This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Minnesota is in for some rude rude awakenings if this is because of clay. Not super thrilled to be living in a home surrounded by clay.
    The inspector was telling me that the homes built on former sand pits and fields that had been repeatedly tilled over the years have had so many issues that construction companies have started installing these piers at the time of original home construction. The is will mitigate the sinking problems, but there’s only so much they can or are willing to do regarding the water drainage concerns.

The more I think about it, the more I would look for a walkout basement going forward.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• What kind of inspector?
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        What kind of inspector?

"Eh what"? Eh 'mon-key'?"
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What kind of inspector?
          We called foundation companies with good reviews from various orgs, like the BBB, Google, yelp, etc..

I also ran Google searches prior to seeking out companies on what causes these issues I’d been having in my house - brand new entry door going out of alignment after winter came, the ceiling of the basement room in the same corner of the house as said door appearing to separate from the walls, and the appearance of foundation blocks separating on that side of the house, and a crack appearing in the plaster wall by that same entry door.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I take this to mean brown = sand. While the clay has a potential to swell, it sure made watering the yard in the summer easy. I did it maybe twice at our house in North MPLS over five years, where it is pretty high in clay.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Yeah, ANoka County is basically just sand. GDO is all clay. It's a sharp line
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The inspector was telling me that the homes built on former sand pits and fields that had been repeatedly tilled over the years have had so many issues that construction companies have started installing these piers at the time of original home construction. The is will mitigate the sinking problems, but there’s only so much they can or are willing to do regarding the water drainage concerns.

The more I think about it, the more I would look for a walkout basement going forward.
                Why would a walkout be any better?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We called foundation companies with good reviews from various orgs, like the BBB, Google, yelp, etc..

I also ran Google searches prior to seeking out companies on what causes these issues I’d been having in my house - brand new entry door going out of alignment after winter came, the ceiling of the basement room in the same corner of the house as said door appearing to separate from the walls, and the appearance of foundation blocks separating on that side of the house, and a crack appearing in the plaster wall by that same entry door.
                  There are a lot of posers out there calling themselves home inspectors, glad you did your homework. Thats a serious issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Why would a walkout be any better?
                    I figure that a walkout would allow at least one direction for the water to move rather than all being stuck the “bowl” created when the land is excavated for the foundation. According to the guy who was here, if you dig up clay and put it back in place, even under a house foundation, it takes about 25,000 years for the disturbed ground to become as hard as it had once been. So I’m thinking that the water movement, if it had at least one direction of escape, would help to somehow mitigate water issues. I might be way off on that idea.

Comment

I figure that a walkout would allow at least one direction for the water to move rather than all being stuck the “bowl” created when the land is excavated for the foundation. According to the guy who was here, if you dig up clay and put it back in place, even under a house foundation, it takes about 25,000 years for the disturbed ground to become as hard as it had once been. So I’m thinking that the water movement, if it had at least one direction of escape, would help to somehow mitigate water issues. I might be way off on that idea.
                      If the foundation is done right, the soil the footers are on should be undisturbed, the walls are then built on those footers. Compacted gravel between the footers(below cellar floor), drain pipe to daylight if possible inside and outside the footers and then a slab is then poured inside the walls. . Back filling with native clay is done all the time although I wouldn't do it at my home. Frost issues are especially bad in clay, ice lenses can form and push concrete all over the place. Block walls can be pushed in easily by frost(as can poured walls). I googled ice lenses(lens) and got a Minnesota example on first hit. https://inspectapedia.com/Energy/Ice...ion-Damage.php

Comment

• Well this thread has officially become terrifying

Comment

Hell, it takes about 2.5 days at my house in the summer to turn to a hardness that jumping on a spade won't penetrate it. :-)
                          (I don't doubt that it's a long time. Holds water so well. But once it's gone...)

You might be right though. I haven' tseen much in the way of water issues with my place. I'll definitely be looking for less clay when we move eventually.
                          Code:

Comment

• Two quotes received, and they vary wildly. First quote was about $14,500. Today’s quote was for $25,200-$50,100, depending upon if we wanted them to go into our garage. And this second quote didn’t include replacing the concrete on the driveway.

Comment

• Do you have to get permitting from city/town ?

Comment

Do you have to get permitting from city/town ?
                                Yes, the contractor will cover that.

Comment

Working...
                                X