No announcement yet.

The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's like trying to match MTU gold. I gave up and picked a nice calming shade of teal for my office accent wall, and I'll worry about MTU gold as I build out the basement man cave in the coming months.

Home Depot home delivery grinds my gears. I had to reorder a bunch of materials for our kitchen remodel, after our contractor told us what we originally purchased would not work (of course). HD said they'd be here this Friday. This morning I get an email that - surprise! - it's all being delivered today, the day after I ordered it. FedEx Ground truck shows up at 10:30a and an overweight driver with no help has to unload an 8 ft. piece of maple butcher block. He was NOT happy and was already on the phone to his dispatcher or supervisor or whatever to complain. Fiance then has to clock out for a work "break" to help me drag it into the house.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-09-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, it's mostly going to be a gray somewhere between light and medium gray here most likely.

SOmething along these lines, though, on a much larger wall...
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• FYI - my 95ish year old house is almost entirely hard wood flooring. We use felt pads of appropriate thickness to avoid scratching. No issues so far. Just need to be careful if moving things so the pads don't slip out.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
          FYI - my 95ish year old house is almost entirely hard wood flooring. We use felt pads of appropriate thickness to avoid scratching. No issues so far. Just need to be careful if moving things so the pads don't slip out.
          Yeah, we have a 100+ year old Victorian with hardwood floors, and we've just used pads. However, up until about two years ago it didn't matter because we also had a golden retriever and german shorthair.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, we have a 100+ year old Victorian with hardwood floors, and we've just used pads. However, up until about two years ago it didn't matter because we also had a golden retriever and german shorthair.
            So, mobile scratch machines.

I also got floor pads to go under my wheelie office chairs. The ones for carpets have the teeth to hold them in place, the ones for hardwood/pergo are flat and smooth.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I installed an RO system for the kitchen. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I only got sprayed in the face with bleach water twice!
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Golden retrievers kill hardwood floors, Scratches are one reason, bigger reason is being wet whenever they can and then sprawling out of the floor
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Annoying feature not considered of new RO system. During refilling periods, the reject water is a constant trickle in the drain.

:-/
                  Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Annoying feature not considered of new RO system. During refilling periods, the reject water is a constant trickle in the drain.

:-/
                    I remember that from bbdl's old house.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

I don’t have a good suggestion, but definitely stay away from the felt pads, especially for things like dining chairs that you expect to move frequently. The pads won’t stick over time, and if there is anything worse than a floor protected by felt pads, it’s one that you *think* is protected. Ugh - been there.
                      Gorilla Glue makes some felt pads that have done well for me. They include these little spikes - 3 or 4, depending upon pad diameter - that you tap in lightly with a hammer as well as an adhesive. Otherwise, yes, I’ve had similar issues that you’ve described.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• I just had my home inspected, confirming what I pretty much figured out on my own earlier this week. The NW corner of my house is sinking. The solution to this is to install galvanized steel pads that rest upon 20-30ft galvanized steel piers that reach down to hard, undisturbed soil. Four of them are needed. Super.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I just had my home inspected, confirming what I pretty much figured out on my own earlier this week. The NW corner of my house is sinking. The solution to this is to install galvanized steel pads that rest upon 20-30ft galvanized steel piers that reach down to hard, undisturbed soil. Four of them are needed. Super.
                          Is your house built on a slab? or do you have a basement? That sounds like an expensive fix. and way more to it than just some pilings driven and somehow connected to some pads.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Is your house built on a slab? or do you have a basement? That sounds like an expensive fix. and way more to it than just some pilings driven and somehow connected to some pads.
                            We have a basement. Most homes in MN have either a basement or 4’ crawl space due to weather safety considerations.

The corner of the house that’s sinking is about 12’ along the front of the house, and then about 5-6’ along the side, which leads to the four piers.

This all happens because of the excavation process of building a home in mostly clay soil. The water will get trapped in the disturbed soil which then expands and contracts under the entire basement, but impacts the footings upon which the basement walls rest as they carry most of the house’s weight.

According to the inspector, the number of houses experiencing this issue have shot way up because of the odd weather patterns these past few years. We’ve had some very dry summers, but then it’s been getting very wet just before the cold weather hits. This all causes the soils to shift more during the winters.

The fix is just shy of $15k, about half of what I had been expecting.

Comment

• Minnesota is in for some rude rude awakenings if this is because of clay. Not super thrilled to be living in a home surrounded by clay.
                              Code:

Comment

• Interesting map

Comment

Working...
                                X