X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Gets better.

We've been smelling a gawd awful sewer odor in the basement since we moved in. The odor comes and goes but is pronounced after we run the dishwasher or clothes washer.

Called the plumber. You won't believe it.

A $&$%=&^ vent pipe was never fully connected to the drain pipe. How the house passed the building inspector in 1999 or our home inspector is beyond me.

$125 later - all is fixed.

Sent a picture to our real estate agent. Should send one to the old owners. Waiting guidance from the RE Agent.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Gets better.

We've been smelling a gawd awful sewer odor in the basement since we moved in. The odor comes and goes but is pronounced after we run the dishwasher or clothes washer.

Called the plumber. You won't believe it.

A $&$%=&^ vent pipe was never fully connected to the drain pipe. How the house passed the building inspector in 1999 or our home inspector is beyond me.

$125 later - all is fixed.

Sent a picture to our real estate agent. Should send one to the old owners. Waiting guidance from the RE Agent.
      Like the closet supports, it has homeowner written all over it. You're fortunate it's only $125, I guess.

Comment

So the range hood in my kitchen has what appear to be charcoal filters. However, I’m not entirely sure how to tell if it actually is charcoal. How can I tell if it’s just a sort of black mesh inside or it’s charcoal?

Relatedly, the manufacturer no longer makes replacements. Is there a standard size or spec? Do they even make generic types that would fit as replacements? A quick search of Home Depot and amazon don’t immediately give me an idea if they would work.

I know this seems simple but range hoods are pretty important to make sure you don’t burn your house down in a grease fire.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          So the range hood in my kitchen has what appear to be charcoal filters. However, I’m not entirely sure how to tell if it actually is charcoal. How can I tell if it’s just a sort of black mesh inside or it’s charcoal?

Relatedly, the manufacturer no longer makes replacements. Is there a standard size or spec? Do they even make generic types that would fit as replacements? A quick search of Home Depot and amazon don’t immediately give me an idea if they would work.

I know this seems simple but range hoods are pretty important to make sure you don’t burn your house down in a grease fire.
          Never heard of a charcoal filter in a range hood. Take them out and see?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Mine has charcoal filters

You see them most often when the hood doesn’t vent outside and instead they just draw the air through a filter (mine only requires installation of the filters if it’s not setup to vent outside)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Yeah, I’ll probably have to do that. I just don’t want to screw them up if I can’t get replacements.

Either way, I’ll need to get more eventually because they wear out and I’d rather not get a new hood. Because the fan and the assembly are in excellent condition. There’s still a mirror finish on the stainless interior. So the filters are doing an amazing job.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                Mine has charcoal filters

You see them most often when the hood doesn’t vent outside and instead they just draw the air through a filter (mine only requires installation of the filters if it’s not setup to vent outside)
                Why would you have a vent that doesn't go outside? I can see a charcoal filter getting rid of smell but what happens to moisture from water boiling or...... I guess you could have some kind of drain or condensate pump
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Why would you have a vent that doesn't go outside? I can see a charcoal filter getting rid of smell but what happens to moisture from water boiling or...... I guess you could have some kind of drain or condensate pump
                  A surprising number of kitchens have unvented range hoods, walrus. Just like lot of homes have missing or noncompliant waste water vents. Homeowners do the work and cut costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    When they’re setup this way all they do is pull the air through a charcoal filter and back into the kitchen. My hood came with a conversion kit you could install that would redirect the air back out by the ceiling rather than into a duct to vent outside.

I’m not convinced it’s a big deal either way because I hardly ever even turn mine on unless I’m cooking something that’s smoking and may set off my smoke alarm.

Comment

Electric-powered ranges are not required to be vented out of the house. So range hoods just disperse the smoke throughout the kitchen. I didn't realized how much it'd annoy me when I bought the house in 2005.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Electric-powered ranges are not required to be vented out of the house. So range hoods just disperse the smoke throughout the kitchen.
                        The house I rented in Sommerville MA had one of these. The smoke from the range contains tiny grease particles that can get through the filter and when they vent they coat the ceiling and walls. You can't see it but you can feel it as almost a faint lacquer finish. When the dusk sunlight hits it a certain way it looks like the wall is made of greasy glass.

What I'm trying to convey here is it's f-cking gross. It's possible that a reason Ma-ssholes are so repellent is they are coated with that stuff.

Last edited by Kepler; 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Question for those with interior decorating knowledge/expertise, good taste, or even those who fake it... is it considered to be a faux pas to have wood grains running in opposing directions (orthogonal to one-another) in adjacent rooms with dissimilar wood “types”?

Here’s the situation... we have eliminated all carpeting from one level of the house. In the living area and hallway, hardwood lied underneath in good-enough condition to refinish (completed, and looks great!). In the bedrooms (which come-off the hallway), 9x9 tile... bad 9x9 tile. I am in the process of laying a “locking/floating floor” in the bedrooms. The overlay has a wood grain pattern, but completely different color and width of the hardwood in the hallway.

I started to lay it with the grain orthogonal to the grain pattern in the hallway. However I stepped-back and wondered... should this be installed with the grain running parallel to the hallway grain, or does it really matter? I just would hate to get it all down, and have an “awww, nuts” moment.

Sincerely, the decorating-challenged,
                          ~TTF
                          Dave
                          RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                            Question for those with interior decorating knowledge/expertise, good taste, or even those who fake it... is it considered to be a faux pas to have wood grains running in opposing directions (orthogonal to one-another) in adjacent rooms with dissimilar wood “types”?

Here’s the situation... we have eliminated all carpeting from one level of the house. In the living area and hallway, hardwood lied underneath in good-enough condition to refinish (completed, and looks great!). In the bedrooms (which come-off the hallway), 9x9 tile... bad 9x9 tile. I am in the process of laying a “locking/floating floor” in the bedrooms. The overlay has a wood grain pattern, but completely different color and width of the hardwood in the hallway.

I started to lay it with the grain orthogonal to the grain pattern in the hallway. However I stepped-back and wondered... should this be installed with the grain running parallel to the hallway grain, or does it really matter? I just would hate to get it all down, and have an “awww, nuts” moment.

Sincerely, the decorating-challenged,
                            ~TTF
                            I've installed wood floors for others and for myself. As for appearance: if you and yours like it, you're golden, so long as this house isn't a flip job. Even then, if the materials are of good quality, I don't think you should worry about wood species or which way the grain runs. You'll never satisfy others. Some people don't like any unpainted wood at all in their home, and most disagree on what wood and stain they like if they do have wood. It's yours; build it for you. And enjoy the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              When you say orthogonal do you mean x/z axis (floor and wall)? Or simply perpendicular flooring?

The former sounds horrific.

The latter... well, if they're wall-separated it won't matter. If you can see them meet then I can imagine it being fine (even attractive) if they are diagonal from the walls but if you're talking about a "railroad crossing" then that doesn't sound too good. Typically when you do that you lay a threshold piece to set them off from each other. It's really case-by-case -- if they met along a long border it is worse because it makes the grain too abrupt. You risk it looking cheap.

Obviously the finer and lighter the grain the less of a problem it is.

You should also consider the light on each type. Bright light against a lighter wood vs darker lighting against a dark wood will accentuate the difference and tend to wipe out the lighter type's grain (think lens flare).

This has been Old Retired Set Designer Minute.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 08-29-2019, 01:08 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Putting this here because I don't know who else to ask:

My apartment complex sprayed for bed bugs. The bugs left some nasty stains on the walls and baseboards, and I'm not sure how to clean these stains. Any advice? I read something about soapy water, but I'm not sure.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X