Huh 1: We could play at Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huh 1: We could play at Questions

Speaking of questions, I'd like to brag that Dr. Mrs. and I won DC Trivia at the RTC ATR last night. I invite anybody in the area to show up Thursdays at 7 -- it was fun and the higher level questions are very good. We'll be there every Thursday because we're trying to build enough points to qualify for nationals (except next week because Elvis Costello at Wolf Trap). Our team is Bonni Doesn't Know Zephram Cochrane.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I love that name.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Speaking of questions, I'd like to brag that Dr. Mrs. and I won DC Trivia at the RTC ATR last night. I invite anybody in the area to show up Thursdays at 7 -- it was fun and the higher level questions are very good. We'll be there every Thursday because we're trying to build enough points to qualify for nationals (except next week because Elvis Costello at Wolf Trap). Our team is Bonni Doesn't Know Zephram Cochrane.
        But Nancy Hedford knows Zefram!!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Perhaps you would be interested in entering the World's Largest Trivia Contest held every spring on UW-Stevens Point's 90FM. I believe the Contest is entering it's 49th year. I haven't played for ages but I used to play on a perennial top 10 team. It's 54 straight hours of madness with eight questions per hour and thousands of participants on several hundred teams. This is in the Big Leagues of trivia. Winning it is a virtual impossibility but it is an enormous amount of fun and sleep deprivation.

I'm reminded that once, before the internet, on a 1:00 am question about what year the exploding scoreboard came into Comiskey and in what I thought was a real stroke of genius, I called information for Bill Veeck's home number in Chicago.

I was his fourth caller. He was very nice about it though.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Perhaps you would be interested in entering the World's Largest Trivia Contest held every spring on UW-Stevens Point's 90FM which is entering it's 49th year. I haven't played for ages but I used to play on a perennial top 10 team. It's 54 straight hours of madness with eight questions per hour and thousands of participants on several hundred teams. This is in the Big Leagues of trivia. Winning it is a virtual impossibility but it is an enormous amount of fun and sleep deprivation.

I'm reminded that once, before the internet, on a 1:00 am question about what year the exploding scoreboard came into Comiskey and in what I thought was a real stroke of genius, I called information for Bill Veeck's home number in Chicago.

I was his fourth caller. He was very nice about it though.
            You can call for info?

Boo!

I prefer bareback trivia. No phones, no kibitzing, just you, your partner, and alcohol for inspiration.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is a shrug and 10 is nuclear war, how bad would weighing in on a text message thread with future in-laws be:

CC: Future Mother IL, SIL #1 + BIL#1, SIL #2 + BIL #2, fiancee
              Future SIL #1 (just moved to Texas): Something my daughter noticed right away is that there were American flags everywhere. It's great to be in a place where people actually love our country!
              Fiancee: let's not get into controversial topics now...
              FSIL #1: What!? I said (daughter) was excited to see the flags everywhere. I think loving our country is a good thing.
              FIancee: nevermind
              FSIL #1: That would be sad if that's controversial

I really, really want to let her know the places I have seen the most American flags were Boston, NYC, and Washington DC.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A family that group texts? Yikes

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  THey do but they don't. It's rare I hear from BIL/SIL via text. They're generally good people despite their deeply misguided opinions on politics and vaccines. (I know, I know...) They were texting us about settling in and this was like text #15 in the string. Everything else was normal family talk.

That said, BIL/SIL #2, my fiancee, and I text all the time. All four of us at least have our heads on straight. Most of us are all reformed centrists/libertarians/etc.
                  Code:

Comment

I see way more Texas flags than American flags down here...
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

You can probably deflect by saying that it's nice to see the American flag flying and leave it at that. I'd rate it around a 4-5 as it stands.

You already know that this is a political Claymore sitting in your path. Just dodge the 1st one, but realize that if you keep heading down this path, sooner or later you will have to engage the problem. I am also assuming that this is ignorance of their stance on your SIL/BIL and not outright baiting on their part.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

It's both. I know they're both veterans and you can boil both their characters down to Stan from American Dad.

I've been dealing with it now for like 11 months. We went out and visited them this past year at their old place. It's just the obvious trolling by them and I really want to answer in kind.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          You can probably deflect by saying that it's nice to see the American flag flying and leave it at that. I'd rate it around a 4-5 as it stands.

You already know that this is a political Claymore sitting in your path. Just dodge the 1st one, but realize that if you keep heading down this path, sooner or later you will have to engage the problem. I am also assuming that this is ignorance of their stance on your SIL/BIL and not outright baiting on their part.
                          I would agree with this. My future SIL is MAGA (hoo boy), my bro is more centrist, but doesn't speak his mind that much because he knows what will happen, our mom is centrist, our dad is uber-lib (Bernie isn't lib enough for him). Basically, politics is NOT discussed at ANY family gathering. We all know better.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            It's both. I know they're both veterans and you can boil both their characters down to Stan from American Dad.

I've been dealing with it now for like 11 months. We went out and visited them this past year at their old place. It's just the obvious trolling by them and I really want to answer in kind.
                            Where did they move from that apparently did not love America?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              I see way more Texas flags than American flags down here...
                              Traitors. They should leave Murica if they hate it so much!

Also, why is dx suddenly necro-ing threads?
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-05-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                always need to be careful then when telling the sil she looks hot
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X