• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    **** yes

full replacement on the roof, new fascia
    all new gutters and downspouts
    A new window screen
    Wisconsin roofer horde headed your way.

And if you think our hockey fans are goons . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Wisconsin roofer horde headed your way.

And if you think our hockey fans are goons . . .
      They were SWARMING today. Worse yet, my phone has been ringing every 20-30 minutes for about four days straight. I wish I were exaggerating
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-27-2022, 10:11 PM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• We're probably going with Sela. We'd like to get a new deck as well (not covered, just small and ****ty). Hoping we can get a good deal with the deck and insurance roof/gutters as a combo. I know they don't pay the deductible, but I'm sure they'd work with us on the cost of the deck if it included a roof
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316
          We?re probably going with Sela. We?d like to get a new deck as well. Hoping we can get a good deal with the deck and roof as a combo. I know they can?t pay the deductible, but I?m sure they?d be happy to work with us on the deck.
          Living where I do, I’m surrounded by high end contractors. All told me to avoid sela when I redid my roof a few years ago. They do lot of volume but if you get a “b” crew I’ve heard it’s not great. My realtor said same thing so I researched and used a smaller local company.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Living where I do, I’m surrounded by high end contractors. All told me to avoid sela when I redid my roof a few years ago. They do lot of volume but if you get a “b” crew I’ve heard it’s not great. My realtor said same thing so I researched and used a smaller local company.
            interesting I've heard they do great work from several people.

Who did you end up going with?
            Code:

Comment

• I used j robert roofing. Also looked at kretzman.

i think sela can do good work, if you get an a crew. Issue is if you don’t

Comment

• Much obliged
                Code:

Comment

• Roofing is pretty easy, but there are factors that will separate the wheat from the chaff. Your local codes probably specify what products must be used in ice dam areas, but ask them in the bidding stage. If you have a lot of valleys, ask what they put down there and how they shingle them. Naturally, some crews are better at 12/12 pitch roofs than others. If your fascia is being replaced, I assume you have metal fascia. Some roofers butcher fascia, as simple as it is to install. Of course, ask for references and contact some of them.

If you don't have soffit vents, ask what they will do to vent your roof, though I expect they will just duplicate what is there now. It may be that you would benefit from venting changes or additions. Some roofers justifiably assume you're not going to closely inspect their work and will tend to be a little sloppy. In a storm situation, they probably have jobs stacked up and waiting and will be tempted to rush through it.

I'd use a reputable local roofer. It's nice to give the work to those crews who serve your area day in and day out. Be prepared to wait, though.

But, since you are a gopher fan, go with the crew driving that old chevy pickup with Arkansas plates and a bunch of empty Busch cans rattling around in the bed.
                  Last edited by burd; 05-28-2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Yeah I got improved/additional venting done which was great.

I also had mine done 3 weeks before a huge hail storm a few years ago so every local outfit wasn’t super backed up

Comment

• Thanks burd

(fun story. I was trying to lookup stock of bird food at Menards and accidentally typed "burd food". Menards had some suggestions but I didn't think you'd like them.)
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Thanks burd

(fun story. I was trying to lookup stock of bird food at Menards and accidentally typed "burd food". Menards had some suggestions but I didn't think you'd like them.)
                        Odd. They have a long line of paint thinners, and it is a Wisco company.

Oh, you mean they did not recognize my name? Odder yet.
                        Last edited by burd; 05-28-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Venting the roof may or may not be an issue. I wouldn't get too excited about it either way. Hot roofs are more common today, if you need a vent to stop ice dams you need more insulation not more venting
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• That’s why I paid to add insulation to attic well before I paid to get a new roof.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Venting the roof may or may not be an issue. I wouldn't get too excited about it either way. Hot roofs are more common today, if you need a vent to stop ice dams you need more insulation not more venting
                              Yeah, I don't know that venting ever did a lot to prevent ice dams.

Comment

• We've got soffit vents already. The house used to have an attic circulator. I'm going to have them remove that penetration if they can.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X