Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 LLWS: There's No Crying In Baseball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 LLWS: There's No Crying In Baseball!

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    NH, still no hardware
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      I thought it used to be, too. Maybe they changed it in case a coach legitimately forgets?

Also, the Virginia junior softball team was disqualified from the championship game last weekend because of a photo on Snapchat of half the team giving a finger to the host Kirkland, WA. Apparently the big strife from that game was Kirkland was stealing signs, which is now illegal. Not sure how an umpire can prove it but Kirkland did have a player and coach ejected.
      The ump said "Hey, I'll just eject you guys but have them disqualified if I can get some sweet deals at Costco. I mean, even more sweet than usual. Seriously. Pallets of Cheez-Its for five bucks sweet."
      Last edited by state of hockey; 08-12-2017, 02:20 AM.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

North Carolina (SE) has opened with a perfect game, and a no hitter. First US team to do such a thing. And it was against California today for the no-no.

Comment

Quick question in case anyone knows the answer:

When I was involved in LL, the All-Star teams could not start practicing or even be named until about 10 days before the District Tournament began. Watching the Championship game on TV yesterday, the announcer showed the Japan practice schedule (6:00 am until sunset every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday). He said they do this for eleven months.

Did the rules change on practice for the all-star teams or are they different for the International teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Double Eagle View Post
            Quick question in case anyone knows the answer:

When I was involved in LL, the All-Star teams could not start practicing or even be named until about 10 days before the District Tournament began. Watching the Championship game on TV yesterday, the announcer showed the Japan practice schedule (6:00 am until sunset every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday). He said they do this for eleven months.

Did the rules change on practice for the all-star teams or are they different for the International teams?
            At the 12 year old level, the team has been together for at least a year, sometimes 2-3... The US teams play as a full time travel team, only showing up for the minimum required LL events such as regular season games. They will have practice/coaching year round.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              At the 12 year old level, the team has been together for at least a year, sometimes 2-3... The US teams play as a full time travel team, only showing up for the minimum required LL events such as regular season games. They will have practice/coaching year round.
              When I was 12 and our team fell 1 game short of the LLWS we hadn't been together more than a few weeks before our first game. When did it become year round?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                When I was 12 and our team fell 1 game short of the LLWS we hadn't been together more than a few weeks before our first game. When did it become year round?
                My local town league was the same as well. Granted I come from a small town in upstate New York so it might be different other places.

We never got anywhere near a district title more or less the LLWS.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  That's been the case for at least the last 15 years and probably longer. I've called games for both of the recent Chicago area teams (Jackie Robinson LL from 2016 and Lemont LL in 2006) as full time travel teams. This occurred on a regular basis

I'm sure there are teams that do it legit, but those are in the tiny minority once you get past the regional level. Since around 2000 you've seen an explosion in "travel ball" and significant drop in in-house players. Everyone wants to feel like they are "elite" because they play travel ball. Because of that, "in-house" players that remain are the bottom of the barrel. Sure you get talented kids who play only in-house for financial reason or whatever, but that's the oddity.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    My local town league was the same as well. Granted I come from a small town in upstate New York so it might be different other places.

We never got anywhere near a district title more or less the LLWS.
                    Horseheads is upstate? Yeesh. I guess Potsdam is the formerly Frozen tundra (now mud)?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Horseheads is upstate?
                      Everything north of the Tappen Zee is upstate.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My league did the regular way of picking all stars after the season. We also lost in the third round and since it was single elimination at the time, that was it.

Other teams, like the Sioux Falls team that made it in their first year, I'm sure are just a travel team that made a league to try to get to Williamsport. One of the regional rounds was highlighting a team saying if you didn't make the all stars when you were 10, you had a cool option of playing in a league to get more games and try the next season. It didn't make sense why they highlighted that because that's exactly what LL is.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                        X