Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

    INteresting. We're not a google house since we've standardized on iPhones. But something to consider in the future perhaps.

    Do you have a lot of IoT?
    Just a few. Smart TVs, Bose SoundTouch, Ecobee, and security stuff. I won't let things like appliances connect.

    Everything else is Phones, PCs or Games.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

    Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

    Comment


    • I thought of running cat6 wire throughout my house, but instead I went with an Asus Wifi mesh system and have had no problems. It was pretty expensive, but regularly we're running 2 video conference calls simultaneously without issue, and that's most of our heavy traffic.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Swansong View Post
        I thought of running cat6 wire throughout my house, but instead I went with an Asus Wifi mesh system and have had no problems. It was pretty expensive, but regularly we're running 2 video conference calls simultaneously without issue, and that's most of our heavy traffic.
        I think our cat6 wiring was about $135 each. Plus had to pay for other hardware, like the wall box and switch. So not too bad. We only did 5 lines this time.

        I'd recommend that you run 2 lines to the room/plate you use most. If anyone ever decides to do it. That way you can dedicate 1 to your TV, and have 1 for anything else you need to connect there.
        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 10-21-2022, 08:30 AM.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

        Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

        Comment


        • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

          I think our cat6 wiring was about $135 each. Plus had to pay for other hardware, like the wall box and switch. So not too bad. We only did 5 lines this time.

          I'd recommend that you run 2 lines to the room/plate you use most. If anyone ever decides to do it. That way you can dedicate 1 to your TV, and have 1 for anything else you need to connect there.
          Yeah, what I need to do is get a small switch for the main hub, which is in my living room. The mesh hub only has one hardwire output, which I plugged my TV into, but I'd like to hard wire my XBox as well.

          Not a big deal as I don't really play many games that require a faster connection. I'm mainly impressed that I have excellent wifi all over my nearly-100 year old house that's mainly plaster walls/slats (and thus, effectively a faraday cage).
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

            I think our cat6 wiring was about $135 each. Plus had to pay for other hardware, like the wall box and switch. So not too bad. We only did 5 lines this time.

            I'd recommend that you run 2 lines to the room/plate you use most. If anyone ever decides to do it. That way you can dedicate 1 to your TV, and have 1 for anything else you need to connect there.
            This is probably the right choice.

            I've always said our forever home is going to have overside conduit runs to every room so if we ever need to pull wires in the future it's easier. I know that's a borderline insane expense, but if we ever want to add, it will pay itself back 10-fold.

            The way we did it in our current house is just to run paintable flat conduit tucked up along the wall-ceiling intersection. Monoprice used to sell it but quit years ago. ANyways, ran a single wire to my office direct from the modem. Since almost all of the office equipment is in my office I just have an 8-port unmanaged switch which will eventually handle nearly all of the wires. Hue, security, printer, raspberry pi HASS, my computer, etc. We ran a single line through that conduit then out to the living room since there's a beam that runs the entire lenght of the house and nicely hides it. We just have an old router acting as a switch in the entertainment center. Wired up the appleTV, receiver, TV, Playstation, raspberry pi gaming console, etc. But I think I might swap out that router for an 8-port switch.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

            Comment


            • Neighbors went and had the landscaper move the end of their swale to the street instead of my driveway. We hadn’t talked about this

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Neighbors went and had the landscaper move the end of their swale to the street instead of my driveway. We hadn’t talked about this
                Is it like most landscaping where the HOA doesn't intervene even if they do something that crosses property without asking? Or because it's a swale it's different.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

                Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

                  Is it like most landscaping where the HOA doesn't intervene even if they do something that crosses property without asking? Or because it's a swale it's different.
                  The city had allowed it as they deemed my property to be less harmed overall with the seals so they said they had no obligation to force “improvement”

                  perhaps they realized If I slip and fall in the spring that my health insurance would have sued their homeowners

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    The city had allowed it as they deemed my property to be less harmed overall with the seals so they said they had no obligation to force “improvement”

                    perhaps they realized If I slip and fall in the spring that my health insurance would have sued their homeowners
                    I'd guess they knew if push comes to shove they can't change the flow of water onto your property
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                    Comment


                    • This was posted in Australia subreddit

                      https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/c...tm_name=iossmf

                      Comment


                      • That should immediately burst into flames
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                        Comment


                        • Im about to head into Winter #2 in my current apartment. This was the first place I've lived at with baseboard heating.

                          Things I learned last year in this area:

                          - The insulation in my exterior walls is kind of spotty. Like it's good for 90% of the wall and then there will be a small 18" section where it's like nothing in there.
                          - With the baseboard heaters I have the ability to have one room be a foundry while the one next to it feels like a meat locker.
                          - The switches/controls are somewhat inconsistent. Like I will have the same setting and I will have random days where it seems to have gone up and/or down a notch or two. But then it will just go back to what was "normal".
                          - This is a money pit as far as my electric bill goes. I pay 3-4x for heat compared to what I pay for running the A/C full time June-Aug. It's 5-6x compared to May/September when I run nothing.

                          Overall I'm thinking that running my fan(s) over the winter will help a ton in evening all this variance out. It's not that it's cold enough to cause concern, but it is noticeable in the AM when you just roll out of bed or in the evening when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                          Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                          Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                          Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Im about to head into Winter #2 in my current apartment. This was the first place I've lived at with baseboard heating.

                            Things I learned last year in this area:

                            - The insulation in my exterior walls is kind of spotty. Like it's good for 90% of the wall and then there will be a small 18" section where it's like nothing in there.
                            - With the baseboard heaters I have the ability to have one room be a foundry while the one next to it feels like a meat locker.
                            - The switches/controls are somewhat inconsistent. Like I will have the same setting and I will have random days where it seems to have gone up and/or down a notch or two. But then it will just go back to what was "normal".
                            - This is a money pit as far as my electric bill goes. I pay 3-4x for heat compared to what I pay for running the A/C full time June-Aug. It's 5-6x compared to May/September when I run nothing.

                            Overall I'm thinking that running my fan(s) over the winter will help a ton in evening all this variance out. It's not that it's cold enough to cause concern, but it is noticeable in the AM when you just roll out of bed or in the evening when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
                            You're Chi, right, Race?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by burd View Post

                              You're Chi, right, Race?
                              Southwest Suburbs (Joliet area). Basically on the border between farmland and continuous urban suburbs.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                              Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                              Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                              Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Im about to head into Winter #2 in my current apartment. This was the first place I've lived at with baseboard heating.

                                Things I learned last year in this area:

                                - The insulation in my exterior walls is kind of spotty. Like it's good for 90% of the wall and then there will be a small 18" section where it's like nothing in there.
                                - With the baseboard heaters I have the ability to have one room be a foundry while the one next to it feels like a meat locker.
                                - The switches/controls are somewhat inconsistent. Like I will have the same setting and I will have random days where it seems to have gone up and/or down a notch or two. But then it will just go back to what was "normal".
                                - This is a money pit as far as my electric bill goes. I pay 3-4x for heat compared to what I pay for running the A/C full time June-Aug. It's 5-6x compared to May/September when I run nothing.

                                Overall I'm thinking that running my fan(s) over the winter will help a ton in evening all this variance out. It's not that it's cold enough to cause concern, but it is noticeable in the AM when you just roll out of bed or in the evening when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
                                Piggybacking this, I bought an extra set of Ecobee sensors earlier this week since they were on sale. This will basically mean I have sensors in every room. I've been learning a LOT about our house and how to save cash. Our cooling bills this summer only went up about $5-$8/month (5%) because we were using the A/C so much less.

                                We're able to target temps by room instead of just in the hallway. Ran a box fan in the basement pointed up the stairs most of the summer to push colder air upstairs more efficiently. You can actually see the response of the house by the minute doing that. Fans are incredible for getting colder (free!) air circulated better.

                                Looking at the #s, the cooling degree days went up by 4.0%, our electrical usage dropped by 7.6% (even though we had two people working from home now as opposed to last year it was just me). That must have saved us an asston in the end. The ecobee (mostly the data) paid for itself within a single summer. Probably could have done this cheaper using a Home Assistant RPi and some cheapo temperature sensors. But whatever.

                                Will be interesting to see how this behaves for the winter. Won't be able to use the fans, but I'm thinking just closing the doors to our offices and using small space heaters instead of heating up the entire house will be the way to go.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-03-2022, 07:05 PM.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X