The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Because debt is prison. Like unofan says, I'm not trying to squeeze every extra penny out of everything. I want to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible, regardless of interest rate, and be debt free by the time I'm in my mid 50's.
    Fair enough. I get it and don't begrudge you for paying it off early.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Question for you all - I have a chandelier over my dining room table. It came with the place when I bought it 18 years ago. It takes those lightbulbs that look like candle flames. A year or so ago, one of the receptacles you screw the lightbulb in to, well, stopped working. No lightbulb would work in it at all. I didn't do anything about it because it didn't matter too much. But now it's happened to a second one. So my question is - do you think it's worth it to find an electrician to come fix it, or just buy a new one that an electrician would have to come in and install anyway? for roofing concerns in Oakton VA you may want to more guide and detail Roofing Oakton VA to local services..
      It seem like you are facing repeated issues with your chandelier light receptacles. Deciding between repairing or replacing can be tough. If the chandelier holds sentimental value or is unique, repairing might be worthwhile. However if it is showing wear or an upgrade is in mind replacing it could be a better option. Consult an electrician for advice on the feasibility of repair versus a new installation is wise considering safety and practicality. Ultimately the decision should align with your preferences and budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Question for you all - I have a chandelier over my dining room table. It came with the place when I bought it 18 years ago. It takes those lightbulbs that look like candle flames. A year or so ago, one of the receptacles you screw the lightbulb in to, well, stopped working. No lightbulb would work in it at all. I didn't do anything about it because it didn't matter too much. But now it's happened to a second one. So my question is - do you think it's worth it to find an electrician to come fix it, or just buy a new one that an electrician would have to come in and install anyway?
        I would recommend a new fixture. Labor and parts( if available) will be costly and if 2 sockets have gone bad its likely others will follow. New LED fixture will be cheaper to use, probably brighten the room up also.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Because debt is prison. Like unofan says, I'm not trying to squeeze every extra penny out of everything. I want to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible, regardless of interest rate, and be debt free by the time I'm in my mid 50's.
          Swansong, I understand hating debt hanging over you. However, if you are forgoing a higher guaranteed return in order to accelerate repayment of a lower interest rate, you are being financially less responsible than the opposite. It took me a lot of emotional adjustment to wrap my mind around that, because I am also terrified of debt.

The math dictates when to carry debt and when to not.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Laura-4334 View Post

It seem like you are facing repeated issues with your chandelier light receptacles. Deciding between repairing or replacing can be tough. If the chandelier holds sentimental value or is unique, repairing might be worthwhile. However if it is showing wear or an upgrade is in mind replacing it could be a better option. Consult an electrician for advice on the feasibility of repair versus a new installation is wise considering safety and practicality. Ultimately the decision should align with your preferences and budget.
            Oh good. We've got a new chandelier bot
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Swansong, I understand hating debt hanging over you. However, if you are forgoing a higher guaranteed return in order to accelerate repayment of a lower interest rate, you are being financially less responsible than the opposite. It took me a lot of emotional adjustment to wrap my mind around that, because I am also terrified of debt.

I get that, and I don't care much. More importantly, the ol' lady is 100% steadfast on this, so, even if I wanted to...
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

I get that, and I don't care much. More importantly, the ol' lady is 100% steadfast on this, so, even if I wanted to...
                Like I said, I get the emotion of it, because I share it. But someday you may need the money you are leaving on the table, and that would suck.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

LOL.

So, I bought new light bulbs to see if the bulb I tested was bad. And the new one worked! So no need to do anything at this time. I don't mind having one not work, but when two didn't, it wasn't very bright. I still will look into maybe getting a new one but now I don't have to rush. Though given my #OppositeGirl powers, I may have just jinxed it. Heh.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

This exchange with a scammer is…something

https://www.reddit.com/r/scambait/s/pUWPzJnISi

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Math also says I'd save even more money by eating out for lunch one less time each month than I currently do. Seriously.

For ease of math, say I throw $2400/year (or $200/month) extra at the mortgage instead of another investment that would give me a better return by 200 basis points, or 2%. That's a whopping $48 / year difference. At a 4% difference it's $96 / year.

Yes, that all adds up over time, but $50/year is not going to make or break my family's retirement plans compared to whatever unforseen event is going to happen at some point in the next 20 years.

Comment

• That's what, like $1.5k total over 20 years at 4% for 20,19,18,etc yrs?

($50 * exp(0.04*20) = $115 for 20 yrs
                        ($50 * exp(0.04*19) = $106 for 19 yrs
                        etc
                        Code:

Comment

• I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I just started redecorating my bedroom. It's really difficult to find something affordable, nice and qualitative. After reading 1stopbedrooms reviews I decided to ordered some of the furniture there. I was pretty satisfied. Their furniture is beautiful and affordable.
                            Last edited by akerry; 11-14-2023, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by akerry View Post
                              I just started redecorating my bedroom
                              Your desktop?
                              Code:

Comment

• Anyone buy a fridge recently? Brands to definitely avoid? Ours is on the decline and we hate the side by side style anyway, so it’s been something on the list since moving in. Trying to go as low frills as possible since the extras are usually what break first, but turns out there aren’t many bare bones French door models. At a minimum it looks like they all come with a water dispenser. Can always just not hook up the water line, but it’s funny what’s now so standard it’s harder to find things without. I’m sure in ten years it’ll be hard to find one without the tv screen.

I know to cross Samsung off the list. That seems to be a consensus across the Internet. LG gets iffy reviews. GE has a model we’re really interested in but the main complaint is that the compressor/motor (people seem to be using these interchangeably) is louder and runs longer than their old fridge. GE responded to a few of these and said it’s due to the new high efficiency compressors, but if that’s the case I’d expect that to be the complaint across the board for everything.

​​
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X