Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Somebody screwed up somewhere. The GFI has 2 blacks coming in.
    When we did the home inspection of our new place, our inspector carried around sharpies and whenever he found ambiguous wiring he'd carefully mark the wires. Said he'd been doing it for 25 years and was "saving Reston 1 house at a time." He'd done 10k houses, and there are only 60k people in town, so he must be getting close.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Sounds like it was a split receptacle that someone stuck a GFI in. If everything else works correctly, you could just cap one feed and use the other to supply that outlet. Or you could put a regular split receptacle in and change to GFI breakers. Or the best thing in this case maybe to just call the pros, as they will be sure to check for any other possibilities where something maybe messed up. Hate to see someone melt their house on internet advice.
      Seconded on all accords (the "split receptacle suspicion" and the "call the pros").

My favorite was the house I had in upstate NY that someone had wired 240 VAC to a standard 120 VAC outlet.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        I had a 20' diameter pad poured (concrete) with a 6' hole left in the center and a 3' wide path to existing concrete at my yard shed. No stamping, no color, those two would've doubled the price.

I put a retaining wall block sitting wall on the outside diameter on the 180 degrees that face the house and yard shed.

I used the same block and put in a block ring for the fire pit. I had a steel ring made to keep direct fire/heat off the block. The 6' hole turned out more like 6'2" (74") and the block is 8" deep so my 74"-16" gives me 58" functional diameter so a 57" ring. Yes, that sounds big, but I need that as I have trees (happy's head just exploded) and need to burn downed branches after storms.

Sitting there Saturday night is when guests pointed out my WiFi extender (no longer needed in basement as I now have a better primary WiFi device) could be put in the shed and a screen could be put onto the facing side of the shed and I could make s'mores and stream projection video. (They also complained that I should have plastic wine glasses for them out there. < sigh > )
        Wow. That sound awesome and way more than I'm looking to do. I was looking at doing a more simple paver design. Was curious if it's worth the time and effort to go through compacting. If it is, I might just go to a pro once I pull the trigger on a firepit.

Can I ask what the pad ended up costing you?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Can I ask what the pad ended up costing you?
          I honestly can't answer that because I had a whole bunch of concrete bid out as one job: the pit pad, the 3' walkway, and a pad and a walkway for the shed. If I guess that the cost split is nominally 50/50, the pit pad and walk was about $3000. Effectively you're just getting 4" thick concrete installed. Your local install price per square will vary (greatly).

The block was pretty cheap at Menards. The wall is six courses and 30' long and the ring is three and 18' long. (I bury a course for stability.) Add in four decent (just decent) wood Adirondack chair's from Walmart and the custom fire ring and finishing the pad out was under $1000.

If you put in pavers and don't pack the < bleep > out of the sand they'll be moving in 72 hours. The dirt I'm on (river bank) that's a guarantee even with a great compaction. If you put in concrete it'll turn grey, turn hard, and crack.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Sitting there Saturday night is when guests pointed out my WiFi extender (no longer needed in basement as I now have a better primary WiFi device) could be put in the shed and a screen could be put onto the facing side of the shed and I could make s'mores and stream projection video. (They also complained that I should have plastic wine glasses for them out there. < sigh > )
            Was that when you told your guests what a great idea now that will be $20 each cover?
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Was that when you told your guests what a great idea now that will be $20 each cover?
              It was the Grand Opening.

Next time.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I honestly can't answer that because I had a whole bunch of concrete bid out as one job: the pit pad, the 3' walkway, and a pad and a walkway for the shed. If I guess that the cost split is nominally 50/50, the pit pad and walk was about $3000. Effectively you're just getting 4" thick concrete installed. Your local install price per square will vary (greatly).

The block was pretty cheap at Menards. The wall is six courses and 30' long and the ring is three and 18' long. (I bury a course for stability.) Add in four decent (just decent) wood Adirondack chair's from Walmart and the custom fire ring and finishing the pad out was under $1000.

If you put in pavers and don't pack the < bleep > out of the sand they'll be moving in 72 hours. The dirt I'm on (river bank) that's a guarantee even with a great compaction. If you put in concrete it'll turn grey, turn hard, and crack.
                I have horrible soil. It's hard clay. I've seen a garden rake bounce off the soil in my front yard after three days without water. I need to get it aerated this fall and again in the spring.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Sounds like it was a split receptacle that someone stuck a GFI in. If everything else works correctly, you could just cap one feed and use the other to supply that outlet. Or you could put a regular split receptacle in and change to GFI breakers. Or the best thing in this case maybe to just call the pros, as they will be sure to check for any other possibilities where something maybe messed up. Hate to see someone melt their house on internet advice.
                  The outlet is in a bathroom. GFI circuit required.
                  Nearest we can tell from testing lights/outlets is from breaker 9
                  Goes to deck receptacle
                  Then to master bath. All the other plugs in all the other bathrooms are hot.
                  All the other outside plugs are hot.

There are at least 3 other GFI outlets in the house, but none connected to breaker 9.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

MORE POWER! You're DARN RIGHT more power!

Oh wait, wrong Home Improvement...

In all seriousness, though, good to see this thread around; may need it in the near future.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-26-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I have horrible soil. It's hard clay.
                      Parts of my yard are sandy loam and soft like a beach. Other parts you need a pick ax to plant a flower.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        MORE POWER! You're DARN RIGHT more power!

Oh wait, wrong Home Improvement...
                        ... Binford 6100 ... < grunt-grunt-grunt >

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Sitting there Saturday night is when guests pointed out my WiFi extender (no longer needed in basement as I now have a better primary WiFi device) could be put in the shed ...
                          Mentioning WiFi, anyone have any good freeware to sniff WiFi signal strength. I used to use InSSIDer but that's no longer free.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

... Binford 6100 ... < grunt-grunt-grunt >
                            http://www.dobernator.com/upload-db/...more-power.gif
                            Cornell University

Comment

Mentioning WiFi, anyone have any good freeware to sniff WiFi signal strength. I used to use InSSIDer but that's no longer free.
                              I had an Android app called "WiFi Analyser" by farproc that did wonders in spotting WiFi signal and strengths when I lived in my apartment.

It also locates named and unnamed SSID wifi.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My laptops both tell me WiFi signal strength. If I'm in the setup mode, they'll even tell me the signal strength for the 6 or 7 networks around my house.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X