• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Re: POTUS 45.17 - Section 4 of Amendment 25

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politi...nts/index.html

Trump nominee Sam Clovis: 'As far as we know' homosexuality's a choice, 'logical' LGBT protections could lead to legalization of pedophilia

I know this isn't new news, but he still sounds like a real ****stain.
    I can't wait until someone tells him that the vast majority of pedophiles are white heterosexual men.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Where's her bullet necklace?
    Slave tooth necklace. It's a teachable moment!

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Where's her bullet necklace?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

So I saw this and thought, "wow, that must be an insanely misleading click bait headline." But then I read it.

I can't even.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No such thing. It would never work. Sadly the education system in America is so flawed they continue to incorrectly call us a Democracy. We're not. Never have been. The founders knew better.
    No class I was ever in called us a "democracy." We're a representative republic, which is a democratic form of government.

A full democracy with the Constitution and supermajority requirements to change the Constitution is the next obvious evolution of the America experiment, but we can only get there when we stop treating the rich as royalty and the poor as farm animals.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Trump nominee Sam Clovis: 'As far as we know' homosexuality's a choice, 'logical' LGBT protections could lead to legalization of pedophilia

He looks like the Cowardly Lion.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Fewer.
    Okay, Stannis.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I guess I am just racist against people with less than 10 teeth and chromosomes combined
    Fewer.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Why you throw us UND fans in with those people is beyond me.
    We only have to have a look at SiouxSports for proof.

If the shirt fits...

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I'm not a major historian, so if there's a good, pure democratic system in the past, I don't know it.
    No such thing. It would never work. Sadly the education system in America is so flawed they continue to incorrectly call us a Democracy. We're not. Never have been. The founders knew better.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I guess I am just racist against people with less than 10 teeth and chromosomes combined
    Why you throw us UND fans in with those people is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Why does Handy hate 'Murica?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I'm not a major historian, so if there's a good, pure democratic system in the past, I don't know it.
    There is no pure direct democracy in recorded history that I know. The ancient "althing" might be the closest. Some of the Greek city states dabbled but with atrocious limits on participation (women and slaves, yo).

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Kind of.

On the one hand, mob rule is bad. On the other hand, if decisions involving life and liberty and, far more importantly to the rich, property, were up to the masses then the 1% would be less gung ho to drive those masses deliberately into ignorance and the anesthesia of sports and television. If the Bush and Clinton (and Koch and Soros) family fortunes were at the whim of the majority, we'd see a lot more education spending, particularly history, political science, economics, and liberal arts.

By definition, the mob isn't stupid, it's average. Average voters have enough on the ball not to have wandered into traffic by the time they're 18. They aren't morons, they just ignorant as f-ck, and that ignorance is in large part a deliberate policy choice by elites because it makes the mob easier to control and far easier to sell to. The 1% is free to do that because the mob has very little power to really hurt them. Technology has rendered the elite impervious to mob violence, while our political system has removed their political power on fundamental matters. This is good because we're not hanging atheists in the public square, but the downside is white collar criminals who ruin millions of lives have zero accountability, and as soon as any political force becomes strong enough to challenge plutocracy it is easily co-opted by simply extending the privilege to its members (compare political liberalism today to, say, 1929).

The plutes on the right and we their more fun at parties intellectual brethren on the left are armchair generals. Full and direct democracy would stick us in the trenches to live or die based on the collective decisions of the Great Unwashed. Now, that sounds awful to me personally and I'll fight it because hey I worked hard for my spa tub and sex loft. But it also sounds American as hell.
    As much as that sounds good, I'm not sure if we would really see more spending on education. Even with "free speech"- we will never have equal speech- and given that throughout history, people in power have somehow convinced those not in power to support them- my gut tells me that we would be more of a lord-serf stage right now vs. the opposite direction. I'm sure they would have convinced people that land owning is the only real reason you should be allowed to vote, and this country would have just been run by land owners- most of which are wealthy. And it would be easy to put land ownership barriers to only let their own kind in.

I just don't see any real difference, other than mob rule against rights.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X