Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to have my water heater replaced soon. It's still working fine but is >20 y/o. Anybody (especially those in the Northern latitudes) with any experience with the tankless models? My go-to-fix-it guy says here have been a lot of problems with them in the North country but I can't find anything that confirms his opinion. The only person I know with one swears by it.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

• There's no reason to get a tankless. They have 20+ year paybacks. They break more often. Repairs are complex and parts can be backordered. They don't have instant on like tanks do (some have a recirc line but you still have to wait for it to come up to temp. They leak.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I've had two tankless water heaters installed in previous houses. No issues. They're wonderful. They're super expensive. I'll be buying another when the current one dies as the boss is hooked on them. Me? Meh. If I lived alone I'd by another tank and call it a day as I don't think they're worth the extra cost (but as mentioned earlier, my opinion doesn't count).

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
          Looking to have my water heater replaced soon. It's still working fine but is >20 y/o. Anybody (especially those in the Northern latitudes) with any experience with the tankless models? My go-to-fix-it guy says here have been a lot of problems with them in the North country but I can't find anything that confirms his opinion. The only person I know with one swears by it.
          Got teenagers at home? If so don't get one, endless showers : ) . Rinnai would be the brand if you really want one. Too many moving parts, keep it simple IMHO. If electric I'd go with a heat pump water heater. If Natty gas I 'd get the best insulated tank I could find. My water can get heated 3 ways, Solar, electric resistance or Heat pump. Solar starting to work again now that sun angle is up but 3 snow storms this week will kill that.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• We finally just got our tankless installed for the master bath - it literally just came on line a couple days ago and we haven't really used it yet. We switched from the tank only because the tank was taking up space in our master closet and we wanted to reclaim that during our renovation. The tankless is outside hanging on the wall, just minding its own business, so that's a plus if space is a consideration. Fingers crossed that it survives for a while in the Florida salt air....
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Got teenagers at home? If so don't get one, endless showers : ) . Rinnai would be the brand if you really want one. Too many moving parts, keep it simple IMHO. If electric I'd go with a heat pump water heater. If Natty gas I 'd get the best insulated tank I could find. My water can get heated 3 ways, Solar, electric resistance or Heat pump. Solar starting to work again now that sun angle is up but 3 snow storms this week will kill that.
              Just a reminder that heat pump water heaters have several potentially massive rebate offers available.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• We went tankless 10+ years ago and I'd never go back. We've had no problems with ours here in Minnesota, although I followed the advice of a plumbing contractor friend of mine who told me not to try to find a bargain product. You get what you pay for with tankless, at least according to him.

I don't really care how long it might take to "pay back" the extra cost. I like not having the tank taking up a lot of space. Also, when the kids are home, with their significant others and families, it is very nice knowing the hot water is there.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Also, when the kids are home, with their significant others and families, it is very nice knowing the hot water is there.
                  Heh. Our house has 2 hot water heaters, and most houses that have that plumb them in parallel, so that they both feed all the hot water taps in the house. The original owners of our house had 5 kids (2 his, 3 hers), so they plumbed it with one hot water heater just feeding the master bathroom and one for the rest of the house. So now the master bathroom has its own unlimited hot water source and the other 4.5 baths, kitchen, and laundry share a tank - sucks to be them! Our kids are really going to be feeling it when they come back to visit with their families 25 years from now....

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Heh. Our house has 2 hot water heaters, and most houses that have that plumb them in parallel, so that they both feed all the hot water taps in the house. The original owners of our house had 5 kids (2 his, 3 hers), so they plumbed it with one hot water heater just feeding the master bathroom and one for the rest of the house. So now the master bathroom has its own unlimited hot water source and the other 4.5 baths, kitchen, and laundry share a tank - sucks to be them! Our kids are really going to be feeling it when they come back to visit with their families 25 years from now....
                    Oh, I will tell you precisely how that is going to work. "Dad, hey I'm going to use the shower in your room, ok. Thanks."
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Appreciate the input.

Space and teenagers are no longer an issue. It really seems to come down to the usual deciding factor: $$$$. Will the expected longevity and energy savings of a tankless offset the upfront savings of a tank? It would be a very easy decision if I knew I could get a similar amount of time that I've gotten out of my current tank (20-25yrs. I can't remember that far back).
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

• No. Any alleged savings will be offset by the temptation to take longer showers. Buy the tankless to get unlimited hot water (performance), not for cost.

Comment

• Retirement simplifies so many things. Shower??

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            No. Any alleged savings will be offset by the temptation to take longer showers. Buy the tankless to get unlimited hot water (performance), not for cost.
                            And we (you?) did tnthe math. The loss through insulation was almost nothing compared to the costs of heating the tank. You're better off going hybrid heat pump for money savings. Plus there are juicy rebates at the utility, state, and federal level.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              Appreciate the input.

Space and teenagers are no longer an issue. It really seems to come down to the usual deciding factor: $$$$. Will the expected longevity and energy savings of a tankless offset the upfront savings of a tank? It would be a very easy decision if I knew I could get a similar amount of time that I've gotten out of my current tank (20-25yrs. I can't remember that far back).
                              You’re not likely to have another water heater last that long. With rare exception, they’re made much more flimsy these days.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

And we (you?) did tnthe math. The loss through insulation was almost nothing compared to the costs of heating the tank. You're better off going hybrid heat pump for money savings. Plus there are juicy rebates at the utility, state, and federal level.
                                Yeah, that was me. Didn't feel like going back to dig it out.

Good point about the rebates - my power company in Florida (FPL) will give me a rebate for switching from tank to tankless. No idea why, but I'll take the money.

Comment

Working...
                                X