Huh 1: We could play at Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh 1: We could play at Questions

A thread for questions that don't fit the other threads.

Inaugural here.

Q1: Should You Ask People Their Politics Before Dating Them?

Up until the last few years I'd have answered "no," but I'm actually leaning "yes" now. Partly it's because of the political and social mitosis going on here, and part of it is probably because my daughter is dating a staffer in the office of Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) who, to be fair, sounds like he couldn't care less about his boss's politics and is putting in the time before moving to K Street (like that's better?).
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Huh 1: We could play at Questions

I wouldn't worry about politics, unless it turns out that you're dating a completely in-the-tank Trumpster/Bern-out. Though the odds of dating a full-on Trumpster in most of the major cities in this country, is obviously a lot slimmer than if you live in, say, West Virginia.

Now, if you are from West Virginia, I'm much more likely to question that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Inaugural here.

Up until the last few years I'd have answered "no," but I'm actually leaning "yes" now. Partly it's because of the political and social mitosis going on here, and part of it is probably because my daughter is dating a staffer in the office of Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) who, to be fair, sounds like he couldn't care less about his boss's politics and is putting in the time before moving to K Street (like that's better?).
      No, but if it gets serious you need a sworn affidavit saying he or she did not vote for Trump. It's about mental health, not politics.
      Last edited by burd; 06-14-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

There are a few other questions that occur to me that I would like to ask that would be a much higher priority....like, are you sure you are free of venereal disease? or, do you have an extremely possessive jealous stalker ex-boyfriend I should know about?

Not sure if I'd actually ask them, but that would matter to me a lot more than her politics!
        Last edited by FreshFish; 06-15-2017, 07:33 AM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Inaugural here.

Politics is one of the four taboo topics (religion, money, and previous relationships being the other three) when first dating. That being said, you should probably know before it starts getting serious, especially in today's polarized society.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Politics is one of the four taboo topics (religion, money, and previous relationships being the other three) when first dating. That being said, you should probably know before it starts getting serious, especially in today's polarized society.
            Three of those are horrible rules. Unless you have horrible politics, can't manage your money, or have gone nutso on religion, then they're all perfectly understandable as to why you'd avoid them.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Generally speaking, religious nuttery is pretty easy to discern without asking. In many cases, they'll just tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Generally speaking, religious nuttery is pretty easy to discern without asking. In many cases, they'll just tell you.
                True, but some people try to hide it a little. Or they might just be Southern Baptist.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

This is true of right wing nut jobs, too. They can't seem to go more than 5 minutes at a clip without vomiting one of their catch phrases.

It's less of a problem if you're looking for women. Crazy righty females tend to be in their 60s or the sister-wives of Mormon realtors so the odds are very high any good-looking eligible female you encounter will be apolitical or left.

Guys are trickier. First there's the whole Mom's basement Randian libertarian newly hatched from their spider eggs mouthbreather. Tier 2 engineers can still be like that in their 40s. And of course there are the de facto or wanna be silver spooners who will tell you taxation is theft or some other dou-chey thing they picked up at CATO. But that kind of guy will spend the whole date talking about himself so you can ditch him before the dessert course. Finally there's date rapey frat bro who just adopted whatever daddy told him, but frankly live by Uday and Qusay, die by them.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-14-2017, 03:01 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Is preferred tinfoil hat vendor an appropriate topic? Wonder how that goes as a pick-up line: "hey, baby...where do you buy your foil?"

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                      Is preferred tinfoil hat vendor an appropriate topic? Wonder how that goes as a pick-up line: "hey, baby...where do you buy your foil?"
                      Favorite pizza joint for child sex?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Favorite pizza joint for child sex?
                        You open with the line "shall we cuck now or cuck later"?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Inaugural here.

No. But you should get an idea fairly quickly whether they are compatible.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I just ask if they want to have sex. Weeds out the religious nutters.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                              I just ask if they want to have sex. Weeds out the religious nutters.
                              Unless you're on a date with a demi-sexual.

Comment

Working...
                              X