No announcement yet.

Making a Murderer updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom!!!! Zellner drops the hammer as a witness has come forward: https://t.co/RqvrUtwgJt?amp=1

a shirtless Bobby Dassey pushing the rav4 onto the Avery property.

Let Justice Be Done Though The Heavens Fall.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      Boom!!!! Zellner drops the hammer as a witness has come forward: https://t.co/RqvrUtwgJt?amp=1
      That appears to just be a link to the front page of Zellner's website. Was there a news story or something?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That appears to just be a link to the front page of Zellner's website. Was there a news story or something?
        You have to click on the latest update
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• It's entertaining, but if I were Avery I wouldn't count on being out for July 4th or anything.

I'd want to see some things, like cellphone records for this guy. Can they track him to the site at the time he says he was there.

I thought it was funny (although largely unimportant) that he couldn't remember the make of his own car but he remembered seeing a Rav4 getting pushed by these guys.

He says he called the sheriff's office, which is certainly possible. But where has he been for these last 16 years? He's a local.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Oops. I thought it was a link to her update.

here’s a quick blurb: https://t.co/NbU1Rpshrf?amp=1

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              It's entertaining, but if I were Avery I wouldn't count on being out for July 4th or anything.

I'd want to see some things, like cellphone records for this guy. Can they track him to the site at the time he says he was there.

I thought it was funny (although largely unimportant) that he couldn't remember the make of his own car but he remembered seeing a Rav4 getting pushed by these guys.

He says he called the sheriff's office, which is certainly possible. But where has he been for these last 16 years? He's a local.
              Agreed on all points here. if Zellner finds the records of the phone call (I assume she has them???) and they coincide with his timeline that’s a good reason for the COA to grant a hearing I think. Even if the police don’t provide their call log you’d think the cell company could provide this guys record and what tower his phone pinged when on the call.

Comment

• Yeah I dont buy any of this and Zellner has done nothing but bloviate and hyperbolize since she became a part of this circus.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Apparently Avery just lost his appeal.

Comment

• I haven't followed any of this crap but it is all just about CYA now? Like all consideration of the merits or what actually happened has no place at all in the proceedings and these people are just saving their butts?

Hasn't this been about 20 years now? I don't even recall where it finally went: did they set up the tard or did his Tundra Appalachian family really do it, or what?
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I haven't followed any of this crap but it is all just about CYA now? Like all consideration of the merits or what actually happened has no place at all in the proceedings and these people are just saving their butts?

Hasn't this been about 20 years now? I don't even recall where it finally went: did they set up the tard or did his Tundra Appalachian family really do it, or what?
                      I think the conviction was in 2007, so it's been awhile.

With respect to the CYA, in my opinion one thing that happens is this. I think the burden on criminal defendant's for getting new trials, or getting a hearing to determine if he should get a new trial, is pretty high. I think they do it that way in part to protect the courts against the endless appeals that could (and in some cases, are) filed by prisoners every year. On the other hand, that really screws the people who actually did get a bad trial, or are innocent.

I suspect Avery is caught up in that problem right now. It's not really whether he is guilty or innocent, at this point, but it's whether he has met the particular criteria necessary to even get a second day in court.

This problem is why I am not in favor of doing away with governor or presidential pardons, to the extent they are available.

Comment

• The state has circled the wagons. Zellner has exposed 5-6 Brady violations and has proven the state’s facts don’t add up to Avery committing the crime but the COA referred back to the state’s erroneous case as if bones were not found in the quarry AND Avery by osmosis somehow knew about those, etc

There are 2 points that I think will keep Avery in jail:

1 - precedent. If the state finds a major error here after locking him away twice wrongfully…if they said “oops! Sorry.” Now, how much faith will be lost amongst voters? How certain can we be on other “slam dunk” convictions? How can we trust cops, judges, da’s going forward?

2 - $. Avery is owed a stadium filled with money now if he’s exonerated. Where would the state magically obtain an 8-9 figure settlement from?

it’s up to the Supreme Court of Wisconsin now (4-3 gop majority) and I suspect they’ll decline the case because again, it’s about circling the wagons.

short of a confession from the murderer or a cop with a guilty conscience, I believe it’s over…

Zellner will go federal next but we’ve seen what happens there to. They’ll circle the wagons behind the state.

it truly is a real life Josef K. Travesty.

Comment

• Why hasn't some federal court just thrown everything out and said "go home, everybody, you're drunk" by now?
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Because it isn't as cut and dry as solo says it is. Plus you have to have a reason throw out the case and Zellner hasn't provided anything factual just a lot of conjecture and bravado. It is convincing to those of us that watched the (biased) documentary but it might not add up to reversible error.

It is hard to overturn a conviction on principle. There is a lot of dirty things at play here but not a lot of courts, even Federal Ones, are going to think it amounts to the level needed to just throw out the conviction. The system isn't set up that way.

unofan can probably explain it way better than I ever could...but my understanding is what you suggest is not likely even in cases where it is way more obvious than it is here. That seems like something out of movie.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                            X