X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.13 - CNN is still Fake News

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I can't believe ISIS hasn't blown up a wedding reception or graduation at a bowling alley in Peoria by now. It would have that effect.

They do have their weddings at bowling alleys in Peoria, don't they. I mean, Minnesota isn't the only place that does that?
    11 days after 9-11 I was at the Notre Dame/Michigan State football game. My cousin the sportswriter was covering it for his paper and covering all of the "sports as healer" junk that was so overwhelmingly omnipresent in the days following the attacks in addition to covering the game and it's Big Ten interests to his paper's readers. He wondered then that if Al Qaeda had really known America they would have piloted planes into full baseball or NCAA football and NFL stadiums instead. National audiences are tuned into just about any Ohio State, or Alabama or Notre Dame game, and similar sized audiences see most any of the regionally televised NFL games. The impact in terms of lives lost would have been similar or greater, and the psychological impact with TV audiences in every corner of the country seeing it live as it happened would have made the event so much more horrifying. I suppose it's better that they didn't know America and Americans any better than they did.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

July 4th under a Trump cloud: This, too, shall pass.

I just hope Bykofsky is correct when he writes:
      Some say he’s a threat to democracy itself. That also was said about Richard Nixon and Franklin D. Roosevelt. Abraham Lincoln was accused of destroying the nation. The United States survived all that, and we will survive this too.
      I've said it too plenty of times. We've had more awful presidents than great ones, and more mediocre and less than mediocre ones than good ones. trump just embodies all of the traits of the worst 3 or 4 we've ever been saddled with and possesses none of the traits even some of our failed presidents who were OK guys were blessed with.

Happy Independence Day everyone! Try not to blow off any fingers if you're lighting any fireworks left over from last year. The fuses sometimes go quicker on the old ones!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        I've said it too plenty of times. We've had more awful presidents than great ones, and more mediocre and less than mediocre ones than good ones. trump just embodies all of the traits of the worst 3 or 4 we've ever been saddled with and possesses none of the traits even some of our failed presidents who were OK guys were blessed with.
        Trump is the worst of all time, which means Dubya loses his title of worst in a century after only 8 years. Good for him!

Trump is demonstrably different from the terrible presidents we have survived* because he's so seriously mentally ill. Nixon was a paranoid. Lincoln had a vexing anxiety disorder (although it must be a crippling experience for an intelligent person to be President, and Lincoln is 3rd to Jefferson and Madison in intellect among presidents; Wilson, Clinton, and Adams Sr. can fight it out for 4th). But Trump is the first mentally ill president who is also cruel. It's like giving Caligula or Tiberius nukes and the NSA.

* And we did have a Civil War once, so it hasn't all been beer and skittles.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Does Trump display more despotic tendencies than Nixon did? Given his attacks on the media and efforts to avoid answering tough questions and his open admiration for Putin, Erdoğan and Duterte, you can make a case for it. Some similarities between Nixon and Trump:

Nixon: Fake “secret plan to end the war in Vietnam.”
          Trump: Multiple references to a new plan to fight ISIS. http://www.vo*****/world/2017/7/3/15...isis-terrorism

Nixon: When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal
          Trump: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."

Nixon: Extensive secret enemies lists (which became public) that included dozens of journalists and many actors and actresses (http://www.enemieslist.info/list1.php)
          Trump: The media is the enemy of the American people.

Nixon: “I am not a crook.”
          Trump: Stiffed hundreds of contractors. Trump University con job. Labeled Hillary “crooked.”

Nixon: Forced out of office, by honest journalists, judiciary with a backbone, and Republicans who put country ahead of party.
          Trump: Stay tuned.

In the interest of fairness, Nixon must be turning over in his grave over what Trump has done to the EPA, which Nixon's administration created, starting with appointing a director who for years has the hands of the oil and gas industries in his pants.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I can't believe ISIS hasn't blown up a wedding reception or graduation at a bowling alley in Peoria by now. It would have that effect.

They do have their weddings at bowling alleys in Peoria, don't they. I mean, Minnesota isn't the only place that does that?
            Well not of all of us can get married in Beet Fields under the "One Tree in Grand Forks"!

(we wont get into where or WHAT people in Sconnieland get married)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Well not of all of us can get married in Beet Fields under the "One Tree in Grand Forks"!

(we wont get into where or WHAT people in Sconnieland get married)
              On a deer stand? Nah, probably wouldn't hold the bride )

Comment

11 days after 9-11 I was at the Notre Dame/Michigan State football game. My cousin the sportswriter was covering it for his paper and covering all of the "sports as healer" junk that was so overwhelmingly omnipresent in the days following the attacks in addition to covering the game and it's Big Ten interests to his paper's readers. He wondered then that if Al Qaeda had really known America they would have piloted planes into full baseball or NCAA football and NFL stadiums instead. National audiences are tuned into just about any Ohio State, or Alabama or Notre Dame game, and similar sized audiences see most any of the regionally televised NFL games. The impact in terms of lives lost would have been similar or greater, and the psychological impact with TV audiences in every corner of the country seeing it live as it happened would have made the event so much more horrifying. I suppose it's better that they didn't know America and Americans any better than they did.
                Those attacks were specifically targeted: the Pentagon (get your soldiers off my desert), the World Trade Center (and your corporations), and the White House / Capitol Building (and don't come back). Omar Abdel Rahman was AQ but he wasn't like ISIS -- he wasn't attacking the American people or hating us for our freedom or any of that crap -- he was fighting a war against aggressors and hitting them back. So flying into the Red River Showdown didn't fit the plan. His bone wasn't with Oklahomans or mid-functioning alcoholics or ESPN or the Chevy marketing department. He probably didn't regard himself as a "terrorist" at all -- for him that was an act of asymmetric warfare in a war that had already been going on for 70 years killing hundreds of thousands of Muslims. It was taking the fight to the enemy -- the Doolittle Raid, blowing up the Death Star.

But ISIS would do it in a heartbeat. They're the actual boogeyman Bush ginned up after 9/11 to get his war powers (and his tax cut).
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                  Does Trump display more despotic tendencies than Nixon did? Given his attacks on the media and efforts to avoid answering tough questions and his open admiration for Putin, Erdoğan and Duterte, you can make a case for it. Some similarities between Nixon and Trump:

Nixon: Fake “secret plan to end the war in Vietnam.”
                  Trump: Multiple references to a new plan to fight ISIS. http://www.vo*****/world/2017/7/3/15...isis-terrorism

Nixon: When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal
                  Trump: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."

Nixon: Extensive secret enemies lists (which became public) that included dozens of journalists and many actors and actresses (http://www.enemieslist.info/list1.php)
                  Trump: The media is the enemy of the American people.

Nixon: “I am not a crook.”
                  Trump: Stiffed hundreds of contractors. Trump University con job. Labeled Hillary “crooked.”

Nixon: Forced out of office, by honest journalists, judiciary with a backbone, and Republicans who put country ahead of party.
                  Trump: Stay tuned.

In the interest of fairness, Nixon must be turning over in his grave over what Trump has done to the EPA, which Nixon's administration created, starting with appointing a director who for years has the hands of the oil and gas industries in his pants.
                  How different 1974 was from 2017. Nixon was forced to resign 22 months after winning a landslide victory in the popular vote that has only been approached one time since and in a world that moved slower than it does today. And in reality, long before 1973 even turned into 1974, more Americans thought Nixon should either be removed or resign than approved of the job he was doing. With Agnew's resignation and No Contest pleas to tax evasion and the Saturday Night Massacre happening over a period of 2 weeks in October, many observers KNEW Nixon's second term would have a difficult time surviving until 1977. I have vivid and distinct memories of political discussions around our dinner table at this time. Yet in 2017, there is zero chance of trump resigning or being impeached, despite the fact he is both more corrupt than Nixon and less qualified in any other way of being president.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Those attacks were specifically targeted: the Pentagon (get your soldiers off my desert), the World Trade Center (and your corporations), and the White House / Capitol Building (and don't come back). Omar Abdel Rahman was AQ but he wasn't like ISIS -- he wasn't attacking the American people or hating us for our freedom or any of that crap -- he was fighting a war against aggressors and hitting them back. So flying into the Red River Showdown didn't fit the plan. His bone wasn't with Oklahomans or mid-functioning alcoholics or ESPN or the Chevy marketing department. He probably didn't regard himself as a "terrorist" at all -- for him that was an act of asymmetric warfare in a war that had already been going on for 70 years killing hundreds of thousands of Muslims. It was taking the fight to the enemy -- the Doolittle Raid, blowing up the Death Star.

But ISIS would do it in a heartbeat. They're the actual boogeyman Bush ginned up after 9/11 to get his war powers (and his tax cut).
                    I think I agree that bombing a small town elementary school with 250 students in it would probably be a more effective means to strike terror (and bring about immediate, extreme, and disastrous countermeasures) than bombing the Big House on a Saturday afternoon in October. The scale of destruction is not meaningless, but it is not the number killed which makes fear personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      On a deer stand? Nah, probably wouldn't hold the bride )
                      You got the deer right...you forget "dead on the side of the road"
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        OTOH, nobody's going to blow up MSP airport.
                        That's so false it hurts. And not because it's a butt hurt Midwest thing either. Minnesota has a horrible Somali terrorism problem. I couldn't tell you how many have gone back to Somalia or to fight for ISIS.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Reuters Top News‏Verified account @Reuters

Trump is considering lawyer Ty Cobb for White House Russia role: sources. http://reut.rs/2tF6vie via @karen_freifeld @jeffmason1

Does Donnie know he died 50+ years ago? Granted, he fits the bill on the racism department
                          Last edited by bronconick; 07-03-2017, 06:38 PM.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Everybody that elected this clown believes in what he says, or worse yet knows he is a fraud but believes in the hate he spouts. Over 60 million voted for him, and we all know others who don't vote also agree with those who do. If the far right don't have a country than neither do the millions of people who DO believe in laws and open mindedness and do unto others.

Last week on PBS David Brooks had this to say:

Kep, you know I respect your intelligence, your thoughtful take on just about any issue, but here you are wrong. This problem will not inexorably solve itself. It isn't just old white men. There are tens of millions of people who voted for trump that will be alive and well for the next election, and the one after that, and the one after that. I don't know what it will take.

Certainly it starts with getting people with critical thinking skills to the polls. But if the best we can do is elect a handful of people to stop one bad president, we may as well pack it in. Obama was elected and he promised to do something about health care. Then he did. And the economy grew more in 2010 than in any year since. How were we rewarded? With a republican congress. Elections alone won't mean a d am n thing in the overall scheme and we can't sit around waiting for trump voters to die. Even with his policies potentially killing off plenty of them there are still plenty that we have to worry about.
                            A generation is typically thought of as about 21 years' time. I'd say we are about half a generation away from the demographics really working against the GOP. That, I think, is at the heart of Kep's optimism. But that depends on some traditional voter assumptions, and we've learned how mistaken those can be.

What many have said about the 52% women's vote is true, IMO--that many of those women voted to support their husbands' current struggles. That 55-75 white male demographic brought the women along with it. The demographics will undoubtedly be a LOT different in 12 years, but it's hard to predict whether traditional voting assumptions will hold up.
                            You realize that these people reproduce and are raising their children to drink the Koolaid like it was communion wine. It doesn't matter what a generation is when they are grooming the next generation with carefully crafted Faux News, Briebart, Ann Coulter.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              You realize that these people reproduce and are raising their children to drink the Koolaid like it was communion wine. It doesn't matter what a generation is when they are grooming the next generation with carefully crafted Faux News, Briebart, Ann Coulter.
                              People in my generation (mid 30's) are just as split and have just as many conservative tools as the 70 year olds Kep is assuming will die off and tilt the country blue.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                That's so false it hurts. And not because it's a butt hurt Midwest thing either. Minnesota has a horrible Somali terrorism problem. I couldn't tell you how many have gone back to Somalia or to fight for ISIS.
                                There are people here who think that our entire Somali population wants to enact sharia here...ridiculous.
                                Msp is a decent sized airport and we do have a terrorosm issue with some of the Somali pop so I agree, keps statement is a little ignorant- to him I suppose anything not on the coasts are not important enough to blow up? I dunno. After living in NYC I met a lot of people like that

Comment

Working...
                                X