you underestimate the impact the election of Obama had on some people.
          This.

I figured it was a tough loss but I'm one of those coastal elites so it's only now that it's clear that heads must have freaking exploded back in 2008.

It's astounding and appalling how broad and deep the racism is in this country. I know there's been a huge amount of economic disruption, and it's a legitimate and truly serious issue, but for people to go so strongly and completely to racism in their response to it goes to an absolutely gigantic vein of racism in our society.
          I went home with a waitress the way I always do
          How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            That's exactly how these groups work. Mussolini's blackshirts justified their attacks as a response to Communists and Anarchists, and of course as protecting the pure womenfolk of Italy against the dangerous predations of minorities or libertines. Protecting virginity is always big with paramilitary rightwingers. Their sexual dysfunction and religious fanaticism color everything they see.

The far right is basically just the lingering adolescent cry that Prom went badly.
            I forgot the Commie part- all those violent lefties are also COmmies come out of the closet. The irony of supporting a prez who wants to do the nasty with Putin is not escaping me but it does escape them.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Sadly, we didn't get to hear the swearing on the NPR interview this morning. Bummer.

What I don't get about the white house group- who in the world is really controlling the message??? Not including dump- who is off on his own. If I were the Chief of Staff, I'd kick Bannon out just for doing what he did.
            It isn't about who is in control. It is about who gets more attention. Like a bunch of rich kids vying for Daddy's attention when he comes home. Daddy being the media- doesn't matter what kind of attention. Only that they get more than the next guy

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            And you were voting for security right...good thing we didnt have Hillary as President we might actually feel a bit secure. She certainly wouldnt have given away classified information hand to hand though I a sure you and your friends would have pretended she did even after she was cleared of it.
            Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            No matter how many times you repeat this it still won't be true.

I don't want to downplay the seriousness of things we've seen on display of late, but let's not overplay them either. The conditions that existed in 1930's Germany do not exist in the United States. Particularly large scale dissatisfaction from losing a major war with more than 3 million war time deaths and 4.5 million wounded, the perception of a stab in the back reason for losing the war, the hatred of peace terms enforced by an enemy, a total economic collapse, nor constitutional provisions that aided dictatorship and widespread, virulent antisemitism.

We have issues and need to remain on alert but to overreact would be an unhealthy distraction and plays right into Trump's handler's hands.
            Considering the ability to expertly manipulate the media do you think that matters? There are certain sites that will tell you the same conditions exist now.

I see it first hand here in Anchorage, irrational hatred towards any mention of him. People will blame anything and everything on him.
            This reminds me of the knee jerk reaction my Dad has to any mention of a Kennedy. I have never been able to get him to articulate anything other than he is bad

Maybe, but the parallels are still in place. It's as if history is repeating itself. Thugs are trying to intimidate people to think like they do, and they are the minority. And their point is somehow they are superior just because of who they are.

The fact they feel emboldened to come out BECAUSE of this president is disturbing. And disturbing that dump barely blames them for murdering someone.

Apparently, dump isn't going to stop them, so we are forced to.
            I admit to feeling intimidated

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              No. You heard over and over and over again from the centrists that they were the same. No difference. Then you had the Democrats with their purity test. Then you had the misogyny. Those 3 together took her down.
              You need to add in what passes for journalism now. tRump ran a reality show for a campaign and the media companies couldn't give him enough free air time - just as long as we all tuned in in slack jawed awe at the spectacle - and those "journalists" sure weren't going to call him on any of his crass idiocy because see us all tuning in to watch.

Comment

Maybe, but the parallels are still in place. It's as if history is repeating itself. Thugs are trying to intimidate people to think like they do, and they are the minority. And their point is somehow they are superior just because of who they are.

The fact they feel emboldened to come out BECAUSE of this president is disturbing. And disturbing that dump barely blames them for murdering someone.

Apparently, dump isn't going to stop them, so we are forced to.
                This is why I think one of the more underappreciated stories this week is the CEOs jumping ship. If we're going with the 1930s parallel, that didn't happen back then, the corporations rode their horse right up to and past when it turned into a fire breathing dragon. Their economy being in utter disarray and ours being the strongest in the world have more than a little to do with that. They had nothing to lose, we do. Of course, 4, or god forbid 8, years of tRump might solve that "problem."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  And then when the book burning starts? Because that's what comes after the monuments...
                  no it doesn't you stupid ****. I don't have a problem reading about Adolph Hitler, I do have a problem putting up a statue to memorialize him.

Comment

Finally, do people really not see the difference between monuments to people who fought FOR this country and monuments to people who fought AGAINST this country? Really? That can't be that hard.

We're talking, literally, about monuments to traitors who fought against the United States and killed hundreds of thousands of Americans. In 50 years are we going to be putting up monuments to the 9/11 hi jackers? Because the only difference there is that they weren't also traitors and killed far fewer Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                      Finally, do people really not see the difference between monuments to people who fought FOR this country and monuments to people who fought AGAINST this country? Really? That can't be that hard.

We're talking, literally, about monuments to traitors who fought against the United States and killed hundreds of thousands of Americans. In 50 years are we going to be putting up monuments to the 9/11 hi jackers? Because the only difference there is that they weren't also traitors and killed far fewer Americans.
                      One man's traitor is another man's "free-dumb fighter". "The South shall rise again!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I'm going to let the neo-Nazi apologists (Drew, Sic, Flag, Brent, etc) handle this one..
                        Do not EVER lump me in with neo-Nazi apologists. I will defend their right to peaceful free speech, and that's it. Period. I am quite bothered by your label, and take great offense.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So, why has Benadict Arnold been slighted? no statues for him?

Comment

Reading about the Pershing story on Snopes is all-the-more funny considering Pershing did the exact opposite:

We found no references to this alleged incident in Pershing biographies, however, nor does it match the way Pershing is generally recorded as having dealt with the Moros in 1911. When they refused to obey Pershing’s order banning firearms by surrendering their weapons, his response was to draft a letter to the Moros expressing sorrow that his soldiers had to resort to killing them to enforce the order:

"I write you this letter because I am sorry to know that you and your people refuse to do what the government has ordered. You do not give up your arms. Soldiers were sent to Taglibi so that you could come into camp and turn in your guns. When the soldiers went to camp a Taglibi, your Moros fired into camp and tried to kill the soldiers. Then the soldiers had to shoot all Moros who fired upon them. When the soldiers marched through the country, the Moros again shot at them, so the soldiers had to kill several others. I am sorry the soldiers had to kill any Moros. All Moros are the same to me as my children and no father wants to kill his own children …"
                            Pershing’s strategy was to surround the Moros and wait them out while attempting to induce them to surrender, a strategy that worked effectively: the Bud Dajo campaign ended with only twelve Moro casualties. But in his report Pershing seemed keenly aware that the best approach was not to take any action that would encourage religious fanaticism:

"There was never a moment during this investment of Bud Dajo when the Moros, including women, on top of the mountain, would not have fought to the death had they been given the opportunity. They had gone there to make a last stand on this, their sacred mountain, and they were determined to die fighting … It was only by the greatest effort that their solid determination to fight it out could be broken. The fact is that they were completely surprised at the prompt and decisive action of the troops in cutting off supplies and preventing escape, and they were chagrined and disappointed in that they were not encouraged to die the death of Mohammedan fanatics."
                            Of course, Pershing was a real soldier who actually experienced warfare and understood its true costs. He wasn't some military-school wannabe-toughguy. "I always wanted a purple heart."

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

All those statues of Lenin and Marx that the Russians and their satellite states took down after the Soviet era really should've been left up, just to remind people not to repeat their history.

The marble swastika on top of the Zeppelintribüne? The Allies shouldn't have blown that up - the German people needed it to serve as a reminder not to support Nazism again.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                The marble swastika on top of the Zeppelintribüne? The Allies shouldn't have blown that up - the German people needed it to serve as a reminder not to support Nazism again.
                                They should have moved it to the Statue of Liberty, it seems that some needed the reminder...

Comment

Working...
                                X