X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The city had allowed it as they deemed my property to be less harmed overall with the seals so they said they had no obligation to force “improvement”

perhaps they realized If I slip and fall in the spring that my health insurance would have sued their homeowners
    I'd guess they knew if push comes to shove they can't change the flow of water onto your property

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

Is it like most landscaping where the HOA doesn't intervene even if they do something that crosses property without asking? Or because it's a swale it's different.
    The city had allowed it as they deemed my property to be less harmed overall with the seals so they said they had no obligation to force “improvement”

perhaps they realized If I slip and fall in the spring that my health insurance would have sued their homeowners

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Neighbors went and had the landscaper move the end of their swale to the street instead of my driveway. We hadn’t talked about this
    Is it like most landscaping where the HOA doesn't intervene even if they do something that crosses property without asking? Or because it's a swale it's different.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Neighbors went and had the landscaper move the end of their swale to the street instead of my driveway. We hadn’t talked about this

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I think our cat6 wiring was about $135 each. Plus had to pay for other hardware, like the wall box and switch. So not too bad. We only did 5 lines this time.

I'd recommend that you run 2 lines to the room/plate you use most. If anyone ever decides to do it. That way you can dedicate 1 to your TV, and have 1 for anything else you need to connect there.
    This is probably the right choice.

I've always said our forever home is going to have overside conduit runs to every room so if we ever need to pull wires in the future it's easier. I know that's a borderline insane expense, but if we ever want to add, it will pay itself back 10-fold.

The way we did it in our current house is just to run paintable flat conduit tucked up along the wall-ceiling intersection. Monoprice used to sell it but quit years ago. ANyways, ran a single wire to my office direct from the modem. Since almost all of the office equipment is in my office I just have an 8-port unmanaged switch which will eventually handle nearly all of the wires. Hue, security, printer, raspberry pi HASS, my computer, etc. We ran a single line through that conduit then out to the living room since there's a beam that runs the entire lenght of the house and nicely hides it. We just have an old router acting as a switch in the entertainment center. Wired up the appleTV, receiver, TV, Playstation, raspberry pi gaming console, etc. But I think I might swap out that router for an 8-port switch.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied

I think our cat6 wiring was about $135 each. Plus had to pay for other hardware, like the wall box and switch. So not too bad. We only did 5 lines this time.

I'd recommend that you run 2 lines to the room/plate you use most. If anyone ever decides to do it. That way you can dedicate 1 to your TV, and have 1 for anything else you need to connect there.
    Yeah, what I need to do is get a small switch for the main hub, which is in my living room. The mesh hub only has one hardwire output, which I plugged my TV into, but I'd like to hard wire my XBox as well.

Not a big deal as I don't really play many games that require a faster connection. I'm mainly impressed that I have excellent wifi all over my nearly-100 year old house that's mainly plaster walls/slats (and thus, effectively a faraday cage).

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    I thought of running cat6 wire throughout my house, but instead I went with an Asus Wifi mesh system and have had no problems. It was pretty expensive, but regularly we're running 2 video conference calls simultaneously without issue, and that's most of our heavy traffic.

Last edited by JF_Gophers; 10-21-2022, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I thought of running cat6 wire throughout my house, but instead I went with an Asus Wifi mesh system and have had no problems. It was pretty expensive, but regularly we're running 2 video conference calls simultaneously without issue, and that's most of our heavy traffic.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

INteresting. We're not a google house since we've standardized on iPhones. But something to consider in the future perhaps.

Do you have a lot of IoT?
    Just a few. Smart TVs, Bose SoundTouch, Ecobee, and security stuff. I won't let things like appliances connect.

Everything else is Phones, PCs or Games.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Nah. 90% of traffic is Wi-fi, despite having the wired option. I can always manage it if I get a clog.

I mean, it could happen. But seems a lot less likely.
    INteresting. We're not a google house since we've standardized on iPhones. But something to consider in the future perhaps.

Do you have a lot of IoT?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

No issues with broadcast storm?
    Nah. 90% of traffic is Wi-fi, despite having the wired option. I can always manage it if I get a clog.

I mean, it could happen. But seems a lot less likely.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

It's currently set up as unmanaged switch. I can use my Google Home to manage traffic.
    No issues with broadcast storm?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

WOW love it. Nice job on the ethernet. Managed or unmanaged?
    It's currently set up as unmanaged switch. I can use my Google Home to manage traffic.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Which reminds me. THe last two weeks have been a nightmare for our network. Every hour the network drops. I spent a couple evenings tracking down the root cause before I called comcast (I don't want to have to waste time with L1 and L2 only to have them send someone out and charge me $150). It was clearly a communication issue between my newish Netgear router and the Comcast DHCP or my modem. The router was dropping the lease from the WAN despite it having a 24-hour expiration. Bizarre.

So rebuilt the router twice from scratch. Factory reset the modem. Swapped out the modem with a spare I had sitting around. Factory reset it. Activated it with Comcast (wasn't very clear how to do that). Still every hour. Just banging my head against the way because nothing was obvious. Started to see similar issues on Reddit come up over the last couple years as Comcast swapped over to IPv6. Apparently Netgear has some bizarre stances that no one else in industry does. ANyways, I thought for sure that had to be it. I tried everything else. Crash course in IPv6, got the router setup for it, devices seemed to be getting v6 addresses, and finally went out to do a IPv6 test and it failed. But what caught my eye was my IPv4 address wasn't in the subnet from my modem....

fuck

It immediately hit me I had my security system router between the modem and what I considered my primary router. It's always been a passthrough basically. Never had any issues with it. Barely remember it exists. Went to the security system panel and sure enough, same subnet as the router. Felt very dumb. Pulled the security router out and put the primary router after the modem and it's been rock solid all day.

Glad I got it solved but now all of my wiring and switches are a mess. And I'm not sure if I can get the security system router to work behind my router. So that will need to be a call to comcast I'm sure. Anyways, I think I'm going to pick up a good managed switch to consolidate everything instead of running old routers as unmanaged switches in different rooms. I know they're expensive, but this network is only going to get more congested as we add more IoT and other crap. Then I don't have to have a delicate house of cards to sort through when it all goes wrong.

The other thing that struck me is that if this had happened to my mom or anyone who doesn't have at least a working understanding of how this all works, they'd have been told to buy a comcast modem, comcast router, and probably had at least two visits from Comcast and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars trying to fix.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    After many delays a few items finally completed on the updates we are doing to the new house.

- Tile floor is in for the main room and hallways.
    - Granite countertops installed.
    - Washer/Dryer and Fridge all delivered and setup.
    - Security system installed
    - Cat6 (ethernet) installed in walls, and central box setup.

A lot left to do however. :-(
    WOW love it. Nice job on the ethernet. Managed or unmanaged?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X