The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah, you?d definitely need multiple units. WHich is way more expensive up front, but better for the planet most likely.
    Depends on floor plan, my house is open, one heat pump(12k Fujitsu) heats my main living area. Living room, dining room , kitchen and master bed and bath. Master bed and bath has no heat source other than the doorway and south facing glass. The walls in bedroom(a newer addition) are 6.5 inches of foam, ceiling is too. You pay for insulation once, you pay for heat the rest of your life. Too bad you can't post pics on here.

www.buildingscience.com if you want to understand what to do in your zone
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• This weekend I spent like $250 on spring lawncare items. Seed, fertilizer, weed killer, etc. Ugh.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Depends on floor plan, my house is open, one heat pump(12k Fujitsu) heats my main living area. Living room, dining room , kitchen and master bed and bath. Master bed and bath has no heat source other than the doorway and south facing glass. The walls in bedroom(a newer addition) are 6.5 inches of foam, ceiling is too. You pay for insulation once, you pay for heat the rest of your life. Too bad you can't post pics on here.

www.buildingscience.com if you want to understand what to do in your zone
        we almost did a ducted solution for our first floor to distribute the heating/cooling better and the ductless in the bonus room (they make a ducted indoor unit we could have installed in our basement for one of the zones on our multi-zone mini-split system). I think the ductwork added around 2.5K to the cost, but we ended up not pulling the trigger on it because our main living area is open concept and we decided we would be fine with the wall mounted ductless indoor unit. I think we have 12k indoor unit for the bonus room, and 18k btu for the living room area. Had we done the ducted, we would have gone with a larger outdoor unit and bumped the 18k up to a 24k to cover the entire first floor (including master suite).

We've found the mini-splits operate pretty well, even with temps that are in the single digits (it's supposed to be 'efficient' down to -14F, and includes a drain pan heater so the defrost cycle still works). Being coastal, our winters are usually a little more mild compared to inland Maine. Our exterior walls are 1.5 of foam plus R-21 of fiberglass so I think that puts the walls around R-30. I think the attic is something like R-50 of blown insulation.
        Last edited by BassAle; 03-14-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I installed the new ecobee. Pretty cool. I wish it were a hair easier to just press a single button to turn on the fan, but probably just learning curve.

Two things I learned tonight:
          1. I have a C wire! I didn't even notice it a few weeks back when I did an inspection behind the thermostat. It was tucked back into the wall and wasn't landed on the furnace.
          2. I've owned this house for 11 years. Had the same thermostat the whole time. Previous owner was the original owner. When I pulled the backplate off the thermostat, there were THREE other mounting hole sets. One with anchors, two without. So all from different installs. Jesus..
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

we almost did a ducted solution for our first floor to distribute the heating/cooling better and the ductless in the bonus room (they make a ducted indoor unit we could have installed in our basement for one of the zones on our multi-zone mini-split system). I think the ductwork added around 2.5K to the cost, but we ended up not pulling the trigger on it because our main living area is open concept and we decided we would be fine with the wall mounted ductless indoor unit. I think we have 12k indoor unit for the bonus room, and 18k btu for the living room area. Had we done the ducted, we would have gone with a larger outdoor unit and bumped the 18k up to a 24k to cover the entire first floor (including master suite).

We've found the mini-splits operate pretty well, even with temps that are in the single digits (it's supposed to be 'efficient' down to -14F, and includes a drain pan heater so the defrost cycle still works). Being coastal, our winters are usually a little more mild compared to inland Maine. Our exterior walls are 1.5 of foam plus R-21 of fiberglass so I think that puts the walls around R-30. I think the attic is something like R-50 of blown insulation.
            Back up heat of any kind? Mini splits lose efficiency as temps go down, especially older ones. Still can move heat but spend more time on defrost where you don't get any heat and therefore efficiency drops.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I installed the new ecobee. Pretty cool. I wish it were a hair easier to just press a single button to turn on the fan, but probably just learning curve.

Two things I learned tonight:
              1. I have a C wire! I didn't even notice it a few weeks back when I did an inspection behind the thermostat. It was tucked back into the wall and wasn't landed on the furnace.
              2. I've owned this house for 11 years. Had the same thermostat the whole time. Previous owner was the original owner. When I pulled the backplate off the thermostat, there were THREE other mounting hole sets. One with anchors, two without. So all from different installs. Jesus..
              I live in a house built in 1928, so I feel you there. 96 years of upgrades and maintenance. Some of the houses I looked at before buying this one were... yikes. As if I had done a century of work, instead of actual professionals. One of the big reasons we bought this one was that the previous owner had lived here almost 40 years and used professionals for everything (even left a lot of receipts and permits).

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Back up heat of any kind? Mini splits lose efficiency as temps go down, especially older ones. Still can move heat but spend more time on defrost where you don't get any heat and therefore efficiency drops.
                the mini split is the only source of heat for my home office / bonus room over the garage which is a pretty large room, for the rest of the house propane is the "primary" heat source, although it's essentially a backup for the minisplit

Comment

• What is ant season in your neck of the woods?

It has begun in DC, and usually takes all of April, as the temperatures ride the roller coaster above 70 and below 40.

By May they are only outside where they happily build their hills all summer long. Then we have another brief invasion in October, and then they vanish until next April.

In Ithaca I remember they were 365, but that probably says more about my student level of cleaning.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• About a month from now through September October
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• We gets ants for about a month in our house. Month of May, mostly.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

In Ithaca I remember they were 365, but that probably says more about my student level of cleaning.
                        Bigazz ants that looked exactly like cockroaches?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

Bigazz ants that looked exactly like cockroaches?
                          LOL, no. I had those in Boston though.

Jesus, the first time I saw Big City Roaches I wanted to use a flamethrower.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Does anyone have one of those smokeless fire pits, like a Solo?

I was considering a Breeo, as they seem to be better quality and are built in PA instead of overseas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                              Does anyone have one of those smokeless fire pits, like a Solo?

I was considering a Breeo, as they seem to be better quality and are built in PA instead of overseas.
                              We have the Yukon Solo (which I think is the largest). We like it. It burns very hot and efficiently. We live in the city with a relatively large lot, but can move it easily to the front or back yard (had a fire in the front for trick or treating). It contains the fire well so we have it within 10-15ft of the house at times and I have no worries.

Some cons: You will need a cover and a base (which they sell). It is certainly expensive, and likely overpriced. For a "normal" fire, you probably need the large one. I bought a handle to move it (could probably make one).

Overall, I would buy again, but I highly value fires outside and I do not spend my money on much, so it didn't break the budget for us.
                              In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                              I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

We have the Yukon Solo (which I think is the largest). We like it. It burns very hot and efficiently. We live in the city with a relatively large lot, but can move it easily to the front or back yard (had a fire in the front for trick or treating). It contains the fire well so we have it within 10-15ft of the house at times and I have no worries.

Some cons: You will need a cover and a base (which they sell). It is certainly expensive, and likely overpriced. For a "normal" fire, you probably need the large one. I bought a handle to move it (could probably make one).

Overall, I would buy again, but I highly value fires outside and I do not spend my money on much, so it didn't break the budget for us.
                                Thanks! The Breeo has a built-in pedestal, so that's taken care of. I'd definitely plan to get the big metal lid. I'm not super concerned with moving it (it weighs about twice the Solo versions), but even at 50 pounds it doesn't seem completely unrealistic.

I was considering the mid-sized option, which is approximately the Solo Bonfire at 19". I was sort of warned off the larger sizes as they really burn through a lot of wood. I also live in a city on a relatively small lot, so good to hear about proximity to the house.

Does yours give off much radiant heat? I'd heard mixed reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X