Illinois is broke(n) ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The idea of that map is on track, but I'd say the area being claimed is a bit large.
    Correct, and that map is quite large. A good portion of people in the region refer to the surrounding counties around Chicago as "Chicagoland," because saying you're from "Chicago" and then describing the gated community of Barrington Hills you grew up in which is 40 miles Northwest of the Chicago loop is just that person being an a**hole.

Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia have the closest accurate answer, but for most people, it's the much smaller seven county metro area: Cook County (where the city if Chicago is located within), Lake, McHenry, DuPage, Kane, Will, and Lake County Indiana.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      It's a way to refer to the region and its suburbs and influence.
      I'm not sure if Milwaukee is part of Chicagoland (the 'sconnies may be insulted); however, last time I drove Milwaukee to Chicago it felt like I never left a city.

DFW is "the metroplex".
      Minneapolis + St. Paul is "the seven county metro".
      Miami is now "Miami Dade" because city and county blur.

Heck, if I say "the beltway" you know exactly what metropolitan area to which I refer.
      No, Milwaukee isn't part of Chicagoland. And residents of Rockford Illinois aren't part of that region either.

The overlap into Wisconsin is at Racine/Kenosha. That's the line in the sand where people start hating those "F.I.B's"

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: Illinois is broke(n) ...

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        The overlap into Wisconsin is at Racine/Kenosha. That's the line in the sand where people start hating those "F.I.B's"
        Wisconsin is willing to trade Racine? I can see it.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Does anyone know the main causes of the problem? I've of course heard about the worst pension system in terms of underfunding but if they're not funding it currently that wouldn't contribute to the budget crisis today, so what else is going on? Massive loss of industry? Which ones? Too much spending? On what exactly? Is the entire state in trouble or just certain areas?
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The spending has outpaced income for decades but there were so many sources to siphon off from that they got by.
            - In 2008, when most states were slash-and-burning budgets to correct for the bubble crash, Illinois only enacted temporary cuts that expired in 2011.
            - The tax system is lopsided the wrong way. High state sales tax and flat income tax. Property taxes are how municipalities make up their funding, which lead to property taxes being much higher than elsewhere.
            - State Pensions are an easy source for money, only the legislature never re-invested into the pensions. Well over 11 to 12 figures are due to be returned to the pensions. And a state Constitution that was built around unions and pensions.
            - A Governor who really despises the Unions, Pensions, and Tax Increases.
            - A legislature who wants those things.

This all mostly effects the Chicagoland region residents, but the entire state is hurting from this.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If MN doesn't have to subsequently absorb parts of WI they have my blessing!

Comment

Sorry, but every time I read this title, I flash back to Saving Private Ryan, "'The Statue of Liberty is kaput' - that's disconcerting."
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

BTW: Bill Wirtz clearly felt that Milwaukee was in Chicagoland, and that's one of the big reasons why Milwaukee never got an NHL franchise.

Screw you too, Blackhawks.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    BTW: Bill Wirtz clearly felt that Milwaukee was in Chicagoland, and that's one of the big reasons why Milwaukee never got an NHL franchise.

Screw you too, Blackhawks.
                    Well, yeah, but does that mean Hamilton is in western NY?

BTW, the Admirals would have been a GREAT franchise.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      BTW, the Admirals would have been a GREAT franchise.
                      Obligatory: https://youtu.be/P9eLbDdTTyQ

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Illinois Democrats hope to have bill ready to go today. http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mad...ands-for-deal/

My guess? Rauner openly laughs at Madigan's proposed budget tonight, then pi**es on it like James Gammon in Major League. Rauner will demand more cuts to pensions, Madigan will refuse. Neither side will talk again until Thursday. Thursday night, Rauner will once again demand Madigan sends him a budget, but he wants to see more union busting language. Madigan will tell him to pound sand.

Friday night, Madigan will propose a slightly modified budget, but under "Concessions For Rauners Approval," there will only be a drawing of Dickbutt. Rauner will again deny the budget.

Early Saturday morning it will be announced that no temporary appropriation was passed, no budget was passed, the state is shut down.

It won't be until next Friday that the politicians, after being leaned on heavily by constituants who are affected by the shut down, will finally pass a quasi-budget that keeps doing what we've been doing for two years.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Looking back in Church history, I have a solution that was used in the Papal Conclave of 1268-71.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa...ion,_1268–71

The election occurred more than a year after the magistrates of Viterbo locked the cardinals in, reduced their rations to bread and water, and legendarily removed the roof of the Palazzo dei Papi di Viterbo.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You can't take the roof off of the Capitol.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              You can't take the roof off of the Capitol.
                              A mere engineering obstacle.

Bread and water, though. And lock the governor in with them. If no results after a week, turn off the plumbing, except for one hour at 2 am and 2pm.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you're going to limit restroom usage, you must serve up a proper meal: White Castle and Taco Bell.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X