The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

... when they're done they play these little chimes that I swear go on for 30 seconds. I think 3 seconds or so would have sufficed.
    Do you keep thinking it's the top of the hour? :-)

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      We also have Samsung washer/dryer. They work well, but instead of a ding or buzzer when they're done they play these little chimes that I swear go on for 30 seconds. I think 3 seconds or so would have sufficed.
      LG will do the Harry Potter theme...
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Saw a notification that lumber futures took a dump yesterday. So I did some reading and learned a few things.

Like stocks, there are limits put on futures for how much they can increase or decrease in a given day. There are two limits that govern CME, Daily and Expanded. When you hit the daily limit, trading is halted until the limits can be expanded. For lumber, the daily is $42 and the expanded is $63.

Lumber has hit limits essentially all but two days so far in May (11 expanded and two daily). And in two of those days it hit both the limit up and down. So coming off the peak it was something like seven or eight days in a row, followed by three limit up, and now nearly limit down yesterday. Just insane.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Saw a notification that lumber futures took a dump yesterday. So I did some reading and learned a few things.

Like stocks, there are limits put on futures for how much they can increase or decrease in a given day. There are two limits that govern CME, Daily and Expanded. When you hit the daily limit, trading is halted until the limits can be expanded. For lumber, the daily is $42 and the expanded is $63.

Lumber has hit limits essentially all but two days so far in May (11 expanded and two daily). And in two of those days it hit both the limit up and down. So coming off the peak it was something like seven or eight days in a row, followed by three limit up, and now nearly limit down yesterday. Just insane.
          So, should I wait a little longer on building a privacy fence around my backyard?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

So, should I wait a little longer on building a privacy fence around my backyard?
            a 2 by 4 by 8 KD was 12 bucks the other day, was 3 or 4 bucks last spring at most. 7/16 OSB, cheapest crap sheathing you can buy is up to 60 dollars a sheet in some places. Last spring, 8 bucks a sheet on sale. 3/4 plywood over a 100. No way would build a fence out of wood right now.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

a 2 by 4 by 8 KD was 12 bucks the other day, was 3 or 4 bucks last spring at most. 7/16 OSB, cheapest crap sheathing you can buy is up to 60 dollars a sheet in some places. Last spring, 8 bucks a sheet on sale. 3/4 plywood over a 100. No way would build a fence out of wood right now.
              Thank you. That’s what I’ve heard/read, just didn’t know how much more expensive it was right now.

Comment

• My neighbor has a yard half the size of mine. He got quotes for a wood privacy fence. Cheapest was $14k. It shouldn’t be more than 8k

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

The joke I saw yesterday:
                  Lumber traders coping with concept that it literally grows on trees

But to answer your question, probably. Two reasons why:
                  1) My feeling is this isn't actual, long-term inflation. It's inefficiencies in the supply chains caused by reopening significantly quicker than originally anticipated.
                  2) This seems to be backed by the markets. The futures contracts on lumber are:
                  Jul - $1,397
                  Sep - $1,262
                  Nov - $1,108
                  Jan - $1,083
                  Mar - $1,043
                  May 22 - $943
                  July 22 - $943

Before things went cuckoo, lumber was at like $375 +/- $75 going all the way back to the early 90s. $1,400 isn't going to be supported long term. It can't be.

A lot of people are going to be really screwed when they're left with these late 2021 $1,000+/1k-foot contracts. Good luck closing those even money.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

1) My feeling is this isn't actual, long-term inflation. It's inefficiencies in the supply chains caused by reopening significantly quicker than originally anticipated.
                    Jul - $1,397
                    Sep - $1,262
                    Nov - $1,108
                    Jan - $1,083
                    Mar - $1,043
                    May 22 - $943
                    July 22 - $943

Before things went cuckoo, lumber was at like $375 +/- $75 going all the way back to the early 90s. $1,400 isn't going to be supported long term. It can't be.

A lot of people are going to be really screwed when they're left with these late 2021 $1,000+/1k-foot contracts.
                    I was reading an industry analyst last week, and he thinks they’ll be back to within $100 of the average from prior to the run up. It’s just a matter of when and if it’s a convenient time for DIY people.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      My neighbor has a yard half the size of mine. He got quotes for a wood privacy fence. Cheapest was $14k. It shouldn’t be more than 8k
                      I just bought a house and one of my new neighbors told me he's been wanting to replace the privacy fence between our backyards. He's a GC and would easily do the work himself, but the price of lumber is at the point where even he is waiting it out. The current fence is not in really bad shape, just over-weathered.

Like every other GC at the moment he's also booked out for the next 4-6 months, so paying him to re-do my gross 1980s master suite bathroom likely isn't going to be in the cards either.

Comment

Jul - $1,397
                        Sep - $1,262
                        Nov - $1,108
                        Jan - $1,083
                        Mar - $1,043
                        May 22 - $943
                        July 22 - $943

A lot of people are going to be really screwed when they're left with these late 2021 $1,000+/1k-foot contracts. Good luck closing those even money.
                        Thank you. I find many things interesting; futures contracts on lumber, or any commodity for that matter, isn’t one of them. I guess it should be, now that I own a house.

Comment

• Oh good. The fridge might have died. Luckily we have a small chest freezer and a mini fridge/freezer in the basement. Hoping the temps start dropping soon.

Moved a **** ton of water bottles into the basement freezers after moving the meats into them from the kitchen freezer. Hoping we can use those to keep the fridge cold until we can get a new one.
                          Code:

Comment

• I had a real dumb moment last week. I thought our fridge was dying as well. Went as far as to start planning the moves you're making, and searching for a new one. Wife comes in and moves the half gallon of milk blocking the vent.

oy.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Yeah we might be in the same boat. Tbd. But it's not making it's normal noises.

if this thing is dead, I'm getting the new model with 8g, 480 channels, and the hibachi built in.
                              Code:

Comment

• Well, the freezer section is lower in temp. the fridge has inched down but still holding at 50 drgF. Interesting because it's not making it's usually pop and gurgle sounds...

my dad's fridge had something similar. Turns out the evaporator coil in the freezer wasn't getting defrosted. Continuously ran but was absolutely covered in ice. I'm less confident that is my problem since it's not making it's normal sounds. But then again, the freezer has gotten colder.

Last night I did some googling and one guy said his fridge had a little plastic fan between the freezer and fridge to regulate temp. That went out and his symptoms were similar to mine. So might try to find the manuals to see if I have that or if I can even repair it myself.

otherwise... it is memorial weekend and our fridge is the only appliance I don't have an affinity for. Still going to try to repair, I'd rather not drop $2k if $200 or even $20 will suffice.

Side note, we noticed fridge prices have gone cuckoo when our dishwasher went out last August. Almost everything on the floor was $3+ with the aforementioned WiFi, hibachi, etc. I just want a fridge that works.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X