Huh 1: We could play at Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Oh I’m talking about enameled cast iron- specifically the white cast iron from le crueset. Just hand wash not kong after using and it’s easy.

i don’t generally use regular cast iron. Those are different
    Those are too snooty for me.

I'm talking about this POS:

Fig. 1 F-ck you, future murder weapon
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I've seen two methods:

Method 1
      1. Season it. Lots of videos on how to do this.
      2. Season it again.
      3. Whenever you use it be sure to throw a decent amount of oil/fat.
      4. Cleanup should be no more than running hot pan under water for a few seconds then wiping vigorously with a paper towel.
      5. While pan is still warm wipe a thin coat of oil on the surface before returning to cupboard or cabinet. After a few times the pan will be non-stick enough to skip this step.
      6. The more you use it the more non-stick it will become. Cast iron is pretty much all I cook with while my wife is an all aluminum gal.

Method 2
      1. Season it.
      2. Once cooled, place in cupboard or cabinet.
      3. Use aluminum pans going forward.

Comment

Two things:

we use almost exclusively cast iron at this point. Unless we are making scrambled eggs, acid-based sauces, or pasta. Once you get the regular cast iron seasoned properly, like mentioned above you just need to wipe it out a paper towel. I agree with the previously mentioned technique of seasoning it multiple times in a row. Kenji Lopez Alt has a technique on serious eats that worked well. It takes longer, is a lot of work, but man is it worth it.

The reason I think I asked about the pot is that my shoulder has been getting progressively worse lately. I can barely reach across my body without it feeling pain. My SIL said it’s probably the rotator cuff given how I described it. Anyways, motions like those require to scrub pans are not really great for me right now.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Try something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Scraper-Scrap...63656978&psc=1.

Yes, it's intended for a grill, but with the contours in your pan, you should be able to form it to that, too. Then again, I may be full of **** and completely wrong on this.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I would not even use water on regular cast iron, unless you're going to re-season soon afterward. If you've got any stuck-on bits or a lot of grease, pour a little coarse Kosher salt in the pan and use a wad of paper towel to rub it around. Thoroughly wipe out and discard the now greasy salt, then put the pan away. Done.

Comment

Kepler I understand why you'd absolutely hate cleaning that thing. Those grilling ridges are a *****. Get a flat cast-iron pan and your life is so much happier. Combine it with a nice gas grill outside and you've got all cooking options covered.

When I lived in the states and had a gas range, I'd always instantly clean my cast iron pan with water and no soap. Let it dry/cool for a bit, then pour some olive oil on it and rub that in with a paper towel. Throw it in the oven and turn it on to 200. Once it reaches temperature, take it out and let it cool. After about 10 times of doing that, cleaning was so simple and the flavors you'd get were amazing.

Comment

Lots of different options and opinions when it comes to Cast Iron. I generally wipe things out with just a paper towel or maybe a plastic scraper for something kind of stuck on. I have used some hot water and a stainless steel chainmail pad if something is stubborn. That usually happens if I cooked something wrong (I have gotten better at turning down the heat after initial warming of the pan and it has helped a lot). I use BuzzyWax for seasoning. Its a combination of grapeseed oil, canola oil, and beeswax. Works really great and was developed by some Cast Iron aficionados. Often times, but not every time, after using a pan and then cleaning it, I will warm it on the stove and wipe in a thin coat and let it get to just wisps of smoke and then cool. I have taken to using a coffee filter to apply it as it seems to hold up better and sometimes paper towels can leave behind bits of fuzz.

I had heard the Kosher salt thing before but haven't tried it myself. Might give that a go next time I have a stubborn bit. If you are on Facebook and enjoy Cast Iron, check out Cast Iron Community. Good group with lots of info and tips. It is where I learned about restoration.

Comment

There's a woman in Ohio; she's the mother of a trans child and we met online. We've become close over the past year or so, sending hugs and snuggles to each other. But she's currently divorcing her husband while living with him, and she's been awfully lonely lately. Anything special I can do for her to let her know she is so loved?
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    Kepler I understand why you'd absolutely hate cleaning that thing. Those grilling ridges are a *****. Get a flat cast-iron pan and your life is so much happier. Combine it with a nice gas grill outside and you've got all cooking options covered.

When I lived in the states and had a gas range, I'd always instantly clean my cast iron pan with water and no soap. Let it dry/cool for a bit, then pour some olive oil on it and rub that in with a paper towel. Throw it in the oven and turn it on to 200. Once it reaches temperature, take it out and let it cool. After about 10 times of doing that, cleaning was so simple and the flavors you'd get were amazing.
                    This is simple enough even for me. I will try it. Thank you!
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      There's a woman in Ohio; she's the mother of a trans child and we met online. We've become close over the past year or so, sending hugs and snuggles to each other. But she's currently divorcing her husband while living with him, and she's been awfully lonely lately. Anything special I can do for her to let her know she is so loved?
                      Get her a good lawyer? :-)

I think just being in touch with her as she goes through a difficult time is a good thing. You are a warm and supportive woman, MT, and she's lucky to have you as a friend.
                      Cornell University

Comment

And she will have me down to Ohio for a visit after she gets her own apartment.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

To those 40 and up, does this make sense to you:

I turned 39 earlier this year, and it's not that I've run out of Fs to give. In fact, my bounty of Fs is hearty and fulsome. But I am not profligate with my Fs. So while I might have a large bounty of Fs, I'm not giving Fs to certain people, places, or things.

Comment

Miss T,

Yes, it makes sense. The older you get the more you realize that toxic people and situations are not worth your time. Not to be a victim of, not to try to fix. You just let them go. Don't carry them in your head at all. In particular, don't resent them. Uninstall them.

If you like sunshine move somewhere sunny, don't waste your precious time complaining about the climate of where you are.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The older you get the more you realize that toxic people and situation s are not worth your time. Not to be a victim in, not to try to fix. You just let them go.

If you like sunshine move somewhere sunny, don't waste your precious time complaining about the climate of where you are.
                              I’m thinking about that last part. If I don’t want to go broke on housing and don’t want to be surrounded by orcs, what are the options? Santa Fe? Parts of Colorado?

Comment

I agree - I think there's a fair amount of learning throughout your 30's about laying your (unnecessary) burdens down.

(I'm 41, fyi)
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X