• Show
Clear All

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

The joke I saw yesterday:
    Lumber traders coping with concept that it literally grows on trees

But to answer your question, probably. Two reasons why:
    1) My feeling is this isn't actual, long-term inflation. It's inefficiencies in the supply chains caused by reopening significantly quicker than originally anticipated.
    2) This seems to be backed by the markets. The futures contracts on lumber are:
    Jul - $1,397
    Sep - $1,262
    Nov - $1,108
    Jan - $1,083
    Mar - $1,043
    May 22 - $943
    July 22 - $943

Before things went cuckoo, lumber was at like $375 +/- $75 going all the way back to the early 90s. $1,400 isn't going to be supported long term. It can't be.

A lot of people are going to be really screwed when they're left with these late 2021 $1,000+/1k-foot contracts.
    I was reading an industry analyst last week, and he thinks they’ll be back to within $100 of the average from prior to the run up. It’s just a matter of when and if it’s a convenient time for DIY people.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by psych View Post

So, should I wait a little longer on building a privacy fence around my backyard?
    The joke I saw yesterday:
    Lumber traders coping with concept that it literally grows on trees

But to answer your question, probably. Two reasons why:
    1) My feeling is this isn't actual, long-term inflation. It's inefficiencies in the supply chains caused by reopening significantly quicker than originally anticipated.
    2) This seems to be backed by the markets. The futures contracts on lumber are:
    Jul - $1,397
    Sep - $1,262
    Nov - $1,108
    Jan - $1,083
    Mar - $1,043
    May 22 - $943
    July 22 - $943

Before things went cuckoo, lumber was at like $375 +/- $75 going all the way back to the early 90s. $1,400 isn't going to be supported long term. It can't be.

A lot of people are going to be really screwed when they're left with these late 2021 $1,000+/1k-foot contracts. Good luck closing those even money.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    My neighbor has a yard half the size of mine. He got quotes for a wood privacy fence. Cheapest was $14k. It shouldn’t be more than 8k

Leave a comment:

• psych
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

a 2 by 4 by 8 KD was 12 bucks the other day, was 3 or 4 bucks last spring at most. 7/16 OSB, cheapest crap sheathing you can buy is up to 60 dollars a sheet in some places. Last spring, 8 bucks a sheet on sale. 3/4 plywood over a 100. No way would build a fence out of wood right now.
    Thank you. That’s what I’ve heard/read, just didn’t know how much more expensive it was right now.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by psych View Post

So, should I wait a little longer on building a privacy fence around my backyard?
    a 2 by 4 by 8 KD was 12 bucks the other day, was 3 or 4 bucks last spring at most. 7/16 OSB, cheapest crap sheathing you can buy is up to 60 dollars a sheet in some places. Last spring, 8 bucks a sheet on sale. 3/4 plywood over a 100. No way would build a fence out of wood right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X