This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Just think: That's the new version of "Grampa and Grandma's House" to a whole new generation!
    "Dated" is how you get insecure people to rip out perfectly functional solutions every 20 years.

cf. fashion
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Honestly, you can still buy nearly that exact same faucet. It costs $125 and the nicer ones cost $140. I'll give up an extra Tubman for something that isn't a relic just yet.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Some (unsolicited) comments on this.

First, when you sell your house in Minnesota, you are required to give the buyers a disclosure statement that discloses relevant facts about the roof, foundation, and other parts of your home, and any issues or problems with those areas. This disclosure is basically to the knowledge of the seller, so in terms of the disclosure, and any omissions or misrepresentations in that disclosure that the buyers might later complain about, the existence of this inspection report will place certain knowledge in your head, just in case you don't either fix all the items identified, or fail to disclose what you learn from the report to the buyer. You can't claim that you had no knowledge of issues with the roof when you got an inspection two weeks earlier telling you about those problems.

In fact, I might go so far as to give them a copy of your report with your disclosure. But if you don't fix everything the report identifies, you will be giving the buyers ammunition with which to negotiate.

In terms of the disclosure, it is true that "ignorance is bliss."

The parties can also agree to waive the requirement of a disclosure, and as the seller I always ask to do that.

It is also true that many people conduct an inspection, then use things found in the inspection to re-negotiate on price. However, not everyone gets an inspection, and not all inspections are equal. I've seen a lot of them where the inspector does a terrible job, and doesn't do a lot more than flip the light switches on and off. Thus, you run the risk that your inspector will find things that their inspector wouldn't have, and thus you will have paid to fix items the buyer wouldn't even complain about.

Finally, and this depends a lot on whether it's a buyers or sellers market, but if it's a sellers market (which I still think it is, somewhat), buyers are much less likely to complain about or try to negotiate on repair issues, for fear that another buyer will have their offer accepted.

Just my two cents.
        Whew. The good news is, after a 3 hour $850 inspection today…it’s all minor crap. A huge relief

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Whew. The good news is, after a 3 hour $850 inspection today…it’s all minor crap. A huge relief
          3 hrs, 850 bucks, I’m in the wrong business. What licenses does this guy have?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Here's my lesson learned from selling our first house a while back: whatever the buyer's inspector comes back with, don't try to fix it. Just be willing to drop the price some and leave it to the buyer to fix up (or not). The hassle of trying to get a contractor out prior to closing and getting the buyer to agree it was done correctly isn't worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              3 hrs, 850 bucks, I’m in the wrong business. What licenses does this guy have?
              Dunno but it’s the firm with the best rep in the area so my realtor says it’s not likely a buyer now pays to run their own in what might be a hectic spring.

agree on not fixing anything a buyer would find. Heck if I’m the buyer I want money off so I have freedom to select who does the work- I’d be afraid seller would do it as cheaply as possible.
              But I’m redoing my master shower in feb and replacing one room of carpet so I’ll have that guy do a few of the things on the report.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Here's my lesson learned from selling our first house a while back: whatever the buyer's inspector comes back with, don't try to fix it. Just be willing to drop the price some and leave it to the buyer to fix up (or not). The hassle of trying to get a contractor out prior to closing and getting the buyer to agree it was done correctly isn't worth it.
                True, and most sale agreements have right-to-cure terms clearly setting forth options such as you describe. Usually works for both parties.

Comment

• Does anyone have real good or bad experiences in townhomes or condos?

getting a little bit cold feet on selling this spring as I think about where to go. I don’t want to maintain a 50+ year old house anymore, and I want to cut down expenses as my monthly payment has soared to 2700 with rising taxes and insurance. So this means I’m likely not spending over $400 on new place - which to me means condo or townhome.

im terrified of getting a place and having nightmare neighbors I hear all the time.

Comment

Does anyone have real good or bad experiences in townhomes or condos?

getting a little bit cold feet on selling this spring as I think about where to go. I don’t want to maintain a 50+ year old house anymore, and I want to cut down expenses as my monthly payment has soared to 2700 with rising taxes and insurance. So this means I’m likely not spending over $400 on new place - which to me means condo or townhome.

im terrified of getting a place and having nightmare neighbors I hear all the time.
                    I love our townhouse. No problems at all.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Does anyone have real good or bad experiences in townhomes or condos?

If you see a townhome you like, get details on the home owners’ association and walk around the whole property, not just the house you want or its building.

When I moved into my old townhome back in 2005, the HOA fee was around $115, but it went up fast as the board started going overboard with its fixes. Example: Instead of fixing some settling concrete by sand jacking at the homes impacted, they tore out all of the sidewalks to every home and added concrete aprons to the tops of all driveways.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• I had a terrible HOA that was in a horrible financial situation due to years of mismanagement. The management company that was there the last 6-8 years was very good and doing yeoman's work to drag us out of near ruin, but it was still not a great situation. Constant assessments, and a fee hike a week before my closing when I sold it (which was a month after they explicitly told me there were no assessment or fee hikes for consideration).

Add to that my neighbor's... "unattended death" and the aftermath of that, and I'm cured from ever wanting to share a wall with anyone, ever again.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Hoas should be illegal
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• These things all scare me, but as I age I don’t want to take on more work. Not having to cut grass or deal with snow while being able to garden a bit maybe is tempting. I hate the idea of sharing a wall, and I hate the idea of having to maintain a home all by myself.

also, you can have a nightmare neighbor in a sfh also. I dunno. I’m seeing decent condos that I could pay cash for- the idea of only paying hoa, tax and insurance is tempting.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Hoas should be illegal
                              Like everything else, they just need to be better regulated.
                              Cornell University

Comment

These things all scare me, but as I age I don’t want to take on more work. Not having to cut grass or deal with snow while being able to garden a bit maybe is tempting. I hate the idea of sharing a wall, and I hate the idea of having to maintain a home all by myself.

also, you can have a nightmare neighbor in a sfh also. I dunno. I’m seeing decent condos that I could pay cash for- the idea of only paying hoa, tax and insurance is tempting.
                                I loved giving up the bullsh-t of full ownership. I had trepidation about noise but we've been through 3 sets of renters on one side, all of them young, and despite those "nightmare" scenarios, we've had no problems at all.

You do have to do a ton of research too, though.

Basically, if you get off on the whole Rugged Individualist trip, don't. If you hate the myriad idiocies associated with the Inconvenient Outside, do.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X