X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Re: POTUS 45.17 - Section 4 of Amendment 25

And where are we going to get the money for that?

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Yes.
    Sign me up as well.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    3 words for you - Publicly funded elections

No matter how good and well intentioned you are, it's almost a constant cycle of fundraising to hold onto your seat. That just naturally leads to gravitating towards whoever has the money - which for the most part are the lobbyists. For some it leads to outright corruption, but even for the best of them it leads to a slow corrosion of principles. Take all the money, corruption, fundraising, influence out of it by publicly funding elections. Everyone has the same amount, let's see what you do with it, like a salary cap in sports.

And it goes without saying that Citizens United needs to overturned as part of this change.
    Yes. In addition, strict limits on all political spending for all purposes. Spending is not protected speech, you f-cking transparent criminals.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    If you oppose Trump you're opposing God.
    Side note, I know a guy who sold pallets of duck tape to Jim Bakker for Bakkar to resell at a ludacris markup to his church followers as Bakkar approved Doomsday Duct Tape.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

And by "God", she means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

Leave a comment:

• E.J. Smith
    replied

3 words for you - Publicly funded elections

No matter how good and well intentioned you are, it's almost a constant cycle of fundraising to hold onto your seat. That just naturally leads to gravitating towards whoever has the money - which for the most part are the lobbyists. For some it leads to outright corruption, but even for the best of them it leads to a slow corrosion of principles. Take all the money, corruption, fundraising, influence out of it by publicly funding elections. Everyone has the same amount, let's see what you do with it, like a salary cap in sports.

And it goes without saying that Citizens United needs to overturned as part of this change.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Of course, we'll just ignore the fact that Trump has never been religious...

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I had an Uber driver in CT tell me that he thinks we should go back to the days when representatives and Senators served one term, then went back home and returned to private enterprise. No more consecutive terms.
    This is a TERRIBLE idea. The information and expertise deficit that legislators face against lobbyists is already enormous. This would make it even worse. It would also eliminate any ability of leadership to impose discipline on insane / stupid / malevolent Members, which would lead to an entire legislature of Steve Kings and Joe Bartons. Money would be the only factor deciding who won elections since the public referendum on an incumbent's votes -- the keystone of democracy -- would be cut off. Members elected by corporate lobbies would simply do their bidding and then retire to a highly lucrative reward for being bribed.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I do know at one time Senators were appointed, not elected.
    Here it is:

Before the adoption of the Seventeenth Amendment in 1913, Senators were elected by the individual state legislatures. Problems with repeated vacant seats due to the inability of a legislature to elect senators, intrastate political struggles, and even bribery and intimidation had gradually led to a growing movement to amend the Constitution to allow for the direct election of senators.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I had an Uber driver in CT tell me that he thinks we should go back to the days when representatives and Senators served one term, then went back home and returned to private enterprise. No more consecutive terms.

Even in the 19th century, did that ever really happen? Or is it just some fantasy of "conservative libertarians"?
    I do know at one time Senators were appointed, not elected.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

He did it six different times that the cameras caught.
    Meh. I'll bet I did the same thing.

ETA: This just all comes off like putting dijon on a nothingburger.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Do you have a lifetime supply of Bad Idea Jeans?
    I like Kepler's idea more. What else do we have for ideas? I don't think the one term idea is very good.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Doesn't everyone who goes to DC? I really think having Congress move around the country would help a lot, despite the logistical challenges.
    Do you have a lifetime supply of Bad Idea Jeans?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Still, It would be interesting to ask for some real specifics about draining the swamp. Not some nebulous blame game over someone being lazy.

Even in the 19th century, did that ever really happen? Or is it just some fantasy of "conservative libertarians"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X